REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:13 AM   #26
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Before going any further off topic,

First off, get rid of the CMHC and CREA then cut off easy access to cheap domestic credit; then sit back and watch price correct itself

All other methods are band-aid solutions.
Advertisement

Last edited by Gululu; 03-17-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
Before going any further off topic,

First off, get rid of the CMHC and the easy access to cheap domestic credit; then sit back and watch price correct itself

All other methods are band-aid solutions.
Banks are paid interest as a form of consideration for the risk which they undertake, CMHC protects the bank from that risk in consideration for the premium paid – by the home buyer, not the bank. (Which is IMO, just slightly backwards)

Ultimately CMHC is backed by the Gov, in the event of a housing/default crisis, the Gov would step in to bail CMHC and the banks out – via the tax payers.

Ultimately then, you have banks that are basically guaranteed to never suffer a significant loss as a result of home mortgage loan defaults as they have insurance (paid for by the mortgagee) and the Gov to bail them out. (Taxpayer dollars!)

I wonder what the interest rates would look like today if the CMHC didn’t exist, I suspect it would be much higher and getting approved for a mortgage would be much more difficult. But god forbid, that would mean the banks actually have some skin in the game.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #28
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
Which city in Canada do you think is still a hidden gem and a good place to consider moving to where it is affordable, has beautiful landscape and some culture.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #29

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Which city in Canada do you think is still a hidden gem and a good place to consider moving to where it is affordable, has beautiful landscape and some culture.
Victoria, Courtenay, Comox.

I just moved back from Victoria (lived there for 5 years) - wonderful place. Great for raising a family and way lower cost of living. Nice culture there too.

Courtenay/Comox is lovely as well - even lower cost of living though the work opportunities aren't very good.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Victoria is a nice place if you're into the whole British empire nostalgia thing. It's probably the most British place in North America. If you work for the provincial government, you're golden. Climate is nice too.

There's lots of communities on the island where you can get land and a garage/wrecking yard for your various projects. The trouble is finding a job that pays more than 60K/year. If you're self-employed, you could make a go of it.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #31
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I read through the whole article.

I think haters are going to hate.

I used to live in Coal Harbour and I agree with him that a lot of the condos look empty. If you walk around at night, there aren't many apartments with their lights on.

However, I live in Richmond now, and when I go to playgrounds with my toddler, almost every kid is speaking mandarin. When I go to restaurants in Richmond, the majority of the Chinese people there are speaking mandarin. Obviously, there are quite a few "mainlanders" that have decided to stay, live, and contribute to the economy.

Has Vancouver changed? Definitely. But so has the rest of the world. I wouldn't say it is in decline. This isn't Detroit or New Orleans.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #32
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I can't wait until I can own another Vancouverite, give it 20 years
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #33
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Victoria, Courtenay, Comox.

I just moved back from Victoria (lived there for 5 years) - wonderful place. Great for raising a family and way lower cost of living. Nice culture there too.

Courtenay/Comox is lovely as well - even lower cost of living though the work opportunities aren't very good.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #34
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Prince Rupert?

vudooca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #35

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Victoria is a nice place if you're into the whole British empire nostalgia thing. It's probably the most British place in North America. If you work for the provincial government, you're golden. Climate is nice too.

There's lots of communities on the island where you can get land and a garage/wrecking yard for your various projects. The trouble is finding a job that pays more than 60K/year. If you're self-employed, you could make a go of it.
Victoria can be pretty British but that's really just the core of the city. Once you're 5 minutes out it's any other BC town. Low density housing, leafy streets and very friendly people. I loved it. I had a place with room for my 2 cars, was down by the water and was a 12 min walk to work. Could golf 10 months of the year.

The pay ain't great outside of a small number of companies but the lower cost of living really helps especially if you don't mind a 25 minute commute (that's considered a long way in Victoria).
Old 03-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #36
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Speak for yourself, if you have the money Vancouver is paradise

If you don't have money you'll probably serve the people that do
yep.

the city is upgrading, and will leave you behind whether you like it or not. you have to keep up with the rest of the people, whether or not they were born here or came here first or not.

add another 0 to the end of your income. make that your goal. that should be everyone's goal.

imagine if properties here were already sky high cuz everyone here were rich, then no mainlanders would move here haha... unlikely though.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #37

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
I read through the whole article.

I think haters are going to hate.

I used to live in Coal Harbour and I agree with him that a lot of the condos look empty. If you walk around at night, there aren't many apartments with their lights on.

However, I live in Richmond now, and when I go to playgrounds with my toddler, almost every kid is speaking mandarin. When I go to restaurants in Richmond, the majority of the Chinese people there are speaking mandarin. Obviously, there are quite a few "mainlanders" that have decided to stay, live, and contribute to the economy.

Has Vancouver changed? Definitely. But so has the rest of the world. I wouldn't say it is in decline. This isn't Detroit or New Orleans.
could this not also be the case of working class chinese immigrants have also come here, those that work, pay taxes, etc. i.e. the kind of immigrants that add value (preferably from all over the world, not just china/india, as is the trend for Vancouver) - the only thing is, vancouver has no spine and will not make people assimilate.

i love different cultures - but i also think it is a show of respect for your new home to assimilate. then again, maybe assimilation in vancouver just means joining the community - in richmond, that's chinese.

this is just my opinion, maybe i'm a minority. maybe that's why i left?
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #38
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
That's because at the time, Canada was much better than HK and anyone who immigrated/invested from hk to Canada would be foolish to stay in HK compared to Canada. Now HK's economy is doing better than Canada and people can't find jobs, Hongers are moving back. They get to keep their cheap Canadian education, keep their citizenship for benefits, keep their passports but live in HK and will probably return to Canada to retire and live off the social system without contributing to it.
This and everyone's grandparents getting money from the government when they didn't work/contribute to the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
They did/do... I was just pointing out that it's different from the current situation. About 30K people have left for various reason... As for when or if they'll come back, that depends on the situation of each of these 30,000 reverse migrants. The way things are going, I expect quite a few of them to go back to Canada once again. The whole reason for the 90's mass exodus in the first place is finally coming true, and it's happening rapidly.

Unlike the current situation in the OP, these people aren't maliciously taking advantage of the system. They're just acting in their best interest, as Canadians. Hell I did the same thing, and I'll probably move back eventually once things here completely turn to shit. That doesn't mean I'm maliciously ripping off Canada. It just means I am living the way I want to live - the one thing that is truly great about being Canadian.
Agreed with Skinny. Everyone is just trying to have a better life for themselves and their families. Somewhere along the way you're going to end up unintentionally stepping on others to get where you want. As a metaphor think of everyone's quality of life as a energy. This works well also because of the world's current population. The total quality of life available can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only change forms. So when your quality of life is going up you're probably taking it from someone else (eg. taking their resources).

But the foreign investment in real estate we've experienced in the last decade is just ridiculous. But hey they're just playing the game.
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #39
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I think assimilation is a Canada vs USA thing. In Canada, we seem to value diversity and other cultures. In the states, they expect you to assimilate and become part of the city, not form your own city.

Respect is a relative thing. I remember 20 years ago people were hating on the hongers for showing up with money. Now mainlanders are getting the same thing. Actually, most of the hate is from the hongers. So the question is, if I immigrated to the lower mainland today, what am I supposed to assimilate to? I guess it depends if you end up living in Richmond (very Asian) or North Vancouver (very white).
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #40
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
My quality of life is awesome but I still have to do some work for the money that shows up

Really you're not elite until you have to do nothing for your money, sex partners and status... you're modern royalty once you achieve money for nothing, chicks for free and the acknowledgement from the lesser that you are the bigger cowboy based on your name and amount of internet followers!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote