REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #51
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Its simple, its backed by the fact that if your vehicle is travelling at an indicated speed, it is in fact travelling at that indicated speed.

Not always true...IF the speed is "indicated" by Police Laser/Radar it will be within 1 kmh...as I have previously posted....IF your speedo is accurate to the same standard then it may be true....assuming no mods or defects in the speedo. The blanket statement you made is a generalization and is not correct 100% of the time.

I wish I could provide the documents regarding all of this, but because its company information they will not allow it to be published in a public forum.
When the Prius unintended acceleration claims started, Toyota Canada was put under the knife and this was one of the things they had to provide, which was used in the legal proceedings.

The simple answer, if your vehicle is travelling at 50km/h, as indicated on your dash, you are pulled over and ticked for doing 51km/h, you have full and total legal grounds to fight it and with the backing of every auto maker on the planet, the DOT and SAE as well as TUV in Europe.

[I]You have the right to diispute any VT you get...no guarantee you will get off though. Depends on all sorts of variables already discussed here.
[/I]

Zlutango, its a simple question. How many motor vehicle operators have YOU issued a speeding violation for doing 1km/h over the posted speed limit? With your 28 years of experience I'm sure you have seen thousands of vehicles travelling 1km/h over the posted speed so that should indicate thousands of violations handed out and convicted......right?

Already discussed previously...take a look.
Advertisement
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #52
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Law's the law, even 1 kph over is technically illegal. 50/50 shot on it being thrown out at court.

That being said, I've been in a private Q&A session with an RCMP officer. He said that *HE* does not chase people unless they are going at least 30kph over.

That's probably not the best attitude to have, but it's the RCMP so I can't expect much.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #53
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Ive gotten pulled over and given a warning for going 61(ish) in a 60 zone before. Cop was traveling at 60 and I passed him ever so slowly.
I know....I was an idiot
BinsentoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:27 AM   #54
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Law's the law, even 1 kph over is technically illegal. 50/50 shot on it being thrown out at court.

That being said, I've been in a private Q&A session with an RCMP officer. He said that *HE* does not chase people unless they are going at least 30kph over.

That's probably not the best attitude to have, but it's the RCMP so I can't expect much.

He must not have been a Traffic Member... I always found plenty of drivers at 20+kmh that attracted my attention. The analogy I used is that...it's like fishing...I always wanted the biggest Salmon available, not the smallest....however, some days the "biggest fish may be smaller than the "biggest fish" on other days. Sometimes it may be...catch and release, while oither days it may be catch and fry.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #55
I subscribe to Revscene

Blanshard Street in Victoria - 6 lanes, 50k limit.

IRSU set up in a bus zone to catch dangerous drivers, steps out to pull over a late-model Volvo SUV in the right lane driven by a middle-aged man. He was doing about 62. Up until that point he was driving safely, not tailgating, etc...

In the left lane, some trashbag in a riced-out POS 90's Acura coupe was driving like a moron - tailgating, driving faster than the Volvo and weaving in and out of other cars. Didn't catch a glance from the safety squad.

This is the problem with speed enforcement - the 5 seconds (or less) to acquire a vehicle's speed is a microscopic sample of the driver's overall behavior on the road. The police KNOW that there are more dangerous drivers on the road, yet it's clear from the number of speeding tickets issued (Over 170,000 in 2014 in BC) that the police are more interested in sticking it to the safe driver and leaving the jackasses alone.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #56
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Blanshard Street in Victoria - 6 lanes, 50k limit.

IRSU set up in a bus zone to catch dangerous drivers, steps out to pull over a late-model Volvo SUV in the right lane driven by a middle-aged man. He was doing about 62. Up until that point he was driving safely, not tailgating, etc...

In the left lane, some trashbag in a riced-out POS 90's Acura coupe was driving like a moron - tailgating, driving faster than the Volvo and weaving in and out of other cars. Didn't catch a glance from the safety squad.

This is the problem with speed enforcement - the 5 seconds (or less) to acquire a vehicle's speed is a microscopic sample of the driver's overall behavior on the road. The police KNOW that there are more dangerous drivers on the road, yet it's clear from the number of speeding tickets issued (Over 170,000 in 2014 in BC) that the police are more interested in sticking it to the safe driver and leaving the jackasses alone.
To be fair, the officer I only one person. They cant see or catch every driver. I see many drivers doing stupid things on my commute every day. I also see people pulled over every day. Not often do I see the stupid people that I saw before pulled over, but the officer was not in my shoes, he/she did not see what I saw and you cant ticket people for something you did not witness happening.

Personally I think the fine for speeding these days is insignificant and that is why so many people do it. No one seems to have an issue with driving 10kms over the posted speed. I sit in the slow lane, cruise control and at the speed limit and still get passed, non-stop.

How do you know that the 170,000 were all "safe" drivers? Its rather clear that if 170,000 people were fined for traffic violations they would not classify as "safe".

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #57
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

This thread delivers LOL.

Never have I heard of a ticket for 1km over ahahahha, I've gotten a ticket for going 75mph in a 70mph in Nevada. The cop pretty much had nothing else to do, I was probably the only car that passed by in hours so I cant fault him for that.

There must be more to this 1km over ticket.

And as I've said time and time again, when you see a cop, slow the fuck down to under the limit, if the limit is 80, do 75. Then you have no reason to get a ticket, sure you annoy everyone by doing this but it saves you 3 points on your license, and the shame of coming here to have everyone bag on you.

Its probably my fault.

Last edited by rriggi; 04-20-2015 at 02:12 PM.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #58
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
This thread delivers LOL.

Never have I heard of a ticket for 1km over ahahahha, I've gotten a ticket for going 75mph in a 70mph in Nevada. The cop pretty much had nothing else to do, I was probably the only car that passed by in hours so I cant fault him for that.

There must be more to this 1km over ticket.
Well, I did post this before, but I guess it got lost in the discussions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the officer is not required to indicate the speed you were clocked at on the ticket.
Also, the OP never mentioned if it was noted on the ticket that he was ticketed for going exactly 1km/hr over the speed limit. If it's not, there is nothing to suggest that the officer gave the ticket for that and at the roadside, the friend may have misunderstood "I am giving you a ticket for going at least 1km/h over the speed limit" as "I am giving you a ticket for going 1km/h over the limit".

You'll probably lose in court unless the officer specifically indicated anywhere on the ticket that you were being busted for going exactly 1km/h over as opposed to going over 1km/h faster which can mean basically any speed above 50km/h.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:30 AM   #59
RS Peace Officer

Police do NOT write the speed on the VT. There is no place for it and it could prejudice any attempt by the Cop to give you a break and issue a VT for a lower speed. Traffic Court Judges andf JP's have made this exact observation many time in court when disputants want to bring it up. The $$$ figure indicates what speed range you are being charged with violating...eg 1-20k, 21-40k, 41-60 k or 60+kmh.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #60
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Police do NOT write the speed on the VT. There is no place for it and it could prejudice any attempt by the Cop to give you a break and issue a VT for a lower speed. Traffic Court Judges andf JP's have made this exact observation many time in court when disputants want to bring it up. The $$$ figure indicates what speed range you are being charged with violating...eg 1-20k, 21-40k, 41-60 k or 60+kmh.
Must be a BC thing. I got a speeding ticket when i was in NS that had a box saying how fast i was clocked at years ago
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #61
RS Peace Officer

The tickets then required a court appearance...and you could have somebody appear for you and tell the court when your MANDITORY 7 day licence suspension would run. I appeared for a buddy of mine and he took his when he was on holiday in Florida. A few things have changed since then.