REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Oil Spill in English Bay. Toxic bunker fuel. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702736-oil-spill-english-bay-toxic-bunker-fuel.html)

pastarocket 04-09-2015 08:26 AM

Oil Spill in English Bay. Toxic bunker fuel.

Talking about shit hitting the fan. Bunker fuel was spilled into English Bay.

Oil spill in English Bay | News1130

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – There’s been an oil spill in English Bay.

The City of Vancouver says the substance is bunker fuel. It adds the fuel is toxic and advises people not to touch it.

An emergency response team was called in to deal with the substance just after 5 p.m. yesterday and clean-up continues today.

Chad Dey could see the mess from the News1130 Air Patrol this morning.

“A large area is covered. If you look at the cargo ships that are anchored in English Bay, they are surrounded by large patches of this substance. You can see it on the surface of the water, as well; it tops it near Sunset and First Beach.”

Steve Keenan went out for a paddle last night and came back with a streak of residue on his boat.

“When it was around us, we could smell it,” he describes.

“We stopped in the middle of it. We’d been paddling for about 45 minutes and looked… you could see the brown stuff all over the sides of the boats. So we proceeded to try to get out of that area… but we couldn’t tell which way to go to get of it as fast as possible,” he tells us.

“I needed WD-40… [it was the only thing that was getting it off]. I feels almost like chewing gum,” adds Keenan.

John Parker-Jervis with Port Metro Vancouver says most of the oil is concentrated around a grain vessel, which is believed to be the source of the leak.

“It’s not confirmed that that’s the source,” he explains. “However, given there was a lot around that, the West Coast Marine Response Corporation has boomed off that ship.”

If you see fuel on or near a beach, you’re asked to call the Coast Guard at 1-800-889-8852.

melloman 04-09-2015 08:32 AM

Another reason Crusty Crab is going to say:

"And this is why oil should be transported in pipelines!"

Spoiler!

underscore 04-09-2015 08:36 AM

^ it's not coming from an oil transport ship.

jasonturbo 04-09-2015 08:50 AM

That's super shitty, and sadly expected. It's a coastal/port city, this probably happens every single day on a much smaller scale.

For all we know the ship is well maintained and was recently inspected etc, but if they find any reason to believe otherwise, I hope there are MASSIVE fines involved.

Of course this has nothing to do with pipelines, but it's still a great reminder of the potential consequences of a leak and should put pressure on the Gov to impose significant conditions on the pipeline and ships to prevent a catastrophic release.

Spoiler!

Mining 04-09-2015 09:19 AM

Nothing to do with pipelines or oil transport vessels but I bet it will still have some negative affects for the industry, sigh. However, it is a good reminder and we should not become complacent with our practices so these things not happen again..

westopher 04-09-2015 09:44 AM

Monty is fucking pissed about this. Another weekend of chasing ducks foiled.
Its certainly unfortunate but I'll wait to see how much damage is done before I get my pitchfork.

tool001 04-09-2015 09:46 AM

i hope nobody goes into the waters off engish bay to being with. . all the squatters (i mean boats that are marooned illegally around science world, Granville island and such, dump thr sewage in the bay, that water because it remains still is quite filthy.

mayor Mcbike maybe u should clean-up the bay/enforce by laws rather than building bike lanes.

meme405 04-09-2015 09:54 AM

This has nothing to do with the story (because this story is not related to a tanker ship, nor was it crude which was spilled), but since it is going to come up:

I don't understand how anyone can be against a pipeline because of the belief that a tanker will spill its load. I understand how the debate came up because people seem to stupidly believe that not having a pipeline will take away all the tankers, but that's such a stupid belief it's unbelievable. Tankers are not going away because you don't want a pipeline, nor will not having a pipeline take the tankers away.

The only two things you need to look at to understand that a pipeline is a good choice, is look at the alternative of the actual pipeline. AKA this debate should have always been Rail transport vs. Pipeline.

However that debate didn't fit the hippy idiots argument, because it is so fucking obvious that whichever way you slice it a pipeline is way safer than rail transport.

So instead the hippy idiots made vastly stupid claims, and unreasonably idiotic arguments, and the stupid anti-oil sheep, who don't know shit started rallying behind their stupid movement.

Now we have this nightmare which any reasonable person who looks at it can't believe how something so simple has spiraled into this retarded debate.

And the opposition to pipelines has rallied a bunch of morons, and tied this crap up in political red tape, and now the entire group has basically plugged their ears like a bunch of children and won't listen to any sort of reasoning.

The entire situation is maddening.

jasonturbo 04-09-2015 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8621445)
This has nothing to do with the story (because this story is not related to a tanker ship, nor was it crude which was spilled), but since it is going to come up:

I don't understand how anyone can be against a pipeline because of the belief that a tanker will spill its load. I understand how the debate came up because people seem to stupidly believe that not having a pipeline will take away all the tankers, but that's such a stupid belief it's unbelievable. Tankers are not going away because you don't want a pipeline, nor will not having a pipeline take the tankers away.

The only two things you need to look at to understand that a pipeline is a good choice, is look at the alternative of the actual pipeline. AKA this debate should have always been Rail transport vs. Pipeline.

However that debate didn't fit the hippy idiots argument, because it is so fucking obvious that whichever way you slice it a pipeline is way safer than rail transport.

So instead the hippy idiots made vastly stupid claims, and unreasonably idiotic arguments, and the stupid anti-oil sheep, who don't know shit started rallying behind their stupid movement.

Now we have this nightmare which any reasonable person who looks at it can't believe how something so simple has spiraled into this retarded debate.

And the opposition to pipelines has rallied a bunch of morons, and tied this crap up in political red tape, and now the entire group has basically plugged their ears like a bunch of children and won't listen to any sort of reasoning.

The entire situation is maddening.

Mostly accurate with the exception that we can move a far more significant volume of liquids via pipeline than rail could.. more volume, more traffic, increased possibility of an incident and release.

The facts are this, today the 9th of April 2015 there is oil in English Bay, and there is no Gateway Pipeline.

white rocket 04-09-2015 10:11 AM

Truly a saddening occurrence. Curious as to what measures could have been put in place to prevent something like this from happening? Or happening again? Or is it just a fluke of bad luck?

smoothie. 04-09-2015 11:44 AM

sdubfid 04-09-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white rocket (Post 8621454)
Truly a saddening occurrence. Curious as to what measures could have been put in place to prevent something like this from happening? Or happening again? Or is it just a fluke of bad luck?

Perhaps gluten or carb free diets would have prevented this since it was a grain boat from what I've heard.

Just my gut feeling but after working in a shipyard I would say negligence equivalent to someone driving with 1% brake pad life left. You can get pulled over for a bent license plate on your car but on the water you can plug a hole in your yacht with silly putty and get away with it. There is a bc ferry on the ocean floor with fuel/oil and I don't remember hearing much about fines etc. maybe I'm wrong someone google it

CharlesInCharge 04-09-2015 12:03 PM

We really dont know what happened since you cant trust the media. ie. SandyHook, Boston bombings, Ukraine, 911, etc.
Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8621445)

B.C. already has its own energy resources, coal and gas. On top of that we are waist high in resources... we dont need to be a desperate province that relies on big oil to churn the economy. Basically sucking the Illuminatis dick if members better understand that.
Its obvious that the sheeple are the ones in your debate camp. You have no notion of history or how this country really came about. You have no idea who owns it nor where its headed.
Fukashima already ruined this province by the same players... the last thing we need is brainwashed members of the public like yourself to try an convince us that pipelines and tanker traffic is good for us... and the next thing you'll claim is that the Communist are going to win the global race for domination and for us to sell our children to war or be a stupid sheep hippie.

Im headed to the beach now to see if I can spot anything on the shore.

StylinRed 04-09-2015 12:32 PM

omg not bunker fuel!!!! that's sooooo much worse than just normal ship fuel....oh wait
:rolleyes:

spills are bad of course but this spin with the term 'bunker' is a bit much

Gumby 04-09-2015 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8621409)
Another reason Crusty Crab is going to say:

"And this is why oil should be transported in pipelines!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8621411)
^ it's not coming from an oil transport ship.

Just because it is not coming from an oil transport ship does not mean Christy Clark won't say such nonsense.

Did you see her tweet about Good Friday?

http://d2x3wmakafwqf5.cloudfront.net...ood-friday.jpg

GS8 04-09-2015 01:43 PM

Shitty deal. Hope the cleanup is thorough

What's funny though is the amount of 'social media backlash' that erupted. I went ahead and checked out some of the backlash.

People were just assuming it was an oil tanker that leaked even WELL AFTER it was established it was NOT a tanker.

I swear people in this city do the city no favours by showing off just how fucking stupid they are.

Read the facts, then voice your opinions

gars 04-09-2015 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8621546)
People were just assuming it was an oil tanker that leaked even WELL AFTER it was established it was NOT a tanker.

I swear people in this city do the city no favours by showing off just how fucking stupid they are.

Good on CBC for calling it a fuel spill. Most of the other news outlets are calling it an oil spill - not caring that most people will equate an oil spill to deepwater horizon.

dvst8 04-09-2015 04:06 PM

Had the Kitsilano coast guard station still be open, discovery and clean up time could have been quicker. Fuck you Harper.

smoothie. 04-09-2015 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvst8 (Post 8621570)
Had the Kitsilano coast guard station still be open, discovery and clean up time could have been quicker. Fuck you Harper.

I thought it was more for distress calls than spills?

Tone Loc 04-09-2015 05:16 PM

Cue the moronic Vancouver hippies who will somehow tie this disaster to their anti-pipeline argument in 3, 2, 1....

carisear 04-09-2015 05:32 PM

This is why you need to vote yes in the public transit referendum. If we had more bikes lanes, it's obvious that people would be more inclined to only buy local goods, which in turn lowers the need to import grain and wheat. Without demand, that tanker wouldn't even be here.

Obviously bike lanes could've prevented this!!

Bonka 04-10-2015 12:23 AM

:fuckthatshit:

Mr.Money 04-10-2015 03:15 AM

^^^...fucking idiot...where's the Tackle when you need one? :troll:

mr_chin 04-10-2015 03:53 AM

No wonder my water were a little brown. I showered in it too.

haymura 04-10-2015 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8621546)
Shitty deal. Hope the cleanup is thorough

What's funny though is the amount of 'social media backlash' that erupted. I went ahead and checked out some of the backlash.

I think Vancouver people are so bored that they exaggerate anything that happens to have a quick thrill.

fuel spill = OMG! exxon valdez
stanley cup finals = vatican elected a bad pope riot!
earthquake = RICHMOND'S GONNA SINK!!