REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   ICBC road test (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702773-icbc-road-test.html)

palve 04-11-2015 12:38 PM

ICBC road test

I'll have road test soon and there are some rules that are confusing me:

1. How do I know speed to merge highways if there is no speed limit sign.
e.g. merging from Londsdale https://www.google.pl/maps/@49.33172...DdHegk_F8g!2e0 the speed on highway is 80km/h but there is no speed limit sign, so should I merge at 80km/h anyway ?

2. Do I have to keep both hands on steering wheel when reverse stall parking ? I couldn’t imagine looking backwards and not palming.

3. When there is green line for cyclists without white solid or dashed line, can I drive this line or I should avoid and use this line only when turning right ? eg. https://www.google.pl/maps/@49.32000.../data=!3m1!1e3

Can you please clarify this for me ?

tylenol 04-11-2015 05:07 PM

You should start by learning how to spell

Yodamaster 04-11-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palve (Post 8622480)

1. Merge at the speed limit, which you should assume is around 80kph on most highways around here. Outside of the test I merge at whatever speed traffic is flowing at, that may be above the speed limit, so I would not advise it for a test. Speed limit is always considered over the flow of traffic in tests.

2. Depends on the instructor, though one hand on the back of the passenger's headrest is usually what people do (including myself). What they are really looking for is good spacial awareness (360 check) and proper technique (know when to turn in).

3. IDK, that kind of thing didn't exist when I got my license. My version of the roadsense book does not cover that kind of lane (just checked again, only covers dedicated bike lanes). I'd stay out of it unless I had to turn or park.

Jmac 04-11-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palve (Post 8622480)

1. How do I know speed to merge highways if there is no speed limit sign.
e.g. merging from Londsdale https://www.google.pl/maps/@49.33172...DdHegk_F8g!2e0 the speed on highway is 80km/h but there is no speed limit sign, so should I merge at 80km/h anyway ?

2. Do I have to keep both hands on steering wheel when reverse stall parking ? I couldn’t imagine looking backwards and not palming.

3. When there is green line for cyclists without white solid or dashed line, can I drive this line or I should avoid and use this line only when turning right ? eg. https://www.google.pl/maps/@49.32000.../data=!3m1!1e3

1: Merging
This sign tells you the right lane will end soon.
If you’re driving in a lane that ends ahead, you need to change
lanes. Adjust your speed, keeping within the speed limit, and
wait for a safe gap in the other lane.
If you are driving next to a lane that ends ahead, help the
merging traffic by adjusting your speed or changing lanes.

Statutory highway speed limit in BC is 80 km/h. Unless otherwise posted, the speed limit is assumed to be 80 km/h.

2: To reverse in a straight line:
Shift to reverse, perform your 360 degree check, and then place your left hand on the top/middle of the steering wheel (12:30). Look over your right shoulder through the rear window – focus on something in the middle of the window if possible, such as a tree or parked car that is directly in the centre of your rear window. Proceed at a walking pace. *This is the only time that you are allowed to have one hand on the steering wheel during the ICBC road test.

3: Bicycle lanes
Bicycle lanes are reserved for cyclists. Sometimes you will need
to cross a bicycle lane to turn right, or to pull to the side of the
road. Take extra care when you do this. The rules for bicycle
lanes are:
• don’t drive, stop or park in a bicycle lane.
• you may only cross a bicycle lane if the white line is broken or
to turn into or out of a driveway.

Seems pretty cut and dry. Don't drive in the lane, cut across it to turn right if safe to do so and white line is broken.

palve 04-11-2015 07:42 PM

Your replies was very helpful.

Sorry for obvious spelling mistake I know it hurts eyes when read, but I can't edit thread name.

PeanutButter 04-12-2015 03:32 PM

During my driving test I had your exact first scenario. I was merging onto the highway and I didn't know what to do as I was coming off a 50km/h limit and merging onto the highway. I did not start to accelerate and was cruising around 50ish. Luckily, no cars were on the highway at the time when I merged onto the highway.

My tester started to yell at me and asked me why on earth was I not accelerating in the merging lane. I franticly told her that I didn't see a speed limit sign and was worried of going over the limit in the merging lane.

She gave me shit and said that if there were cars on the highway and I didn't merge at the appropriate speed (the limit of the highway was 80km/h) I would have failed. Since there were no cars on the highway, because I merged at 50km/h it wasn't a dangerous action. But, if I tried to merge at 50km/h if there were cars on the highway she said I would have failed because that's dangerously too slow to merge.

I thought I failed right there and I quickly became upset and sad and I still had like 20mins left on my test. (I was nailing everything up until that point). Then we made our way back to the same highway and she gave me a second chance and I accelerated appropriately.

We were supposed to do a verbal test to check if I knew the driving hazards, but we didn't do that because she wanted to see me merge again.

When we got back to the driving centre, i thought I failed. She gave me shit again about merging and then asked me how I did. I told her I did terrible and I was so sorry for not merging correctly. She said, I wasn't terrible and the only thing I messed up was the merging and she passed me.

That was quite the experience for me when I was younger. So make sure you accelerate on the merging lane.

I have no idea about the other two questions though. Good luck!

Rich Sandor 04-14-2015 10:00 PM

You will see this sign on every onramp for bc's main freeways - that tells you its time to speed up ABOVE 60kph to match the flow of traffic - 80/90/100 depending.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/...sUnder60km.gif

OPEN YOUR EYES. Most people have no idea this sign exists yet they see it every day. Its basically telling you that if your car cant do 60kph, that you cannot be on this highway. So its time to start speeding up!!!.

Quote:

R-13

VEHICLES INCAPABLE OF 60 km/h
PEDESTRIANS, BICYCLES, FARM
IMPLEMENTS, ANIMALS PROHIBITED

The R-13 sign should be erected at the beginning or entrances to all
Schedule 1 Highways. Where possible it should be so located as to
prevent prohibited traffic from entering the highway. Schedule 1
Highways are listed in Division 19 of the Motor Vehicle Act
Regulations.

Where cyclists are allowed on segments of Schedule 1 Highways, a
modified R-13 signs with the word “BICYCLES” deleted from the
sign may be used.
Quote:

Schedule 1 — Highways

(1) Trans-Canada Highway #1 — from the ferry terminal at Horseshoe Bay to the north approach to the Ironworkers Memorial Second Narrows Bridge; from its intersection with Rupert Street to its junction with Route #3 in Hope; from its junction with the Coquihalla Highway (Afton Interchange) on the west approach to Kamloops to its junction with the Yellowhead Highway on the east approach to Kamloops.

(2) Hope-Princeton Highway #3 — from its junction with the Trans-Canada Highway in Hope to its junction with the Coquihalla Highway, 7.7 km east.

(3) Coquihalla Highway #5 — from its junction with the Hope-Princeton Highway, 7.7 km east of Hope to its junction with the Trans-Canada Highway (Afton Interchange) on the west approach to Kamloops.

(4) Annacis Highway #91 — from its interchange with the Vancouver-Blaine Highway to the south approach to the Annacis Bridge; from the north approach to the Annacis Bridge to the south approach to the East Channel Bridge; from the north approach to the East Channel Bridge to the Richmond Connector.

(5) Annacis Highway #91A — from the Richmond Connector to the south approach to the Queensborough Bridge.

(6) Vancouver-Blaine Highway #99 — from 1st Avenue in Surrey to the south approach of the Oak Street Bridge.

(7) Okanagan Connector Highway #97C — from its junction with Highway 5A to its junction with Okanagan Highway 97, a total distance of approximately 84 kilometres.

(8) The Inland Island Highway 19 — from Craig's Crossing south of Parksville to its intersection with Highway 19A at Willow/Tamarac in Campbell River.

(9) Highway 19 — from its North Cedar Road intersection with Trans-Canada Highway 1, south of Nanaimo, to its intersection with Highway 19A north of Nanaimo.