REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Red Deer - Moving (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702041-red-deer-moving.html)

DGN23 03-07-2015 02:09 PM

Red Deer - Moving

Going to be moving up to Red Deer this summer for work for the next 2 years. Looking for any tips for living in Alberta or more specifically Red Deer if anyone has lived there before.

I will be living on my own and plan to rent instead of buy as I don't see the point in buying as I am only staying short term. Any help is appreciated.

bcuzracecarz 03-07-2015 04:25 PM

you'll love the lack of rain that's for sure, it's cold as you know so layer up, it's a decent sized working town so tons of guys that like to hunt, fish, and snowmobile/atv all while drinking :smug: fairly close to either Edmonton or Calgary too so if you miss the city then can get you're fix there...although I'd recommend Calgary over Edmonton anyday

Good luck, I work all over Alberta and the West half of Canada so been to and seen it all, Red Deer isn't so bad once you get used to the winters

GabAlmighty 03-07-2015 04:31 PM

If you have the cash i'd consider buying, rent out there (although not sure with the downturn in the price of oil) is ridiculous. Can also look at buying/renting in Blackfalds as it's right nearby.

Tips: buy a quad/sled and a side by side, and a diesel. Then everyone will think you're one of the locals.

sdubfid 03-07-2015 06:04 PM

Need to register your car in ab within 90 days. If you are a non resident you have up to 183 cumulative days you can have a bc registered car with territory z insurance.

meme405 03-07-2015 06:26 PM

I thought you meant they were moving red deer... Had my hopes on them moving it to coastal BC so I don't have to go to Alberta as much...
:troll:

DGN23 03-07-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8606399)
I thought you meant they were moving red deer... Had my hopes on them moving it to coastal BC so I don't have to go to Alberta as much...
:troll:

I will certainly bring that up when I get to town.

Preemo 03-08-2015 01:30 PM

Don't forget to change provincial medical coverage (MSP).

Car insurance ... fuck man. Registration and insurance are two different things here. Two different locations unless you sign up for an AMA membership and can get everything done in one location.

Winters. Don't cheap out on snow tires. Have a decent winter jacket and if you can ... rent a place with underground parking or a garage. You will thank me for it. Trust.

Weather. As mentioned above rain lasts like ... at most a few hours. Clouds come and go quickly.

And be prepared for lack of ... scenery. Ie mountains, forests and other nature shit.

Other then that ... live and adapt.

toehook 03-08-2015 02:21 PM

Jack up your car into a monster truck. No one will suspect a thing. :pokerface:
Jokes aside, good luck!

TekDragon 03-08-2015 07:36 PM

Block heater for the winter will help.
A good winter jacket, and dress in layers. And gloves, you'll need gloves.
Snow tires are an absolute must come winter time here.
Come winter, change your washer fluid to something that doesn't freeze. I know this seems self explanatory, but you'd be surprised. It happens more than you think.

Costco has liquor stores. By law, they cannot charge for a membership for a liquor store. There is one in Red Deer. Kirkland alcohol is pretty good.

And lastly, gas is cheap. Enjoy that.

DC5-S 03-08-2015 08:55 PM

You should be asking this on 780tuners

Reeyal 03-09-2015 07:04 AM

Moving in the summer is not bad, weather wise.

Be prepared for the average -20C winter though. It will dip below -30C for about a week at a time. -40C is rare; it will only last for a day or two. Snow will start to hit the ground by middle of October and will stay around until middle of April. The air is extremely dry in the winter as heaters will just burn up all of the water in the air.

Winter tires is highly recommended. Snow/ice windshield wipers and washer fluid are a must. Obviously, you want to put in winter washer fluid before the temperature drops below freezing.

Also, an engine block heater is a must during the winter months. A four cylinder engine will have a hard time starting when temperature dips below -20C.

If possible, using a heated parking space/garage or having a remote engine starter is highly recommended. You wouldn't want to sit in your vehicle at -20C for 10 minutes until it is drivable.

Simply, winter really sucks. It becomes miserable by when January hits. Save some vacation time for warmer destinations.

multicartual 03-09-2015 08:01 AM

Why would anyone live in that shithole willingly?!?!?

unkicrackie 03-09-2015 10:30 AM

Weather in the winter is about -5C on average. We will get a couple cold snaps where it gets -30C with the wind chill. It's been extremely warm in past years and the snow is all melted this year with motorcycles and nicer cars out already. As mentioned, winter tires are a must. I only had mine installed for a month this year though. Don't really need to rely on a block heater either, I have never needed it but of course it will help out.

Summers are mild, average of it being 25C. Not so humid so it's tolerable. I prefer the climate in the summer here over the coast, it's just that there's really nothing pretty to look at...

Best of luck to you with your move.

TekDragon 03-09-2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8606934)
Why would anyone live in that shithole willingly?!?!?

Because it's impossible to get a good paying career going there and housing is expensive.

Vancouver240sx 03-10-2015 12:09 PM

I've only been once, for a national autocross championhsip event. It was a great lot and had friendly people. If you're into motorsports it could be fun to get into and an easy way to meet new people.

Rich

DGN23 03-11-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekDragon (Post 8606765)
Block heater for the winter will help.
Snow tires are an absolute must come winter time here.

I've been looking at getting something with AWD. But i'd prefer to just keep the car I have that is FWD. Is that going to be a nightmare to drive in or should it be fine?

TekDragon 03-11-2015 10:07 PM

FWD is fine. I made it around fine with a little subcompact FWD for two winters. Hell, even driven to Vancouver and back during November and February. Just invest in some snow tires.

Everymans 03-12-2015 08:55 PM

I lived in red deer for 2 years when i was younger. I visited the city during christmas and it has doubled in size since I lived there. My favorite part of the city is the bike paths along the river. I also remember there being a tube ride down a rocky section of the river that was really fun.

As for living in alberta general here's a few things to know.
1.The queen elizebeth highway(the road between edmonton and calgary) gets really ugly during the winter. The chinooks from the mountains cause some wicked snow drifts to form over the highway. There's at least one major pileup every winter on that highway.
2.Sylvan lake is not too far from Red Deer and is basically Okanagan lake Lite. Really awesome water park there and some amazing beaches.
3.Wetaskawin is a small city an hour north of Red Deer. For some reason it's a mecca for car dealership. Their slogan is "We sell cars for less in Wetaskawin". I'm not sure if that is completely true or not. Might be a good place to find a winter beater.
4.All the basics of winter that have been mentioned in this thread. Get a block heater for your car, get some decent winter clothes, make sure to get a tv so you don't get bored senseless during the winter.
5.you have to change over your insurance after 90 days or else you can get some wicked fines. Also, if you buy a car older then 10 years you need to get a safety inspection to insure it.
6.Check out a Red Deer Rebels game. They're a pretty exciting team. I remember they won the memorial cup a few times back when i lived there. If you're into hockey there's a great, expansive, outdoor skating rink not too far from downtown. They had one of the longest continuous hockey games there.