REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   South Carolina Police Officer Faces Murder Charge (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702714-south-carolina-police-officer-faces-murder-charge.html)

adambomb 04-07-2015 06:55 PM

South Carolina Police Officer Faces Murder Charge

Quote:

A white South Carolina police officer has been charged with murder over the shooting death of a black man who appeared to be fleeing from him, local authorities said on Tuesday, with the FBI and the U.S. Justice Department announcing a separate probe into the case.

The incident began after Scott was pulled over for a broken taillight, local media reported.

A video of the encounter published by the New York Times shows a brief scuffle between Slager and Scott before the latter begins running away. The video, which appears to be recorded by a bystander, then shows the officer firing several shots at Scott, who falls to the ground. Scott does not appear to be armed while fleeing from Slager.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/walter-...-man-1.3024036

Check the video. Shoots the guy when he's running away. :gun: :eek5r:
Black 'murica gon be mad. White 'murica should be too.

pinn3r 04-07-2015 07:14 PM

absolutely NO justification to this

fleeing suspect was slow as fuck too

pastarocket 04-07-2015 07:50 PM

If this isn't cold blooded murder, I don't what it is.

What makes this shooting worse is that you see the cop in the video drop an object near Scott's body after the shooting. Is the dirty cop dropping his Taser near the body in order to make the crime scene look like the black guy had the Taser with him?

That's obstruction of justice right there if the cop is planting that Taser near the body.

Justice must prevail! :mad:

Ford_Fanatic 04-07-2015 08:33 PM

Looks like the victim was being tased and knocked the taser out of the cop's hand and started running

FerrariEnzo 04-07-2015 08:57 PM

the cop fires 8 rounds into the guy and then cuffs him.... stupid?

StylinRed 04-07-2015 09:20 PM

as ford fanatic said, looks like he was tased and knocked the taser out of the officers hands and hopped away, probably still reacting to the shock
Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 8620824)

they cuff clearly dead suspects too, just in case they were faking their half missing head

nah 04-07-2015 09:48 PM

I'm surprised the cop didn't notice the guy filming them there and try to take that footage.

underscore 04-07-2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBC.ca
A white South Carolina police officer was arrested and charged with murder on Tuesday after a video showed him shooting eight times at the back of a 50-year-old black man who was running away after a traffic stop and died at the scene.

Fuck sakes CBC, gotta bring race into this shit again.

Manic! 04-07-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8620854)

Race still is a big issue down south.

Roach 04-07-2015 10:24 PM

Wow, that is fucking terrible.

The circumstances almost looked like a skit SNL would film to mock white cops. Except it's real.

Now imagine if there was no cell phone video.

Kev

Timpo 04-07-2015 10:27 PM

Good thing that we have that on camera, otherwise cop can easily lie like they always do and tell false story how overly aggressive the suspect was and all that.

Cops are getting fat and lazy like many people in North America, I guess they never got trained to chase suspect and put them on the ground?

They should only be using weapons only if their lives are in danger, in this case, shooting that man is not justified.

I can't believe BC made another 20 year contract after RCMP's fatal YVR taser incident too. RCMP had 4 cops and they could easily muscle him down on the ground too.

StylinRed 04-07-2015 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8620868)
Good thing that we have that on camera, otherwise cop can easily lie like they always do and tell false story how overly aggressive the suspect was and all that.

Cops are getting fat and lazy like many people in North America, I guess they never got trained to chase suspect and put them on the ground?

They should only be using weapons only if their lives are in danger, in this case, shooting that man is not justified.

I can't believe BC made another 20 year contract after RCMP's fatal YVR taser incident too. RCMP had 4 cops and they could easily muscle him down on the ground too.

it doesn't matter if there's video evidence
do you guys remember the officer that shot a suspect in the back of the head while the suspect was already handcuffed and laying, face down, on the ground?

the officer only got 2 years minus time served (paroled less than 6 months later) because the jury believed that he had meant to pull his taser and not his pistol... (convicted of involuntary manslaughter)

BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there was cellphone recording of the whole incident

Tone Loc 04-07-2015 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8620854)

Like Manic said above... the whole 'race' thing is a much bigger issue in the States than it is here. For decades now, the mainstream media and politics has made it seem like racial tensions - especially between Blacks and Whites - there are a thing of the past. Thanks to smartphones, social media, etc... unfortunately it is showing that these "vanished" racial tensions are still alive today. Especially considering the past year and all the news stories about Blacks being un-necessarily (or necessarily in certain cases) injured or even killed by police, it makes sense to highlight race as a factor in the incident... because it likely is.

Considering the suspect looked pretty overweight and running at a very slow pace, shooting him was absolutely not necessary. Hell, any cop who actually passed their physical should have no problem chasing and taking someone down, doubly so if the suspect is overweight and super slow. I mean, I am no cop but I am pretty sure I could chase a guy like that and knock him down to cuff him, let alone someone who is actually fit like a police officer. Good to see the justice system in the USA working instead of sweeping things under the rug and making everything seem okay.

4444 04-07-2015 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8620885)
it doesn't matter if there's video evidence
do you guys remember the officer that shot a suspect in the back of the head while the suspect was already handcuffed and laying, face down, on the ground?

the officer only got 2 years minus time served (paroled less than 6 months later) because the jury believed that he had meant to pull his taser and not his pistol... (convicted of involuntary manslaughter)

BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there was cellphone recording of the whole incident

imagine if that were actually true (meant to pull tazer, pull gun instead) - now, not sure why you'd need to taze a cuffed person on the ground

Mr.C 04-07-2015 11:24 PM

I've seen fucked up shit, and this is right up there with police executions in Brazil. What a fucking incompetent officer. Odds are he'll get life.

4444 04-08-2015 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.C (Post 8620894)
I've seen fucked up shit, and this is right up there with police executions in Brazil. What a fucking incompetent officer. Odds are he'll get life.

i'm not so sure - there will be a 'story' behind this, i'm sure.

why did the dude run, though? never run from the cops, and if you're gonna run, zig zag!

ilovebacon 04-08-2015 01:38 AM

i hope that cop dies or get rape!

4444 04-08-2015 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 8620924)
i hope that cop dies or get rape!

haha, judge, jury, and executioner.

i'm not saying the cop isn't likely 100% guilty of 2nd degree murder, but come on!

ilovebacon 04-08-2015 03:02 AM

He had a good 10sec to aim for the leg but he sucks at shooting or pull out a taser. That guy who fled couldn't even get far when back ups arrival.

GLOW 04-08-2015 07:14 AM

he shouldn't have took out his gun at all, but afaik if cops pull out their gun they are trained to hit their target so they aim for the torso (largest part of the body). i don't think they do justice shots like in sega virtual cop.

7seven 04-08-2015 07:32 AM

There is no justification for this shooting, I can see this officer being convicted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 8620824)

That is proper protocol, officers are trained to restrain/secure all downed subjects, even ones that might appear to have fatal injuries. There is a chance that a wounded subject could still be a threat and you don't know if the subject has any other weapons on their person. It might seem over the top, but its just part of the training.

underscore 04-08-2015 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina (Post 8620887)
Like Manic said above... the whole 'race' thing is a much bigger issue in the States than it is here. For decades now, the mainstream media and politics has made it seem like racial tensions - especially between Blacks and Whites - there are a thing of the past.

I get that, but the CBC is a Canadian news outlet. Reading that article the author comes across like someone from an American outlet.

capt_slo 04-08-2015 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8620961)
I get that, but the CBC is a Canadian news outlet. Reading that article the author comes across like someone from an American outlet.

Try reading the British articles...

You'll be hard pressed to find a news story on this incident that doesn't highlight race. Hell, even Fox News headlined it
Quote:

White SC officer charged with murder in shooting death of black man
In the context of what has happened in the last year in the US, you can't ignore the race angle on this story.

underscore 04-08-2015 09:06 AM

Fair point I guess, I'm not saying to ignore the race aspect I just feel like it's a bit much to have it as the leading line.

white rocket 04-08-2015 10:07 AM

Racist headlines rustle jimmies and increase sales. It's just the way it is. Will definitely be interesting to see how the US reacts to this as a whole.