REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   LAPD homeless shooting (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701915-lapd-homeless-shooting.html)

Timpo 03-01-2015 09:11 PM

LAPD homeless shooting

oh shit! this is crazy :eek:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2133867

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1009126519115252

Altercation On Skid Row Leads To Deadly Officer-Involved Shooting « CBS Los Angeles

omeless man shot and killed by LAPD in altercation caught on tape (video warning: extremely graphic language)
BY TOBIAS SALINGER NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Sunday, March 1, 2015, 10:49 PM

Cops in Los Angeles fatally shot a homeless man they scuffled with in broad daylight in downtown L.A.’s Skid Row on Sunday, according to a disturbing video of the incident that a bystander later posted to social media.

Several cops struggled with a man, whose name hasn’t been released, in a pile of tents and sleeping materials on the 540 block of South San Pedro St. around 11:36 a.m. in the footage (with extremely graphic language) that the witness uploaded to Facebook, KCAL-TV reported.

The police officers wrestle the man to the ground after he throws a wild punch at them in the video. But, shortly after one of the cops shouts out, “Drop the gun. Drop the gun,” five shots ring out and the man lies motionless on the ground, according to the footage.

Some other eyewitnesses told the Los Angeles Times that the man, who, they know as “Africa,” and who may have been fighting with someone else in his tent when the cops arrived to the area in response to a robbery call, had reached for one of the officers’ service weapons.

A local also noted a municipal law requiring tents to be removed from the sidewalk during daylight hours, according to the Times.

The resident, who cited his name as Booker T. Washington, said simply, “This man got shot over a tent.”

The man was pronounced dead at a hospital not long after the shooting, a police spokesman told the Times. The spokesman, LAPD Sgt. Barry Montgomery, added that the cops had used a Taser at some point in the scrap.

“Upon their arrival, they made contact with the suspect, and during that contact, an altercation occurred,” Montgomery, who noted that LAPD's investigation of the shooting is ongoing, told KCAL.

SpartanAir 03-01-2015 09:50 PM

MUTHAFUCKAAAAAA-MUTHAFUCKA.

Well, it seems awful of course, but it's hard to see what actually happened. They say he reached for an officer's gun, and they're yelling "drop the gun", and they go from struggling on the ground with him, to up on their feet and one officer unloaded. If he had actually dropped it when they said to, they may not have shot him.

But again, it's hard to tell. And it seems much more dramatic with all the bystanders yelling. Even if you're standing as close as those people were, it still seems like it would be hard to tell what happened. I will say, FIVE SHOTS seems like a little much.

Obviously still doesn't bode well for US cops and their reputation these days for shooting civilians.

mike313 03-01-2015 10:09 PM

One shot would be alright in some sense but five shots?!? hmm

murd0c 03-01-2015 10:12 PM

Here's a good article telling what happened.
BREAKING VIDEO: LAPD Execute Mentally Ill Homeless Man in the Street | The Free Thought Project

CRS 03-01-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8603531)

I don't know that I would call that a good article.

From the start, the article is sets itself up as pretty biased and ends to up to be just another police hate piece.

pinn3r 03-01-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike313 (Post 8603529)

in the heat of the moment, judgment gets clouded

...especially when a homeless grabs a hold of your gun

Ludepower 03-01-2015 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike313 (Post 8603529)

You shoot to kill...not to injure.

Verdasco 03-01-2015 11:20 PM

you can hear "drop the gun"

if he did have the police officer's gun, sounds justified to me...

multicartual 03-01-2015 11:20 PM

None of us give a fuck

Stop pretending you do

Let this be the last post in this thread

RIP Dude

Verdasco 03-02-2015 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8603574)
None of us give a fuck

Stop pretending you do

Let this be the last post in this thread

RIP Dude

if someone has time to post a comment in any thread in any forum, they gave a fuck. You just did

SpartanAir 03-02-2015 07:59 AM

As stated in that second article, I'm sure it's true that the police are trained to condition the witnesses by yelling out things like "stop resisting" and "drop the gun", even if the guy had stopped resisting or had only reached for the gun.

Otherwise, as we all assume, it looks like a bunch of cops beating the shit out of one guy for seemingly no reason or without context if you're witnessing from a distance.

J-Chow 03-02-2015 09:13 AM

http://www.braidwoodinquiry.ca/repor...Management.jpgand back to the IMIM model.

Don't know if US enforcement agencies use this model, but this is how Canada justifies use of force.

If homeless guy actually got a hold of the officer's service pistol, that's considered death or grevious bodily harm because he could easily shoot the officers and everyone around him, and hence, you would use lethal force.

BUT, since there's always two sides to a story,
if he tried to reach for the service pistol, but didn't actually have it in hand, and maybe tried to grab it but couldn't, then "you could" justify using other options, but lethal force is an option to consider as well, since he did "try" to obtain an officer's pistol.

If I were a cop, and someone tried to reach for my pistol, I'd perceive that as an indication of grevious bodily harm or death. If I was by myself, I'd take out the pistol if he tried to reach for it and order them to get back on the floor.

But since back up was readily available, and that the subject was tazered, I'd prefer a doggy pile over the guy.

just my 2 cents.

Hot Karl 03-02-2015 09:36 AM

trayvon, ferguson missouri.

let me know what those incidents did to change unarmed black men getting gunned down.

BART shooting, north carolina had a good one a few years ago. i can't remember them all but within 6 months we'll have another one of these.

multi is right. who the fuck cares? it's as relevant as kanye doing something dumb. ya talk about it for a day or two and then it's gone like a fart in the wind. has no cultural relevance despite all the attempts to make it so.

noclue 03-02-2015 02:39 PM

LA skid row makes hastings st look like yaletown in comparison.

murd0c 03-02-2015 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 8603898)
LA skid row makes hastings st look like yaletown in comparison.

Wasn't Hastings one of the worst in North America before?

Sid Vicious 03-02-2015 02:56 PM

hastings has alotta bums and junkies, but nowhere near as much violent crime as any american city

SumAznGuy 03-02-2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8603909)
hastings has alotta bums and junkies, but nowhere near as much violent crime as any american city

Heck, Hastings doesn't even compare to Whalley. :heckno:

Think about all the old people who still walk around Chinatown in the day time. You never hear of anything happening to them. 6-7 am, you would be surprise at how many older folks are out for their morning walks.