REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,683 Posts
CRTC requires "skinny basic" cable TV package from providers. Maximum fee $25/month

For people that have cable TV, this may be good news. CRTC is announcing new rules that require all cable and satellite companies to offer a basic TV channels package. Monthly fee would be capped at $25.

This deal could also mean unbundling channels in cable TV packages.
Pick and pay for the channels that you want.

NetFlix is still a better deal than whatever basic package that the cable providers offer.

Your thoughts?

?Skinny basic? cable package with price cap of $25 to be announced by CRTC | News1130

The country’s broadcast regulator is coming out with new rules today that will require cable and satellite companies to offer customers a trimmed-down, basic channels package, sources have told The Canadian Press.

The cost of the so-called “skinny basic” package is to be capped at $25, said one source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The CRTC will announce details this afternoon on what it calls “measures to maximize choice for Canadian viewers.”

Bloomberg spoke with industry analysts who believe the announcement will also be about unbundling your TV, which for years has seen programmers pair their weaker channels with stronger ones to promote new shows and boost revenue.

Analyst Maher Yaghi with Desjardins believes if the CRTC does allow freedom to “pick and pay” for individual channels or scaled-down bundles, it may lead to a $5 to $10 reduction in your monthly cable or satellite bill. But he says many of the weaker specialty and niche channels would become unprofitable.

A report from ratings company Nielsen in the US found the average home receives 189 TV channels but only watches 17 of them.

In the US, Apple and Dish are working on “skinny bundles” or web services that offer just a few popular channels at a lower price.

The whittled-down packages are putting pressure on programmers who have relied on the 500-channel pay-TV universe to carry their less-popular niche networks.

The Harper government has been pushing the regulator to allow for a “pick-and-pay” system that would allow consumers to choose and pay only for the individual channels they want.

However, the CRTC hinted late last summer that it would be open to a pick-and-pay option built on top of a lighter mandatory service than what is currently being offered widely in the industry.
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Either way, the cable service providers will find a way to fuck everyone up the ass and get their money.

it's a novel idea but i don't see it changing the current landscape much in terms of costs

Last edited by 6o4__boi; 03-19-2015 at 08:53 AM.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
What they're going to do is follow the CRTC's requirement, then jack up the price of every "pick and pay" by an exorbitant amount so they come out on top again.

Happened with the cell phone thing, and will happen again this time.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
What they're going to do is follow the CRTC's requirement, then jack up the price of every "pick and pay" by an exorbitant amount so they come out on top again.

Happened with the cell phone thing, and will happen again this time.
I agree.

I appreciate the CRTC in trying to protect consumers from being completely bent over and railed by the telecom companies, but IMO the only way to fix the oligopoly and lower prices across the board is to introduce more competition. I really wish US-based companies such as Verizon would come to Canada, it's no surprise that the "Big Three" lobbied so hard against it as they knew it would lead to them actually being competitive in the rates instead of fixing the price at a set level of "high".
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
the basic tv package should be a set number of channels (like 10 channels) but the user can choose which 10 out of all channels available

currently paying $230ish to shaw a month -_- don't even have all the channels wtf
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
currently paying $230ish to shaw a month -_- don't even have all the channels wtf
w-t-f mang...i'm paying half that and i still think it's too much

you so ballin

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
yes lets lower the price of basic cable and force provider to provide pick and chose per channel. BUT WAIT! All the popular ones are $20 each?!?!?!

CRTC needs to know it is not the cable provider's fault. A lot of channel are bundle the way they are because the company who owns the channel want it bundle. Ever wonder why Movie Central is always bundle with HBO? Coz Movie central owns HBO and the company who owns it wants them to be bundle.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #8

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
w-t-f mang...i'm paying half that and i still think it's too much

you so ballin
lol i was thinking the same thing
i'm paying about 120 right now and my fiancee is pushing me to cut cable...but the only reason i have it on right now is because of hockey

im probably just going to deactivate cable services until October when hockey season is done

the Shaw Arris or whatever HD box is such a piece of shit...that thing is always lagging
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

The only reason the cable companies have customers right now is because of sports. That is the one thing that keeps me and my family with them. I barely watch anything outside of Sportsnet, TSN, TSN2, etc. because I'd rather watch Netflix otherwise. I'm sure they will be smart and ensure that the sports channels are bundled in a higher package.
Liquid_o2 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
inb4 sure but they're all SD channels.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #11
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
You guys still subscribe to cable?

I just got Netflix and it's more than enough for me

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
I agree.

I appreciate the CRTC in trying to protect consumers from being completely bent over and railed by the telecom companies, but IMO the only way to fix the oligopoly and lower prices across the board is to introduce more competition. I really wish US-based companies such as Verizon would come to Canada, it's no surprise that the "Big Three" lobbied so hard against it as they knew it would lead to them actually being competitive in the rates instead of fixing the price at a set level of "high".

this one guy told me that more competition will mean higher costs.

wasnt kidding.. /insert hour long arguement
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #13
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I can't live without cable. Have to watch my sports live and streaming won't do it for me. holy crap Stylin, I pay 1/2 of what you pay and I already think that's too many channels as well. We actually downgraded and saved $15 off our cable not too long ago.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
If it wasn't for live sports I'd probably cut cable and use strictly Netflix.
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I keep my cable for sports just like everyone else. I am thinking cutting my tv cable and subscribing to services like NBA league pass. But you get your playoffs blacked out.
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #16
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,308 Times in 5,630 Posts
sports is the only reason i keep any sort of cable as well, that and sportscenter

currently though we have like the most basic pack from Shaw which they gave us a free trial for 6 months and it's fucking garbage, it's like the most basic of basic, you get like global, TSN, sportsnet 1, and then HGTV and A&E, channels like CNN and NBC, etc. which you would figure are in the basic package are not included
Old 03-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Want 1 channel have to order 5 to get it.
Want a list of all the channels I get? they cant tell me.
Want TSN HD but only get TSN HD in french without paying more.
Same show on 15 channels in both SD and HD. On 15 more channels 3 hours later.
Get APTN east and west in SD and HD. Same shows on all 4 channels all shot in SD.
Found out there is a bake sale in Orillia Ontario this Saturday because I get the Orillia community channel.
Go past channel 1000 when I feel adventurous.

Anyone want live hockey streams check out Hockey Streams - Live and Archived hockey games! Watch all the hockey games, preseason games, regular season, post season, drafts, player awards good reviews on Redflagdeals and you have no blackouts. There is also Ball Streams - Live and Archived basketball games! Watch all the basketball games, preseason games, regular season, post season, drafts, player awards for basketball
Old 03-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #18

Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,865 Posts
While I get that some of the less popular networks need to be "carried" by bundles, so many channels are just repeating the same shit it doesn't really matter if some can't survive. I cut cable because spending $80/month to watch the same 3 episodes of a few shows on 6 different versions of a channel was impossible to justify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
lol i was thinking the same thing
i'm paying about 120 right now and my fiancee is pushing me to cut cable...but the only reason i have it on right now is because of hockey

im probably just going to deactivate cable services until October when hockey season is done

the Shaw Arris or whatever HD box is such a piece of shit...that thing is always lagging
Why not get a streaming package? If someone sold a streaming package that was as good as CBC's World Cup coverage was, but for hockey, I'd be all over it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #19
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,308 Times in 5,630 Posts
NHL GameCenter.

stream from phone, ipad, apple tv, built in TV apps, etc. this is the first year i've used it because i got it free with my Rogers Shared plan, and it's pretty great, ive never once had an issue and the streaming feed is seemingly the same quality as a sportsnet digital cable broadcast etc
Old 03-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #20
I am grateful grapefruit

NHL Gamecenter - this is the first year that the blackout for Canucks games has been lifted. Before - if your IP was detected to be in BC, you couldn't watch it. Yes you could run a chrome extension, but it didn't always work before.

If you sign up under a Russian IP - it's only $75 for the year, as opposed to $150 for the year.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #21
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,125 Posts
Even the value of cable for sports is dwindling.

I cut the cord last year and hacked an Amazon FireTV to run XBMC. It's been a pretty good investment of my time and money. I can't imagine paying over a hundred a month to a cable company.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #22

Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,865 Posts
^ Raspberry Pi + XBMC = amazing. Once I got that set up I can't go back.

Gamecenter sounds like what I'm talking about for hockey, does anyone know what the device limit is? Both total devices and currently active.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #23
HELP ME PLS!!!

Raspberry Pi + XBMC (Kodi) is so slow and laggy, surprise that you're fine with it.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #24
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
probably a noob question, but what does XBMC give you, ability to stream sports games online? i thought XBMC allows you to play movies/media on a PC or are there other uses?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!