REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Good Southern BBQ in Van? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702677-good-southern-bbq-van.html)

willystyle 04-06-2015 12:56 PM

Good Southern BBQ in Van?

Honestly, I don't think this exist in Vancouver, but I am hoping that someone would know something that I don't. I need to come up with a BBQ joint soon as I need to take my friend out for ber bday tonight and she insisted on BBQ.

IMO, the last good BBQ joint in Van was Boonie's BBQ, so you can tell where my standards at.

EndLeSS8 04-06-2015 01:20 PM

I have been to Memphis Blues and Burgers Etc. Both are pretty good, but tame compared to what you can get in the USA.

Best option is probably to do it yourself, it's not too hard. I have been making pork ribs myself, No Frills has them for $2.77/lb every once in a while.

zilley 04-06-2015 03:23 PM

hog shack.

willystyle 04-06-2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 (Post 8620130)
I have been to Memphis Blues and Burgers Etc. Both are pretty good, but tame compared to what you can get in the USA.

Best option is probably to do it yourself, it's not too hard. I have been making pork ribs myself, No Frills has them for $2.77/lb every once in a while.

Burgers Etc. serves absolutely the worst BBQ I've ever had in my life. Memphis Blues is slightly better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zilley (Post 8620169)
hog shack.

Rib Ends are good. Everything else is OK.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

bcrdukes 04-06-2015 04:24 PM

Try Peckinpah in Gastown?

If it sucks, it's not my fault haha

kcl38 04-06-2015 04:46 PM

I prefer Hog Shack over Peckinpah because I find the meat at Hog Shack to be better. Peckinpah has some really good sides though, better than Hog Shack. But we all know what BBQ should focus on :drool

carisear 04-06-2015 04:50 PM

i agree with willystyle -- I haven't had good bbq here ANYWHERE here. I think Memphis blues is disgusting. hog shack was only passable, but not good.

I think that would be a good niche that could be filled if a good real southern style bbq house opened up.

Eternal_SiR 04-07-2015 06:30 AM

i agree.. nothing beats making your own. All my friends keep asking me to fire up the bbq and smoker all the time. They claim nothing compares, especially my potato salad and smoked mac and cheese.

Vansterdam 04-07-2015 07:29 AM

Peckinpah
flying pig
hogshacks

TOS'd 04-07-2015 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8620186)
Try Peckinpah in Gastown?

If it sucks, it's not my fault haha

Nothing special.

evil_jigglypuff 04-07-2015 02:33 PM

Wilbur & Sebastians in Port Coquitlam

Re-Up in New Westminster inside the Quay Market

Never been to Wilbur & Sebastian's but Re-Up is pretty good. Kinda pricey though.

Spoon 04-07-2015 03:32 PM

Had no idea that Re-Up had a store front. I've only ever tried their food carts when they were in Granville and Downtown. And yes, they're on the pricey side, though it may be BBQ prices in general. I believe Re-Up charges around $8-9 for a pulled pork sandwich and Memphis Blues was around $9-10.

With those prices, I'm not surprised there's not that many around.

Habboy 04-07-2015 04:09 PM

Ok, Im piping in here cause I have been to Memphis, and had BBQ from the main places on Beale Street to the bad ass joints in the outskirts and in west Memphis, Arkansas.
Aint nothing I have tasted in the Lower Mainland or in Canada for that matter that can compare to the Interstate BBQ's or the PIG on Beale for pure down home southern BBQ.
That being said, Memphis Blues aint bad (it depends on the location....the one in Cloverdale is the best of all)....I know there are haters of them,,,,but, ya know , Haters gonna hate.
Lastly.........do your own!! Buy some smoke chips (can get @ Cajun Tire or other places) and experiment using smoke pouches and your BBQ.
I bought an electric smoker and it rocks....Loving the BBQ!!

phatkix 04-07-2015 08:02 PM

I'm down with Hog Shack.

Eternal_SiR 04-08-2015 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habboy (Post 8620678)
Ok, Im piping in here cause I have been to Memphis, and had BBQ from the main places on Beale Street to the bad ass joints in the outskirts and in west Memphis, Arkansas.
Aint nothing I have tasted in the Lower Mainland or in Canada for that matter that can compare to the Interstate BBQ's or the PIG on Beale for pure down home southern BBQ.
That being said, Memphis Blues aint bad (it depends on the location....the one in Cloverdale is the best of all)....I know there are haters of them,,,,but, ya know , Haters gonna hate.
Lastly.........do your own!! Buy some smoke chips (can get @ Cajun Tire or other places) and experiment using smoke pouches and your BBQ.
I bought an electric smoker and it rocks....Loving the BBQ!!

i agreee, thats what i did. bought an electric smoke for $150 and never been to a BBQ joint since. Nothing beats openining up the smoker after a 16 hour brisket/pork butt session. With your own smoker, sky is the limit as to what you could so. I've done from doing meat load, steaks, crab, shrimp, garlic, banana's with brown sugar and the usual ribs, chicken, brisket, pork, mac and cheese

willystyle 04-08-2015 05:38 PM

Considering of getting a Smoker. Where and What's a good one to get? Budget would be as affordable as possible.

Eternal_SiR 04-09-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8621177)
Considering of getting a Smoker. Where and What's a good one to get? Budget would be as affordable as possible.

i got mine at homedepot in the states. but this is the one i got.

Masterbuilt | 30 Inch Electric Smoker Analogue | Home Depot Canada

jrome169 04-21-2015 09:51 AM

Hogshack is the only thing worth it here in Van . Try and get their burnt ends if available