REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 04-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

dashcam, power magic pro won't turn on

Hi all,

I am trying to hardwire using power magic pro, I have followed instructions and plan to tap the cabin fuse box. I have located a ground, an always on fuse(interior lights) and a ACC(radio). The darn thing won't turn on so I thought I had a faulty unit.

I have a power supply at work and tested it, it turned on fine.

Any insight?

PS installing in a 07 Acura TSX
Advertisement
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Make sure that it is actually ground and that you connect the dash cam to the PMP. Those were the issues I had in my install.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #3

I am using the same ground as my car alarm............I haven't tried a different location, but if its good for my car alarm it should be good for pmp?
Old 04-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

You sure didn't tap into switched power instead of constant power? Try opening your door to see if the dash cam comes on.

If nothing happens, perhaps you might have wired it backwards.

Good luck

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Have you verified that the BATT power exceeds the turnoff threshold? I experienced the same issue when working on my car with the Power Magic. Turns out that the battery voltage dropped to just under 12V from having the door open and doing some testing during the installation process. This in turn prevented the power magic from turning on. After starting the car, everything was working fine.
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 06:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibuddha View Post
You sure didn't tap into switched power instead of constant power? Try opening your door to see if the dash cam comes on.

If nothing happens, perhaps you might have wired it backwards.

Good luck
I tested the fuse with a multimeter and I get 12.7 V when the car is not running.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu81 View Post
Have you verified that the BATT power exceeds the turnoff threshold? I experienced the same issue when working on my car with the Power Magic. Turns out that the battery voltage dropped to just under 12V from having the door open and doing some testing during the installation process. This in turn prevented the power magic from turning on. After starting the car, everything was working fine.
I did not close my car door and then try it..................I would be so pissed if this was the issue though.

But thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #8

Got it working, looks like the always on fuse that I first use was not true always on. So I tapped in to Daytime running lights and its fine now.