REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #26
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
Weapons = used against people

Firearms = device used for target practice

Always when asked by an officer if you have weapons, correct them and say no, I have firearms, personal experience.
This is my rifle, this is my gun.
This is for fighting, this is for fun.

Advertisement

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
I'm not arguing that firearms can't be used as weapons, I'm saying that firearms, like knives, are inadvertently tools/equipment.
Firearms aren't exactly as multifunctional as knives though. In the most basic sense it's a tool for very effectively exerting a lot of force on a small area from a distance, but that's about it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Would change the tile from weapon to bow or something. Weapons = kill people.

As for bows. I have a few.
Old fiberglass re-curve from my grandfather when he was in his 20's. Martin Super Diablo 55lb, a Quest Drive Flux 70lb and a Barnet Rage crossbow.
Used to be really into archery but only get out once a year now...if im lucky.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #29
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
fuckin chop u
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:09 AM   #30
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
I'm not arguing that firearms can't be used as weapons, I'm saying that firearms, like knives, are inadvertently tools/equipment.
This is how I personally classify the terms.

Weapon = something made primarily to cause harm. Example: firearms, bow and arrow, swords, combat knife, ninja stars
Tool = something made primarily to help make a task easier (other than to cause harm) Example: butcher knife, butter knife, axe, machete, baseball bat, flare guns

But here's the thing. You can use a weapon as a tool, such as using firearms to legally hunt.
And of course, you can also use tools, like a machete, as a weapon.
You can also use a sporting equipment, such as a baseball bat, and modify it to change it's intent to a weapon by simply putting nails in it.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 03-03-2015 at 12:26 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2015, 02:19 AM   #31

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
What about nukes or enriched uranium?
Old 03-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #32

The action that the object is used for classifies it.
A hammer is a tool when used to drive a nail, and becomes a weapon when used to kill someone.
This does not differ. Military have weapons because there one and only purpose to have a gun is to use it to shoot at other people. A hunter or target shooter can use the same gun to participate in there sport, and at that note it becomes a tool.

Tool, something that facilitates a task. So if your task is to put holes in paper form 1000 yards, a gun would be the ideal tool.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
What about nukes or enriched uranium?
A nukes one and only purpose is to take life, therefore it is a weapon.
Uranium is a substance and has many uses.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #34
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

does this count?
J'zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
A nukes one and only purpose is to take life, therefore it is a weapon.
Peaceful Nuclear Explosions | PNE

7 (Crazy) Civilian Uses for Nuclear Bombs | WIRED
Old 03-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #36

Quote:
So if your task is to put holes in paper form 1000 yards, a gun would be the ideal tool.
1000 yards is a 1/2 a mile. I think that would be pretty far unless you are a sniper. For paper target practice a BB gun would be better because it holds a lot more ammo and is cheaper to operate.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #37
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
A knife is a tool, you can use it to cut open boxes, open letters, pry stuff, etc.

I really don't see how you can classify a firearm in the same way you classify a knife.

Many people carry pistols in the states, never have I seen them use it as a tool in any way. A gun can be used for target practice or as a hobby, and thats fine, but individuals who carry them on a daily basis are utilizing that gun for protection, and is therefore a weapon.

I carry a knife all the time, I have many, I collect them as some are pieces of art, but I also use them every day. Like I said above they have many uses in my day to day life. That's a tool.

EDIT: Yes okay if you are going hunting its a tool. You're goal is to get some food, firearm facilitates that. I was more so thinking of an EDC type scenario.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 03-04-2015 at 01:26 PM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
A knife is a tool, you can use it to cut open boxes, open letters, pry stuff, etc.

I really don't see how you can classify a firearm in the same way you classify a knife.

Many people carry pistols in the states, never have I seen them use it as a tool in any way. A gun can be used for target practice or as a hobby, and thats fine, but individuals who carry them on a daily basis are utilizing that gun for protection, and is therefore a weapon.

I carry a knife all the time, I have many, I collect them as some are pieces of art, but I also use them every day. Like I said above they have many uses in my day to day life. That's a tool.

EDIT: Yes okay if you are going hunting its a tool. You're goal is to get some food, firearm facilitates that. I was more so thinking of an EDC type scenario.
So when does it cross the line from being a tool (your examples given) to a weapon (used to cut heads off in the news all over the world in the past few years). Did the knife change some how? or was it the use of that knife that changed?
Yes, if you carry a firearm it is for the protection of life. The use of the item changed, not the item. The only reason why someone would carry is to defend against another person or animal (kill), therefore making it a weapon.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
1000 yards is a 1/2 a mile. I think that would be pretty far unless you are a sniper. For paper target practice a BB gun would be better because it holds a lot more ammo and is cheaper to operate.
1000 yards is far, even for a sniper haha.

But yes, I shoot F Class and have shot out to these ranges. Loads of fun (IMO). The BB gun is fun (my kids enjoy theres when we go out) but there is no replacing sending a round down range over 1/2 a mile away and hitting exactly what you intended. Very satisfying BUT expensive hobby.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #40

So in these cases, the "nukes" would be a tool used to do construction. I was not aware of any uses for them, but sure enough there is.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #41
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
So when does it cross the line from being a tool (your examples given) to a weapon (used to cut heads off in the news all over the world in the past few years). Did the knife change some how? or was it the use of that knife that changed?
Yes, if you carry a firearm it is for the protection of life. The use of the item changed, not the item. The only reason why someone would carry is to defend against another person or animal (kill), therefore making it a weapon.
Of course it comes down to the use.

My point was that:

You can justify carrying a knife day to day by the fact that it has more uses than just killing people, of which I named off a few uses which I use my knife for every single day.

A gun which is carried as an EDC item is a weapon, it has absolutely no place in anyone's day to day life unless it is being used for protection, which still makes it a weapon.

--

A perfect example was given above, a hammer, its a tool, nobody will tell you its not a tool, but as soon as you use it to bash in someone face, everyone and their mother knows it is a weapon.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Of course it comes down to the use.

My point was that:

You can justify carrying a knife day to day by the fact that it has more uses than just killing people, of which I named off a few uses which I use my knife for every single day.

A gun which is carried as an EDC item is a weapon, it has absolutely no place in anyone's day to day life unless it is being used for protection, which still makes it a weapon.

--

A perfect example was given above, a hammer, its a tool, nobody will tell you its not a tool, but as soon as you use it to bash in someone face, everyone and their mother knows it is a weapon.
Agree 100%. My point is that the tools intended use is what makes it a weapon, not what the tool itself is.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #43
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Knives are subjective.

You'll be questioned by police if you have a ka-bar strapped to you in public in an urban area, though a leatherman would probably be fine. It's rare for a knife to be confiscated, as the law doesn't define knives (that aren't prohib) as weapons as long as your intent isn't to cause harm.

Unloaded, unrestricted firearms actually follow the same guidelines, you can transport a 12g shotgun with you anywhere you want (except gun free zones) at any time for any reason other than to disrupt order, defend yourself or to cause harm/commit a crime.

Nobody does that because a vast majority of people aren't used to that, so you'd have paranoid cops and civilians everywhere around you.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #44
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
This thread wack homie
Old 03-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #45

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Knives are subjective.

You'll be questioned by police if you have a ka-bar strapped to you in public in an urban area, though a leatherman would probably be fine. It's rare for a knife to be confiscated, as the law doesn't define knives (that aren't prohib) as weapons as long as your intent isn't to cause harm.
The important part is that I believe you need to have at least part of the knife visible at all times (the clip being on the outside of your pocket counts) and if asked about any knife always refer to it as a utility knife. You can technically have throwing knives and such but if you refer to it as a throwing knife you're gonna have a bad time.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #46
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The important part is that I believe you need to have at least part of the knife visible at all times (the clip being on the outside of your pocket counts) and if asked about any knife always refer to it as a utility knife. You can technically have throwing knives and such but if you refer to it as a throwing knife you're gonna have a bad time.
Correct, though a lot of people adhere to the idea of "out of sight, out of mind". "Legally" you have to open carry any knives you have on you, otherwise it's classified as a concealed weapon.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote