REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 03-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
1995 Integra rear brake squeal

Been bugging me the last little while on my DD...looking for some insight

RR caliper along with the pads was replaced January 2014 but the last couple of weeks i've noticed that there's a squeal coming from the right rears.
I haven't had too much time to look into it deeper but so far:

- i've checked it out after my drive to and from work and the lug nuts are hot to the touch unlike the Driver Rear caliper, (i'm on steelies at the moment)
- i can only hear the squealing on low speeds
- noticed that car is slightly pulling to the right, not that bad but enough to notice on the steering wheel
- jacked it up and tried spinning both rear wheels to compare, both still spin when the ebrake is released but the RR one struggles, squeals at times and is generally harder to spin compared to the DR
- checked for play and there doesn't seem to be any

Finally have time to look into it this weekend...exactly what could it be? At the moment i'm leaning towards the caliper being faulty and not fully disengaging but a friend of mine suggested that it could also be the rear wheel bearing.
Is it most likely the caliper or is there another issue i'm missing?

Some suggestions and insight would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

If it was a bearing, you'd hear a humming/growling from it too, louder as you go faster.
Most likely its the rear caliper sticking or seizing. That would explain the difficulty spinning and heat.

Just curious, was that an aftermarket or Acura/Honda re-man rear caliper you replaced with last year?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #3

Yeah...I thought itd be more of a caliper issue...definitely has the signs of one.
but I'd never encountered a bearing issue before

iirc it's a reman caliper, got it from lordco.
when I replaced it the first one I got was a dud too...wouldn't engage...pissed me off too had to redo the job all over again.
Wouldn't be surprised if this is alrdy messed up.

Thanks for the input
Old 03-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
sounds like your caliper is seizing or your ebrake is seizing on that side
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #5

ebrake as in the ebrake line?

i dunno...either way its gonna be a pain in the ass start to my weekend. I'm hoping Lordco will let me exchange it since i bought it just a little over a year ago but i somehow doubt that.

would it be better if i went with aftermarket instead of re-man?
Old 03-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

could be a cable but not very common. might be very difficult to find new aftermarket calipers. not sure if that would even be an option. I've seen many reman rear calipers have problems.
oem reman from acura is an option but expensive. But by far a much better than the aftermarket rebuilds
Old 03-12-2015, 06:47 AM   #7

i see...i'll check around and see what the price difference will be like. i just replaced the DR side this year too...if that fails within a year then ultra face palm.

the cable might be worth a look, the story of my life with car problems revolves around not very common so it could well be a cable issue. at least i'm catching it this time...last time it seized on me it got to the point where the entire rim was getting hot to the touch cus the pad wore down completely.

Thanks for the tips...i'll update the thread on what it is as soon as i find out.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #8
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
back when i had an integra i had this same reoccuring problem and the dealer was always saying they had to clean and reset the parking brake because it was dragging due to winter crap buildup, so all the talk above over the parking brake may have some truth to it.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #9

checked it out...looks like the rotors were just rusty as hell and the pads were catching on it, i suspect the caliper may be sticking a little but i don't think it's that bad...i'm running some thicker pads too...that may be the case.

replaced the rotors and so far the past few days, the noise is gone as well as the excessive heat. Though i did notice that with everything off, it was still a bit hard to spin the wheel hub on that side...someone told me that it could be a sign that the bearing is on the way. I guess i should keep an eye out for any humming/growling noise in the future.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Similar problem with me. My RR brake while moderate to hard breaking its a terrible sound. I need to open it up and take a look
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #11

that damn side is acting up again
i'm suspecting it's just shitty brake pads cus it was ok for a while...now it just kinda sounds like the pad is rubbing on something at low speeds.

doesn't seem like its a stuck caliper...i've tried spinning the wheel and it doesn't struggle, but it still makes that rubbing/groaning sound.

it's been a few weeks so far...should i just wait this out and at maybe at some point the pad will even itself out and the noise will go away? i'm too damn lazy to deal with this shit right now.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

least its not you caliper mounting bolts that disappeared like mine....
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote