REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Scammed no more? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702668-scammed-no-more.html)

CRS 04-05-2015 09:59 PM

Scammed no more?

Quote:

Vancouver police are endorsing the idea of conducting high-risk transactions for Craigslist deals in the lobby of their headquarters.

The endorsement comes after hundreds of young fans of the pop group Maroon 5 ended up losing hundreds of dollars on fake tickets purchased through Craigslist for the group's Vancouver concert on Sunday.

Const. Brian Montague said while they don't really have space for people selling mattresses or old couches, anyone nervous about buying or selling a high-risk item like a piece of jewellery or concert tickets is welcome to use their lobby to complete the deal.

Vancouver police say the public is welcome to use their lobby for extra security while closing high-risk online deals like the sale of concert tickets or jewellery.

"We don't get directly involved," said Montague, "It's mostly about deterrence. If someone is reluctant, that should give you a red flag."

The practice was recently endorsed by Craigslist, which has always recommended users complete transactions in a public area, in the popular website's personal safety recommendations. Several U.S. police departments have also supported the idea.

Montague points to the presence of police and the video surveillance as factors that would deter anyone with nefarious intentions.

While Vancouver police are unaware of anyone actually using the lobby for Craigslist transactions, Montague says it is likely deals are already taking place in the busy front entrance.

"I'm sure it is already happening and we are unaware of it," he said.
High-risk Craigslist deals can now be done at Vancouver police HQ - British Columbia - CBC News

I can't say that I've ever thought about this but this is a good move on the part of VPD to deter people from scamming. Seeing at 2015 has seen its fair share of scammers, this might be helpful to some of you that use craigslist or whatever it is to buy high risk items.

StylinRed 04-06-2015 04:26 AM

i've seen, and heard of, people dealing drugs in front of the police station....i don't think this will deter some of the scammers out there. It may even give those few bold scammers confidence in not being scrutinized by the soon to be scammed.

But i imagine/hope it will deter a good amount of losers, just not all

GLOW 04-06-2015 04:51 AM

If they allow it in their lobby where there are cameras and actually investigate scammers caught on film I can see it helping. Other than that it will only prevent the cases where people get mugged like the 1 kid that met some guys in an alley behind a subway :derp:

jeedee 04-06-2015 06:06 AM

It's somewhat of a good idea but not everyone has the time or lives closeby to VPD HQ.....

Verdasco 04-06-2015 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8620006)
It's somewhat of a good idea but not everyone has the time or lives closeby to VPD HQ.....

Your choice. Do a big transaction close or waste some time at a local police station :accepted:

jeedee 04-06-2015 07:09 AM

:fuckthatshit:

would rather do a "big transaction" in a public place like metrotown

StylinRed 04-06-2015 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8620019)
:fuckthatshit:

would rather do a "big transaction" in a public place like metrotown

people doing CL transactions at Metro have been robbed, even at the food court, as there's that exit to the parkade right there

Reeyal 04-06-2015 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8619914)
"We don't get directly involved," said Montague, "It's mostly about deterrence. If someone is reluctant, that should give you a red flag.".

Vancouver police is offering the service as a deterrence. There is no stopping scammers completely.

jeedee 04-06-2015 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8620020)
people doing CL transactions at Metro have been robbed, even at the food court, as there's that exit to the parkade right there

robbed as in the person running away with the item?

I've never done a transaction at the food court as its on the other side of the mall and you can easily get distracted from the transaction with how busy it is and the noise

i disagree with the post about if someone isn't willing to meet at VPD HQ, it's a red flag. Like I said, not everyone has the time or lives close by to it. I'd be pretty pissed if i did meet there only to have the buyer/seller flake out last minute (when you've made the effort to get there etc)

To each of their own though :)

Spoon 04-06-2015 09:00 AM

What if I bought legit concert tickets off Craigslist and days later report them as counterfeits (assuming I'm the counterfeiter)?

Seems like a non-solution if anything.

StylinRed 04-06-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8620025)
robbed as in the person running away with the item?

as in threatened with a knife/group of people
and i believe a lady in a wheelchair was also robbed, just can't recall the details

jeedee 04-06-2015 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8620052)
as in threatened with a knife/group of people

pulled a knife out...in a public place like metrotowns food court?

what a world we live in....

parm104 04-06-2015 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8620066)
pulled a knife out...in a public place like metrotowns food court?

what a world we live in....

It's the real world....the sooner people realize this, the sooner they will be able to start protecting themselves from the harshness that is in our society.

Habboy 04-06-2015 05:51 PM

I always find a Starbucks or a Tim Hortons as good places to meet and do a deal. Usually busy and awkward to escape if things go down bad

parm104 04-06-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habboy (Post 8620219)
I always find a Starbucks or a Tim Hortons as good places to meet and do a deal. Usually busy and awkward to escape if things go down bad

Not to mention, cops are always sitting at Tim Hortons lol.

stewie 04-07-2015 05:15 AM

i just asked this question last week i think it was. About doing transactions in places such as outside a police station hah. With them not getting involved in the transaction, I'm wondering that if it were a high risk item such as jewelery (or concert tickets) if they would be able to help in any way.

Vansterdam 04-07-2015 06:31 AM

I think you should sticky this thread on all of the buy&sell section :)

also, I recall years back a member on here was selling a gold chain and met the dude at metro. dude ending up running away and never got caught. even though security caught his friend or some shit they didnt have enough evidence or proof to do shit.

twitchyzero 12-14-2015 10:28 PM

bumping an older thread

if meeting at a bank, the cash should be deposit with a teller during business hours, otherwise depositing at ATM there's still the risk that potential counterfeit won't be realized until next business day or so and and the onus would be on you who deposited it, correct?

Mr.HappySilp 12-15-2015 06:08 AM

I always deal in public areas such as metrotown,pacific center. I mostly sell phones so I always made sure not to tell the buyer the pin till I counted the money and make sure it is real. Also have find my iphone on and on non-iphones I can device manager to track the phone. Also wrote down the IMEI and any info about the phone in case I was rob. I can report it and have the phone black list.

Once everything goes through I tell the buyer the PIN, disable found my found etc etc..... at least with this approach even if they manage to steal the phone, I can track where it went and have it blacklisted (although I wish the blacklist can take affect within 48hours so they can't resell the phone).

Other than that I only deal with RS and actually take a look at their buyer/seller review, how long they been active and how many post they posted. If the party seems fishy I won't deal with them.

GLOW 12-15-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8707484)
bumping an older thread

if meeting at a bank, the cash should be deposit with a teller during business hours, otherwise depositing at ATM there's still the risk that potential counterfeit won't be realized until next business day or so and and the onus would be on you who deposited it, correct?

i don't think the teller checks a gangster roll of bills if everyone is legit. don't they just feed it in to the counter, drop it in a ziplock bag and off it goes? unless it's a few bills and they can easily visually see as bogus, i wouldn't trust a teller picking out fake bills on the spot. maybe someone that's a teller can confirm.

Tapioca 12-15-2015 12:43 PM

I was a teller many moons ago. If a teller can't spot a fake bill, they suck at their job. Unless someone's dropping several grand in cash, it doesn't take a lot of time to count bills by hand and spot the fakes. Besides, if anything, everyone should learn to spot fake bills - it's not hard.

If you're buying/selling high cost items, it's best to deal with bank drafts, money orders. But I guess people also sell on Craigslist because they don't want a paper trail.