REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #126
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm of mixed opinion about how FS worked. One the one hand, I've had a couple of bad experiences where the salespeople were being extremely pushy with the extended warranties (one outstanding moment was when I was a kid going with my dad and we had no less than four people push the warranty on a cheap phone we needed to replace... Dad finally told 'em to fuck off and that if it did die within the first year, it'd be returned via the front window late at night ). However, the last few times I've been in one the sales people were typically helpful and not pushy at all. Don't know if it just happened to be the stores I was in or if there was a culture change, but it was rather pleasant. I believe the FS in my town will be converting to a Best Buy as there wasn't one already, apart from a BB Mobile location in a mall.

I'm not sure how BB/FS worked by if every associate had access to margin numbers, but if so then that would help explain them pushing certain items over others. I personally work for a B&M retail company, though not as someone who works on the sales floor. While I have access to information like gross margin numbers and whatnot, the sales people here don't. I find that's a better method as it allows the associates to sell what's best for the customer without worrying if there's money being made. Yes, they still push tech sales and the warranty as those tend to be pure profit but it's definitely not as bad as other companies have been.
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #127
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Vancouver-based Future Shop dominated the market

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #128
My homepage has been set to RS

having worked at FS long while back, and having bought electronics at the store and online. i am sad to see FS go, cause all the jobs that were lost.
many people dont think the front end store jobs are supported with tons of jobs in the warehouse/ admin/ etc. its too bad.

recently walked into FS on Broadway, looked at tv. spoke to sales associate. never felt pushed into buying or buying warranty. its thr job to ask, once/twice, i have had more pushy telemarketing calls and people asking me to sign up for CC at auto show.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #129
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
I always preferred FS over BB, to me it felt more sophisticated and seemingly carried more high end models of brands as opposed to BB which always felt like it was dumbed down to appeal to the ignorant consumer.

The last time I was in FS it was to buy my TV right before xmas, I had done about 10 hours of research on it and knew almost everything there was to know in terms of technical specs, ended up talking to the guy responsible for Sony models and he knew absolutely nothing compared to what I knew, I basically put him on spot over 5-6 different aspects of the TV then began to walk away saying Id think about it. He pulled me back and gave me boxing day pricing if Id buy it right then.

Seems like FS had more leeway when it came to making deals like that and price matching, never had anything but problems trying to haggle or price match at BB
Old 04-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #130
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
people losing jobs is bad news, but to me it's about the death of a long time local business that's sadder...in the end it was inevitable. Far too many Canadian businesses run complacent.

Wow I didn't realize they had price protection since day 1...I thought the whole pricematch rule only kicked in when Best Buy bought them.

twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #131
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
Is A&B Sound still around? That was another commission based electronics store, a lot like the early future shop posted in that pic... I remember going there the minute I got my first credit card.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #132
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,535 Times in 1,154 Posts
a&b is looooong gone
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #133
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Is A&B Sound still around? That was another commission based electronics store, a lot like the early future shop posted in that pic... I remember going there the minute I got my first credit card.
A&B Sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last one closed in 2008.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:04 AM   #134
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
RIP I guess
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #135
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Is not just Future shop. Sony store is going to close all of their stores too (If not already done), Mexx is done, Home outfitters is going to close soon just to name a few.

The gov keep saying economy doing decent but I have many doubts.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #136
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Sony I can understand. Sony has not been innovative and their products just aren't premium anymore, on top of 'premium' pricing..

I have not bought a Sony product in years and everyone I know either owns an LG or Samsung TV.
way2quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #137
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Is not just Future shop. Sony store is going to close all of their stores too (If not already done), Mexx is done, Home outfitters is going to close soon just to name a few.

The gov keep saying economy doing decent but I have many doubts.
The state of brick-and-mortar stores isn't an economic indicator so much as it is of changing shopping habits.

Same reason record and video stores are almost completely gone now - it's all going online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #138
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
Actually more because physical media is dying.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:52 AM   #139
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
as in above and beyond? yes

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #140
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
Actually more because physical media is dying.
I am surprise H&M is still alive.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-03-2015, 07:25 AM   #141
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Why? Their business model is amazing. And most people still buy clothes in person.

The reason I seldom buy any electronics in person is because I don't need a salesman's product knowledge so really they're just bothering me. People like me have researched the hell out of anything we buy so as my generation is hitting their 30s, fewer people go to actual stores rather than just having it shipped to your door. We have zero store loyalty, we do no trust traditional advertising...we just want the best deal. The companies that survive have tapped in and learned how to market to people like me. All you have to do is look at the growth of NCIX locally while FS dies. No one cares about customer service at NCIX. I seldom stay longer than 5 minutes. They just happen to win a race to the bottom.

Product knowledge and retail salesmen will be more and more irrelevant. It's a dinosaur of a job...a relic like mailmen that will eventually simply cease to be a job.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Why? Their business model is amazing. And most people still buy clothes in person.

The reason I seldom buy any electronics in person is because I don't need a salesman's product knowledge so really they're just bothering me. People like me have researched the hell out of anything we buy so as my generation is hitting their 30s, fewer people go to actual stores rather than just having it shipped to your door. We have zero store loyalty, we do no trust traditional advertising...we just want the best deal. The companies that survive have tapped in and learned how to market to people like me. All you have to do is look at the growth of NCIX locally while FS dies. No one cares about customer service at NCIX. I seldom stay longer than 5 minutes. They just happen to win a race to the bottom.

Product knowledge and retail salesmen will be more and more irrelevant. It's a dinosaur of a job...a relic like mailmen that will eventually simply cease to be a job.
Sorry I meant HMV didn't have my coffee at work yet...
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #143

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Sad but true.... Guess I better start learning something new haha
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #144
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Agreed but not yet. We are a different generation. We are of one that is well involved with the technological changes of our society. These "product experts" aren't there for people like you and I who are going in to buy a product we've already spent countless hours doing research on. They're there for the older generation who still refers to a receiver as a stereo and is looking for a replacement remote control for their RCA tube tv.

Just because we are well versed with technology (as would be most of this ONLINE forum), doesn't mean we reflect the needs of the rest of the Canadian population.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #145
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
It does because my generation is now in their 30s, meaning we are now the primary demographic for technology. At least expensive technology. Older people mostly don't care about the high end. My parent are perfectly happy with standard def while I refuse to watch things that aren't at least 720p. Its already starting. The death of nearly every large big box tech store is evidence while stores that simply offer the best price do well.

Do you think anyone cares about the customer service at B&H? Or Amazon? No, they just have the lowest price. Whether that is a sustainable business model remains to be seen but the fact remains that customer service is a relic of a bygone era.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #146

Quote:
It does because my generation is now in their 30s, meaning we are now the primary demographic for technology. At least expensive technology. Older people mostly don't care about the high end. My parent are perfectly happy with standard def while I refuse to watch things that aren't at least 720p. Its already starting. The death of nearly every large big box tech store is evidence while stores that simply offer the best price do well.

Do you think anyone cares about the customer service at B&H? Or Amazon? No, they just have the lowest price. Whether that is a sustainable business model remains to be seen but the fact remains that customer service is a relic of a bygone era.
Amazon customer service is absolutely amazing. I think they go above and beyond to make sure my needs as a customer are met and when they are not, they have made efforts to ensure that the problem gets rectified as soon as possible. When something goes wrong, and it will, people are going to reflect on Amazon's customer service.

Let's not neglect the beauty of Amazon reviews and the role they play in our purchasing online. Like an HONEST electronics salesman, Amazon reviews help us make informed decisions about the products we are looking into.

Your conclusions on whether "older people" care about high electronics is just too general and broad to be accurate. In your personal experience that may be true, I am not denying that, but the reality is, there are plenty of people from the older generation that value high end electronics. People in their 50's are ALWAYS cruising through electronic stores and picking up expensive tvs, stereos, computers etc. To actually there is a general desire not to have up to date technology from the older generation, it's just flawed reasoning.

I'm not debating whether or not the primary demographics of consumer electronics need in-person salesman to make purchasing decisions; I'm simply reminding us all that there is still a market out there of potential purchases who not only value the advice and help of a knowledgable sales associate, but also NEED that knowledge to make an informed decision. You won't see your parents going to NCIX to buy a set of speakers for their computer...they'll go to London Drugs, Staples, Costco, Future Shop etc. Again, I'm not debating whether or not our parents are the prime market. I am simply saying that they are apart of a market out there that benefits from trained product experts in the consumer electronics sales front.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Agreed but not yet. We are a different generation. We are of one that is well involved with the technological changes of our society. These "product experts" aren't there for people like you and I who are going in to buy a product we've already spent countless hours doing research on. They're there for the older generation who still refers to a receiver as a stereo and is looking for a replacement remote control for their RCA tube tv.

Just because we are well versed with technology (as would be most of this ONLINE forum), doesn't mean we reflect the needs of the rest of the Canadian population.
Not really, working in the tech support industry you have no idea how clueless or dumb some of the ppl from our gen can be.

One of the most common questions I get is " What does a power cord looks like?" or " What does a power adapter look like?" or " I though my router/PVR/TV just turn on I don't know it needs power?!"
Old 04-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #148

Quote:
Not really, working in the tech support industry you have no idea how clueless or dumb some of the ppl from our gen can be.

One of the most common questions I get is " What does a power cord looks like?" or " What does a power adapter look like?" or " I though my router/PVR/TV just turn on I don't know it needs power?!"
You've missed my point...
Old 04-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #149

Quote:

Well guess what. You're not going to get inquiries from people who already know what that shit looks like. Of COURSE you're going to get support calls for random trivial things because that's what it is. Tech **SUPPORT**.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #150
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
I have a giftcardA from FutureShop, giftcardB from Best Buy.

Anyone know if I can bring both in, and transfer the amount to a brand new giftcard C?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote