REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 03-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
school..........

I am looking to take a course for this up coming month but I heard that its not so simple, different school has different outcome for the company that I am hoping to land on. I just don't want to take business course at bcit and not able to find a job when I should had went to for example SFU for a higher chance of me getting a job. Yes I am interested in studying a business course.
Advertisement
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Is this a course as in single course or is it a program? BCIT programs often yield higher success rates in the field of interest. Most companies don't care where you got your bachelor's or whatnot as long as you have one. However, some only hire if you're from UBC and above. Check your company's hiring policies if you want to be employed in that specific company at that specific position

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #3

yes a single course up to two years for business operation management.
but yes thanks for letting me know to check up on the company specific requirement.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
school has taught me 1 thing.
IT DOESN'T MOTHER FOOKING matter in the long run.

going to UBC will not make u a better candidate versus SFU.

what you take in school will most likely MEAN SHITLESS to you in real life. (if you're an engineer, computer science, account etc yes... the concepts will be a requirement, but just because you took business management, 90% of the time, you'll not going to be able to use it).

Here's my past
SFU ECON, mofo useless
1st 1st job: telus mobility... honger store selling cell phones 10 dollars / hr.
1st job: telemarkter 8 - 10 dollars, 16 dollars
2nd job: sales 30k career
3rd job: sales, world largest distribution, fortune 60 33k - 66k
4th job: sales, telecommunication, but i aint' technical at all, fortune 100, 50- 70k
current job: fortune 1000, information management, 6 figures..

I have never had to use my economics degree. never had i ever put in university degree nor did GPA ever come into factor. again, if u're in business and taking finance and you want to get to technical roles then yes... but all in all, non of the courses mean a thing.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #5

but as far as i can see you need a certain type of education to get farther in life and to archive a better salary you need an education. judging by your opinion you are saying that there is no point in going back to school to improve and learn more for yourself. I can understand that the education that vancouver provided us is unbelievable with high tuition cost, almost like making us have a second thought about even to take it or not.

on the other hand, has anyone here on revscene ever taken any course that is related to business?
Old 03-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Specifically what "course" at BCIT?

Are you talking about a Business Operation Management program that lasts 2 years (full-time diploma) which consists of many courses?

You will probably get more exposure for networking if you go to BCIT. The level of education won't make much difference whether you take a program at UBC or BCIT (provided the company you want doesn't only have a strict hiring policy, ie. has to have a diploma/degree at UBC).

Also if you have no previous education that will help you, and you want to get into management, I suggest you take the course and not work your way up from an entry position.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #7

Im going to take the course as i dont want to work my way up from the bottom and if its only beneficial
Old 03-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #8

on the other hand, have you guys ever taken up student loans?
Old 03-14-2015, 11:46 PM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
but as far as i can see you need a certain type of education to get farther in life and to archive a better salary you need an education. judging by your opinion you are saying that there is no point in going back to school to improve and learn more for yourself. I can understand that the education that vancouver provided us is unbelievable with high tuition cost, almost like making us have a second thought about even to take it or not.
That's what many of us grew up being told (that you need to go to school to make more money). But it's not true. Go back to school if you really understand why you're there and it'll help get you where you want to go. Not if you're going to school just for the sake of it or you expect to suddenly be able to make more money.
Minto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
I had my fair share of student loans. if you need them, max it out and borrow. you do have to pay them back. Be sure to talk to the counsellor because they know what to fill out much better than you to leverage the best outcome.

as for school; i have seen 3 types of people
1) some work experience, went to do MBA and got great networks and found his way to MS. Again, you better be in your A-game. 80k for masters is not something you should waste your time in if you don't know what you want out of it.
2) 9-5 worker, min. wage - 14 dollars. Girls going back to do nursing, came out earning 32 dollars an hour. It is possible. Again, end game was a) focused b) know its time for career change
3) min. wage, going back to school because she wants to upgrade...... well, if you go to schoool and come back and finish some writing diploma... good lucky that helping you getting a better career.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #11

so after a little research i narrow down to some ideas and I decided not to take business any more and started having some passion about the film industry. Of course I'm not taking film are anything particularly though. I decided to take Foundation Visual Art & Design/Sound Design for Visual Media. I just have some concern at the back of my head about how Im going to land a job afterwards. Today I just checked out the facilities and amazingly every room has raised my interest more about what i am about to get myself into. I know this might sound crazy but for just 2 programs one year each is going to cost me a total of 45-50k with student loan. Now I know the tuition is high compare to other schools but it should be fine right? Hard work pays off? Oh yeah has anyone or does know anyone that had graduated from VFS?
Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I do, he's now a pharmacy technician for VGH because he couldn't find work in film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #13

that really crushed my hopes..
Old 03-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #14
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Better now than after you waste 40-50k in student loans right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:44 PM   #15

should had included this with my recent post but how long ago was this when he graduated from vfs? back then till now probably had changed alot due to the economy.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #16
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Engineering... Engineering is always the better option.

I only know one person out of at least a dozen people i know that did well when it came to Visual Arts and stuff like that, and he is a fellow RSer, and he is EXTREEMMEEELEYYY TALENTED.

Whatever you do you are going to want to be passionate about it. Or else you will never get through it, and even if you did it would be tough finding a job because the passion is not there.

Good Luck!
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #17

really dont want to spend my whole life doing something im not interested in. Are you a engineer nabs?
Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #18
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
really dont want to spend my whole life doing something im not interested in.
How old are you? guaranteed you will change your mind or career path at least 3 to 4 times before you find something that you are truly passionate about. Some people are not so lucky as to find that career.

And yes I am.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
Old 03-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #19

ive just turned 24 not long ago. you?
Old 03-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #20
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

About my age, lets just say I spent a fair amount of years living life.

I would say your best bet is to go to open houses and tours of schools and different departments. Talk to the students and more importantly talk to the graduates and if you can, find people that are working. It will give you the best understanding of things. It took me a while and a lot of moving around but I finally found something that I consider the best career for myself, and I still have a lot of room and space to move up in the industry, the sky is the limit.

On top of all that I am still going to school part time to further my education and push it and direct it in the direction I want it to go. Some people say school is a waste of time and money, some of those people it rings true because they got lucky, a majority of them however are living paycheck to paycheck now, you most likely won't be working in a field EXACTLY what you go to school for, but it sure as hell opens up doors.

I wouldn't waste money on art school/visual arts unless you are already talented in that field and are looking to get accreditation in the form of a degree and/or diploma to prove that talent. Those schools are mainly for honing in and perfecting your pre existing skills in such fields, they are not for building and growing talent where it doesn't (yet) exist. Like I said I have known many people that have been through visual arts school and only ONE person I know is successful in such field, and he is extremely successful, however he is extremely talented.

Go to open houses, seminars and such and talk to people. If you want to learn about engineering field you can PM me and we can chat.

Good Luck.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:11 AM   #21

thanks nab, but i have been going to varieties of open houses including bcit. During bcit days i was interested in business and media but i turned that down. after two years down the road of working full time with min wages it lead me to VFS. This could be that one path that might lead me somewhere as im passionate and optimistically very interested in this kind of field. Whats holding me back is the cost of the tuition and if i am able to find a job to pay of those loans. I also hear good and bad things about this school but in the end I really think its only up to me to make the choice.