REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 04-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

No luck finding a summer job

Hi,

I am frustrated/depressed and seeking some advice atm.

I have been applying to jobs since February, but have had no luck. (February to March were co-op jobs, from which I didn't even get any interviews). So putting my co-op goals aside (highly unlikely to land a job after mid-March), I decided to start applying for summer jobs in early March just to be safe.

It has been about a month of applying to around 30-40 summer (non co-op) jobs and I still haven't received a single call for an interview. My friends have about the same experience as me (uni students) but they seem to have found jobs after applying to only 10-20!

I am very demotivated and let down at the moment, especially since I have been looking since February for coop jobs and couldn't find those and now my backup is not working either...

If someone could please give me some guidance as to what I may be doing wrong? I have been applying to jobs such as bank teller/CSR (I posted a thread about that), pharmacy assistant, retail, and even stocking at Costco! The bank teller job was the closest I got to an interview in which I went in to the bank after calling in early March about potential openings.

The manager seemed interested in hiring me and asked my availability, why I want to change jobs, etc. And said she is hiring next month (should be now) and gave me her card. But I have tried calling them countless times, and emailing her regarding a follow-up but she hasn't gotten back to me.

I assume none of these people are interested in hiring me. How do you guys go about the job search for summer? Here is what I do usually:
- Look online for postings (Craigslist, company websites, etc.) and see what I like
- Tailor resume and cover letter to job specifically and send

Again, my friends have been doing this too and they all have received offers within a week. It's frustrating to hear "just apply" and "keep applying" when I have been doing it longer than they have!

Please let me know what you think,

Thanks
Advertisement
rzrshrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Have you've ever considered that your resume is not up to standard?
Assuming you're in university, go to your career centre and ask the ladies to help you revamp your resume to make you stand out from the rest.
Try volunteering instead of working, volunteer for some non-profits, it looks better on a resume.
axxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Have you had the chance to try networking and/or referrals?
omnomnomnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
I know how you feel man. Maybe my old thread can give you some help.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/69623...ny-advice.html
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxess View Post
Have you've ever considered that your resume is not up to standard?
Assuming you're in university, go to your career centre and ask the ladies to help you revamp your resume to make you stand out from the rest.
Try volunteering instead of working, volunteer for some non-profits, it looks better on a resume.
I am in uni right now. That has been always on the back of my mind. But in all honesty I have gone to a few workshops that work on resumes (including to my co-op coordinator) and they all gave it the okay after a few minor tweaks. I plan on volunteering (in a related field) along with working. I need some income this summer. I also need to write the MCAT so it will be busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnomnomnivore View Post
Have you had the chance to try networking and/or referrals?
I don't really understand how to network. What I do in terms of not applying online is to either call in to see if they are hiring and then go to speak to the manager. Or I talk to some people about if they know of any places that are hiring at the moment, but still no luck.

I just hope it's not too late
Old 04-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Companies usually finalize the summer positions around may so you've still got hope! Keep in mind, while most companies may take a week to get to your resume, some may take a month (its happened to me before). Your resume is what sells you to the employer. Once you've got that, the interview is pretty much to make sure you weren't bsing anything on your resume. Hold your head high!

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Keep looking you'll bound to find one!
There are job fair coming up this month try to keep a eye out
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
CMBC Casual Labour FTT (Post Secondary Students Only)

Translink is hiring for this position. They're specifically looking for post secondary students like yourself. But must have the intention to go back to post secondary once summer is up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Was in the same boat as you during the summer between my 3rd and 4th yr. I had a ton of retail and customer service experience but couldn't land a single job after applying to 20+. It's all a numbers game... sometimes the right resume or availability comes in just when a position is opened.

Funny thing is, I didn't end up getting any of those retail or CSR jobs but a few weeks later I landed an amazing internship at a great company. 3 years later, and I'm now graduated and still with the same company. Don't give up!
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #10
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Companies usually finalize the summer positions around may so you've still got hope! Keep in mind, while most companies may take a week to get to your resume, some may take a month (its happened to me before). Your resume is what sells you to the employer. Once you've got that, the interview is pretty much to make sure you weren't bsing anything on your resume. Hold your head high!
Ugh I feel like I am so screwed, and the sad part is that I have actually started the whole process so long ago. It's a lot of effort dude! On top of heavy school work and five finals to study for just so demotivating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
Keep looking you'll bound to find one!
There are job fair coming up this month try to keep a eye out
Thanks. Do you know of any job fairs that are happening soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
CMBC Casual Labour FTT (Post Secondary Students Only)

Translink is hiring for this position. They're specifically looking for post secondary students like yourself. But must have the intention to go back to post secondary once summer is up.
Hey thanks for the heads up! I just searched the position and the deadline was March 12th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetazeta View Post
Was in the same boat as you during the summer between my 3rd and 4th yr. I had a ton of retail and customer service experience but couldn't land a single job after applying to 20+. It's all a numbers game... sometimes the right resume or availability comes in just when a position is opened.

Funny thing is, I didn't end up getting any of those retail or CSR jobs but a few weeks later I landed an amazing internship at a great company. 3 years later, and I'm now graduated and still with the same company. Don't give up!
That's nice to hear! Just read your thread! Glad to hear you have found a job and are happy now

It's hard though, and I have honestly been trying my best. I'll keep going, hopefully something happens before May. How many jobs should I be applying to weekly? Just did 15 jobs on Monday :/

Thanks for the support guys!
Old 04-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #11

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
If you go to the tranlink website, and head over to the careers section, click the CMBC tab, and you'll find the job posting there.

The posting has been up since April 1st.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #12

Thanked 14,759 Times in 3,870 Posts
What costco did you apply at? Richmond costco is doing a big hiring blitz right now (already doing interviews) so if you are anywhere near there, go in and talk to amanager with your resume
Old 04-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #13
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
If you go to the tranlink website, and head over to the careers section, click the CMBC tab, and you'll find the job posting there.

The posting has been up since April 1st.
Thanks a lot! I will check that out and apply ASAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
What costco did you apply at? Richmond costco is doing a big hiring blitz right now (already doing interviews) so if you are anywhere near there, go in and talk to amanager with your resume
I applied to the Richmond one. They had a hiring fair recently... The mini-interview I had was so short as well, he asked me a few brief questions while asking everyone else a bunch. My friends got interviews already. It's sad when you don't even get a call from Costco.... Thanks lol
Old 04-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
A lot of employers for paid work is looking for people with experience, even for entry level jobs. If you have zero work experience, it's a good idea to volunteer and gain some experience.

It took me 11 months before I actually got a job in my field of study. After a few months of looking, I decided to volunteer and gain some work experience as that greatly helped increase my odds in landing a job as I had zero to none experience in my field. Of course, who the hell wants to work for free, right? But you'll make back everything shortly after.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #15
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
A lot of employers for paid work is looking for people with experience, even for entry level jobs. If you have zero work experience, it's a good idea to volunteer and gain some experience.

It took me 11 months before I actually got a job in my field of study. After a few months of looking, I decided to volunteer and gain some work experience as that greatly helped increase my odds in landing a job as I had zero to none experience in my field. Of course, who the hell wants to work for free, right? But you'll make back everything shortly after.
Already on that brah, I realized I didn't have that great experience (which set me apart from other candidates). So I will be volunteering this summer, which is generally easier to find than a job. But since co-op didn't work out this term, I still need a job for some income! While I need to write my MCAT, I need to be able to do things this summer too!
Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #16
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
try pharmacy assistant at london drugs in bretnwood. gf works there and they always seem to have understaffed , and shes quitting in the next week lol

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:50 PM   #17
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
Spoiler!

Last edited by kevin7352; 04-10-2015 at 11:09 AM.
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:54 AM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Are you looking for a specific occupation? Some jobs just aren't in high demand. I'm surprised Costco didn't hire you though.

In your interviews, are you telling them that it's a summer job? You have to realize that there might be other candidates they are interviewing that wants to stay in the company longer. Also, make sure you have something to offer that is much better than the other candidates. Positivity comes to mind.

Do you have any skills or experience? Maybe look for a job based on those. If you're not afraid of heavy physical work... I'm pretty sure one of the big chain grocery (superstore, london drugs, etc) will hire stockers.

Lastly, if you've tried all I've mentioned and/or don't possess the experience/skills to get into a specific job, McDonald's or 7/11 are probably your last resort.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #19
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts
send me ur resume, i'll send you in and we can exchange ideas.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #20
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

You can try and get your security license and apply for some temporary security jobs.
axxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #21
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

when you type shit like "even stocking at costco!"

really hard for me to take you seriously when i read shit like that from someone who is supposedly hurting for a job.

not just you but alot of folks in that age range are too good for alot of jobs. fastfood? security? labor? any sort of cleaning? those are all jobs for immigrants and poor people right? what if someone sees me in public in my stupid work shirt?!?!!

those jobs aren't cool enough for the kid living at home with zero work experience.

i was grinding out full time jobs in the summer by 14. i got no respect for folks who won't pull up the sleeves and get dirty if need be.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #22
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,944 Times in 585 Posts
Student Border Services Officer
CBSA have student positions.
RCubed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #23
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/04/v...mall-job-fair/

You can thank me when you get a job. Since they are opening lot's of new stores the chance of getting hire is much higher.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #24
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post

really hard for me to take you seriously when i read shit like that from someone who is supposedly hurting for a job.

not just you but alot of folks in that age range are too good for alot of jobs. fastfood? security? labor? any sort of cleaning? those are all jobs for immigrants and poor people right? what if someone sees me in public in my stupid work shirt?!?!!

those jobs aren't cool enough for the kid living at home with zero work experience.

i was grinding out full time jobs in the summer by 14. i got no respect for folks who won't pull up the sleeves and get dirty if need be.
To add to the list there are tons of fresh grad who feel they are above everyone and won't even apply for any entry level job coz they got the "Degree". What that attitude good luck find a job. For some reason this generation feels as soon as they graduate they are entitle to a 80k+ job and anything below isn't worth their time. Funny thing is these are the same people who have a degree in general science, history, or some useless shit degree. They need a reality check. Even people who have years and years of experience with master are having a tough time looking for work.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #25
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
try pharmacy assistant at london drugs in bretnwood. gf works there and they always seem to have understaffed , and shes quitting in the next week lol
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin7352 View Post
Spoiler!
It's easy to say everything will be better man, but the truth is you have to make things better yourself. Nothing is handed to us, especially in this generation (terrible economy, inflation thru the roof, etc.). You have to work to make it better, which is why I am posting this thread.

If anything, I am glad my job search despair has made someone's day better. LOL. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Are you looking for a specific occupation? Some jobs just aren't in high demand. I'm surprised Costco didn't hire you though.

In your interviews, are you telling them that it's a summer job? You have to realize that there might be other candidates they are interviewing that wants to stay in the company longer. Also, make sure you have something to offer that is much better than the other candidates. Positivity comes to mind.

Do you have any skills or experience? Maybe look for a job based on those. If you're not afraid of heavy physical work... I'm pretty sure one of the big chain grocery (superstore, london drugs, etc) will hire stockers.

Lastly, if you've tried all I've mentioned and/or don't possess the experience/skills to get into a specific job, McDonald's or 7/11 are probably your last resort.
Well I don't say specifically that it's a summer job, but I do tell them that I am available F/T during the summer. And that I will get back to them on my fall availability when it approaches but I will be able to do P/T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
send me ur resume, i'll send you in and we can exchange ideas.
Sure, PM me yours! I am still new to this! You can blank out your info obviously and I can help you with what you need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxess View Post
You can try and get your security license and apply for some temporary security jobs.
Hmm good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post

Are you kidding me right now? What I meant was that even Costco won't hire me... Because I don't think it takes a lot of skill to be a stocker. And if I was "too good" for it I would not have applied for it a month ago. I have worked jobs in labour (including car detailing, etc.).

If you don't have anything positive to contribute then don't post here. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
Student Border Services Officer
CBSA have student positions.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/04/v...mall-job-fair/

You can thank me when you get a job. Since they are opening lot's of new stores the chance of getting hire is much higher.
Thanks so much for this brah! I didn't even know until now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
To add to the list there are tons of fresh grad who feel they are above everyone and won't even apply for any entry level job coz they got the "Degree". What that attitude good luck find a job. For some reason this generation feels as soon as they graduate they are entitle to a 80k+ job and anything below isn't worth their time. Funny thing is these are the same people who have a degree in general science, history, or some useless shit degree. They need a reality check. Even people who have years and years of experience with master are having a tough time looking for work.
Well, it would be nice if we put the skills we learn to use (lab techniques, research, etc.). But I see what you are saying. Speaking for myself and my colleagues, none of us feel we are "entitled" to anything. Sure you can apply for any entry level job, but where is that taking you? That is the real question? Is a job at Costco really going to benefit my career that much in the long run, other than to pay my bills?

Thanks for your input though, just please don't generalize this to everyone in the generation because not all of us are like this.
This post FAILED by: