REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #26
No Titles Given

Some people need to understand that stigmatizing people with mental disorders or even illness can be counter-productive. This type of attitude might make things even worse!

Anxiety, appearing to be a main factor here, needs to be considered. I myself sometimes suffer from borderline anxiety. For example, a little over a week ago, I was driving in a downtown underground parking lot and just about to reverse into my monthly parking spot.

All of a sudden I noticed a 5000 pound SUV driving the wrong way in the one way lane at a good speed. Its irrelevant and I haven't checked but I believe it was a $100,000 Land Rover or whatever. I stopped in my tracks. I knew for sure, the driver, a young man, appeared to have an assertive look on his face. My situational awareness recognized he had space to reverse and do a one point turn and correct his mistake. I was willing to back up as well to accommodate.

He was within 2 or 3 feet of me and then the SUV lurched at me missing contact within a foot of my beloved little sports coupe. It scared the hell out of me because I have no cameras. He reversed, and left. When I parked and got out I wanted to have a word with the young man but he was nowhere to be found.

I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt that maybe the guy accidentally didn't put it in reverse but it didn't make sense because the whole time we had eye contact. I had anxiety for a few minutes thereafter, ruminated on it for a few minutes later that night but figured it may have just been an isolated incident.

The violence in this thread is not necessary. I'd say it is acceptable only if it is agreed upon by all parties and/or is fully sanctioned.
Advertisement
synchrocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #28
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchrocone View Post
Some people need to understand that stigmatizing people with mental disorders or even illness can be counter-productive. This type of attitude might make things even worse!

Anxiety, appearing to be a main factor here, needs to be considered. I myself sometimes suffer from borderline anxiety. For example, a little over a week ago, I was driving in a downtown underground parking lot and just about to reverse into my monthly parking spot.

All of a sudden I noticed a 5000 pound SUV driving the wrong way in the one way lane at a good speed. Its irrelevant and I haven't checked but I believe it was a $100,000 Land Rover or whatever. I stopped in my tracks. I knew for sure, the driver, a young man, appeared to have an assertive look on his face. My situational awareness recognized he had space to reverse and do a one point turn and correct his mistake. I was willing to back up as well to accommodate.

He was within 2 or 3 feet of me and then the SUV lurched at me missing contact within a foot of my beloved little sports coupe. It scared the hell out of me because I have no cameras. He reversed, and left. When I parked and got out I wanted to have a word with the young man but he was nowhere to be found.

I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt that maybe the guy accidentally didn't put it in reverse but it didn't make sense because the whole time we had eye contact. I had anxiety for a few minutes thereafter, ruminated on it for a few minutes later that night but figured it may have just been an isolated incident.

The violence in this thread is not necessary. I'd say it is acceptable only if it is agreed upon by all parties and/or is fully sanctioned.
People have anxiety for legitimate but stupidest reasons. Yes its a medical problem but it does not mean the public should accommodate to every reason and one's needs.

Have you gone to a doctor for your anxiety? Since you say its borderline, I assume you haven't but if you're going to complain about people catering to other people's anxietys, at least help yourself first instead of putting it on others. Not trying to be aggro. I speak from experience and just knowing that I have a xanax pill in my wallet helps a lot in reducing anxiety.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #29
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Omg
Old 03-26-2015, 03:30 PM   #30
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchrocone View Post

It doesn't sound like you have anxiety, it just sounds like the other driver was being a fucking douche... get a dashcam, bro. It will really help with your "anxiety".
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #31
No Titles Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
People have anxiety for legitimate but stupidest reasons. Yes its a medical problem but it does not mean the public should accommodate to every reason and one's needs.

Have you gone to a doctor for your anxiety? Since you say its borderline, I assume you haven't but if you're going to complain about people catering to other people's anxietys, at least help yourself first instead of putting it on others. Not trying to be aggro. I speak from experience and just knowing that I have a xanax pill in my wallet helps a lot in reducing anxiety.
I just made it up; the term "borderline anxiety". It is normal to feel anxiety, otherwise it means you don't care about what is at hand. Last time I checked, my doctor mostly gets paid by the government. Oh yes, and never said I suffer from anxiety.
synchrocone is offline   Reply With Quote