REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Two Violations Disputed but no longer have my car

Hi,

I've tried searching the forums as well as Google to see if I could come up with any results before posting on here.

Back in 2013 I was pulled over for two reasons. The cop said my exhaust was widened. (This was an greddy evo2 on my tsx) and as well my brake light above my trunk was accidentally unplugged by some stuff I had in my trunk moving around.

After the officer did a few rounds my car to see if my front plate was relocated etc etc, he handed me a ticket to sign. I refused to sign the ticket as I was told my exhaust was legal to a certain decibel as well as a certain diameter. Him and I argued a bit and eventually he just gave me the ticket and handed me a VI with the violations and said "we will see if your car is illegal when you get the VI." He was giving me a lot of attitude, but when he first approached I had my license and papers all ready and was very polite, I even asked if he would be kind enough to give me a warning for my tail light as I had no idea and all my others were perfectly fine.

The two violations were:
7.03(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.

4.02(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

So it is now 2015 and I have since sold my car, of course since there was a VI on my car I couldn't have sold it unless it passed the inspection, which it did. This was done at Kingsway Honda which he requested that I have it done at a Honda/Acura dealership on the ticket.

So my question now is since I no longer have the car, how do I argue this in court? How do I argue that everything was legal on my car except for a tail light that was unplugged?

Or do I just pray that the cop doesn't show up?

Thank you for everyone's time and help.

Cheers
Advertisement

Last edited by Way2ricey; 04-10-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Way2ricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
It doesn't matter if you no longer have the car, you broke the law and got fined at the time and you will get roasted if you go further with the dispute. Just pay it and get over it!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2ricey View Post
Back in 2013 I was pulled over for two reasons. The cop said my exhaust was widened. (This was an greddy evo2 on my tsx) and as well my brake light above my trunk was accidentally unplugged by some stuff I had in my trunk moving around.
Match your username alright
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
"Alteration prohibited
(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion
engine equipped with a muffler the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.
Noise increase or flames prohibited
(5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be emitted from the exhaust system. "

Technically, any aftermarket exhaust with a larger than OE diameter or louder than OE noise level, is prohibited according to the MVA. Thankfully it is not a commonly enforced regulation. However in your case, regardless of the VI, you can be ticketed for it as well as your brake light (your responsibility to insure than your lights are in working order).

IF you decide to fight it, chances are you will end up paying it anyway as you admit that the light was not hooked up properly and you admit that there was an aftermarket (performance) exhaust system on the vehicle.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You can't give me a speeding ticket because I'm now standing outside my car? You can contest the VTs but you told us here that you were guilty of the charges and (reading between the lines of what you told us happened in your discussion) maybe your attitude at roadside got you where you are today. You are not required to sign and he is not required to hold roadside traffic court for you. Telling him he doesn't know his job...when even you admit he did, is also not going to get you a break. The fact that it later passed an inspection does not mean that it was not repaired before the inspection was done...as this is a common practice for peoiple getting an inspection to a modded vehilce...it's an option mentioned often here on RS.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote