REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   VPD in the news: aggressive window smash on drug suspicion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702546-vpd-news-aggressive-window-smash-drug-suspicion.html)

Acura604 03-30-2015 09:10 AM

VPD in the news: aggressive window smash on drug suspicion

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/03...ine-firestorm/

thoughts? although we dont have full details but looks like the dude getting arrested has some charges filed against him re: possession and even intent on trafficking.

YouTube video taken from the inside of a vehicle on a rain-soaked November night in Vancouver is piling up the views as the online community piles onto both parties involved.

On one side of a semi-cracked window are two members of the Vancouver Police Department, who have, according to the driver taking the video, pulled him over for what is described as a “motor vehicle infraction.”

“Hit the brakes, you moron,” shouts a VPD sergeant through the slightly opened driver side window, after some initial confusion.

“Turn the car off, now,” instructs the sergeant, who the poster of the video, a man who calls himself Bodhi Sattva on YouTube, apparently identifies in the title.

“Sir, why have you pulled me over?” the driver replies, in as polite of a tone he can muster. “What have I done?”

“I smell marijuana coming out of the vehicle,” says the sergeant.

Another officer sticks his nose to the window crack and confirms the suspicion.

“Yup, you are under arrest,” he says.

What follows next is some back and forth between the driver and the sergeant, who insists the car door be opened.

“I’m gonna break the window,” the sergeant threatens, before doing just that.

The Vancouver police confirmed on Sunday night that the driver was charged with possession of a controlled substance, possession for the purposes of trafficking and obstructing a police officer.

“While the video clearly doesn’t show the entire encounter between the driver and police, the officer clearly stated the driver was under arrest and asks him several times to get out of the car,” said VPD Const. Brian Montague.

“Despite the multiple warnings, the driver fails to do as instructed. I can only guess this is because he is trying desperately to distract from what he has inside his vehicle of buy time to figure his way out of the situation.” Montague said.

Hundreds of online observers have commented on the video, with some agreeing the arrest was warranted and others screaming police abuse.

The CBC had a legal expert weigh in, who says that within the context of the provided video, the police did not tell the driver exactly why he was pulled over, therefore conducting an unlawful arrest.

While Const. Montague could not disclose the initial reason for the driver to be pulled over, he sees it differently.

“It is quite simple. If someone does not want the police to use force then they need to comply. We never have to use force with a co-operative person.”

The driver has not made any official complaint about the incident, according to police, who are not able, at this time, to provide his identity, why he was pulled over in the first place and what exactly was found in the vehicle.

quasi 03-30-2015 09:20 AM

Thoughts? That was well deserved, roll down the window answer some questions and if there was nothing out of the ordinary he's on his way.

Ulic Qel-Droma 03-30-2015 09:21 AM

Ow, my shoulder, sir!

GabAlmighty 03-30-2015 09:22 AM

Lol, if you got nothing to hide then why bother creating an issue for yourself.

quasi 03-30-2015 09:24 AM

EmperorIS 03-30-2015 09:24 AM

I wish a cop abuses my rights for once.... would be a nice downpayment for a small condo

6o4__boi 03-30-2015 09:29 AM

:facepalm:

because idiots.

Ulic Qel-Droma 03-30-2015 09:30 AM

if he wasn't doing anything wrong, he should comply and just jump through the hoops, and then be on his merry way.

if he was doing something wrong, he was doing it wrong, cuz he got caught.

although the cop should have gone into robotic regurgitating info mode and just be reciting the reason for pulling over and why he has to step out and then proceeding to force him out of the car... i guess the cop shoulda jumped through his procedural hoops as well.

Tone Loc 03-30-2015 09:47 AM

I don't understand the "logic" behind these armchair lawyers who want to make it hard for cops to do their job - and ultimately make their own lives harder in the process. All I know is, there's a guy here with a badge and a gun who can legally impound my car and make my life very difficult (like handing me a VI for my Corolla)... so why aggravate him/her? Especially if I'm not doing anything wrong.

Personally I have never had a problem with police, just be polite, do what you are instructed to do, 99.9% of the time you will be treated the same way.

People need to realize this isn't the USA...

That being said, the cop isn't perfect either. He probably shouldn't have called the guy a "moron", and if he just answered the guy in the first place as to why he was under arrest and what grounds he had to arrest him, maybe this whole thing could have been avoided.

7seven 03-30-2015 10:06 AM

Thoughts? This idiot created and escalated the issue himself, good on the officers.

GLOW 03-30-2015 10:07 AM

dealing drugs and still acting so cocky when pulled over :lawl:

duy- 03-30-2015 10:10 AM

cop: i smell marijuana
retard: no you dont

yup, we got ourselves a bonified moron. cop really should have pulled the glass towards him to shatter it but pretty satisfying how that played out. IM JUST WAITING FOR ME MAYTE

tool001 03-30-2015 10:16 AM

what did the cops pull him over for initially?

white rocket 03-30-2015 10:16 AM

I fucking hate douche bags that act like that. Saying "sir" a bunch of times doesn't make you creditable. Same with "I know my rights". It makes you look guilty as fuck and is just plain annoying.

jasonturbo 03-30-2015 10:16 AM

The best part is how they will use the video as evdience to support the obstruction of justice charge lol

Manic! 03-30-2015 10:19 AM

The guy is an idiot.

Who the hell a lawyer on speed dial. Also what did he think would happen if he called his lawyer at night?

tool001 03-30-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8617134)
The guy is an idiot.

Who the hell a lawyer on speed dial. Also what did he think would happen if he called his lawyer at night?

jp, and WW have Saul on speed dial, whats ur point :whistle:

Anjew 03-30-2015 10:30 AM

i hate these video camera tough guys....

Genzlinger 03-30-2015 10:48 AM

rookie...he obviously don't get pulled over much. Here's a tip...

Soundy 03-30-2015 10:50 AM

"The driver has not made any official complaint about the incident..."

Of course not, that would require actually having to prove his case. Putting the video on YouTube and crying about being the poor innocent victim is a sure-fire way to get support without having to actually prove anything.

320icar 03-30-2015 10:51 AM

I agree that he should have just complied with the officers. BUT he was very clear and calm, and somewhat respectful. The officers should have told him why they pulled him over or why they are arresting him.

A simple "we have suspicion that you are operating s motor vehicle under the influence of a narcotic." And then if the kid does not comply, THEN step it up as he is obstructing justice.

Both could have done a bit better

smoothie. 03-30-2015 10:52 AM

Good for VPD

although he most likely will get off on a technicality.

Soundy 03-30-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8617169)
I agree that he should have just complied with the officers. BUT he was very clear and calm, and somewhat respectful. The officers should have told him why they pulled him over or why they are arresting him.

We don't know that they didn't... the video conveniently starts partway into the encounter.

In fact... note how he asks repeatedly why the cops pulled him over, then at 0:43 he makes it clear he knows why: "you pulled me over for a motor vehicle violation!"

Ten bucks says the cops DID state the reason, he DID get it on video, and he edited it out... then we he asks repeatedly for the reason, it makes him seem reasonable, and the cops not so much.

Inb4 cop dashcam video is released backing up this theory... :accepted:

Bouncing Bettys 03-30-2015 12:14 PM

Are we required to fully roll down our window when pulled over? I can recall at least one time I rolled it down only a couple inches to pass my license and reg through on a cold ass night and the officer didn't seem to have an issue.

underscore 03-30-2015 12:24 PM

^ I don't believe you are, but you are required to exit the vehicle when you're being arrested for possession for the purpose of trafficking.

I fucking hate people like this, if you're going out of your way to make someones job harder because you have a carrot up your ass you're an idiot, plain and simple. And if they're gonna insist on making the polices job harder, they better be 110% sure they are doing everything flawlessly (like CiC wasn't a few weeks back) or they're gonna have a real bad time since they don't have to do you any favours either.