REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Anyone been to Canadian Grand Prix? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702804-anyone-been-canadian-grand-prix.html)

maxx 04-12-2015 11:28 PM

Anyone been to Canadian Grand Prix?

Heading to Montreal to watch F1.
Any suggestions for seating? Pole position or Senna turn?
What time of day to go there? Should we go there for practice? or just qualies and the race?

Any and all info is appreciated.

roopi 04-13-2015 09:13 AM

I'm considering going this year as well so any feedback would be appreciated.

AWDTurboLuvr 04-13-2015 11:08 AM

I would go for the qualifying and the race, I'd rather spend more time in the city.

As far as seating goes, I would recommend pole, Grandstand 12/11 or Grandstand 21 and 24, in that order.

Pole, you see the celebration and pit lane. Plus you get the bucket seats (I'm pretty sure they still have them). However, bring some shade and hydrate, because you get the most sun here. However, the cars go by really quickly and you don't "see" as much action.

With 12/11, you can see the start/finish and you are close to the TV so you can watch the race easier, usually lots of action as all the cars race down at the start to get positioning here. Not as much speed through here though.

With 21 and 24, you'll see the the power of braking and acceleration the best here. I'd recommend seating higher up if you want to see a bit more and take nicer pictures, as you'll be above the safety fence. Lower down, the speed is accentuated.

If this is your first time going, I'd recommend grandstand 12 and 11. You see a lot more action.

If you aren't seating in pole, bring a camping cushion because the alum. bleachers get really uncomfortable after awhile.

twitchyzero 04-13-2015 01:33 PM

check the F1 threads from last year and this year...I posted a pretty detailed post with pics.
should be good times...wish I can go again and I'm not even a big fan. Montreal really becomes alive and feels like Olympics in Vancouver.

maxx 04-13-2015 06:02 PM

great info, thanks. twitchy can you post the links to the posts you are talking about?

maxx 05-05-2015 01:44 AM

bought tickets to the Senna Corner for all three days, anyone else heading out?

StylinRed 05-05-2015 03:11 AM

looks like several RS'rs are going

check the f1 thread in vac

ackjaman 05-05-2015 08:26 AM

i'm going! bachelor party so its gonna be nuts

maxx 05-05-2015 01:28 PM

well i checked the F1 thread and didnt see anything. If anyone wants to meet up there, PM me

Hondaracer 05-05-2015 03:04 PM

dem strip clubs doe...grabbin asses and squeezin titties

maxx 05-05-2015 03:06 PM

dont care about strip clubs, but word on the street is that they are full contact...

jasonturbo 05-05-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxx (Post 8633320)
dont care about strip clubs, but word on the street is that they are full contact...

Yeah, so long as you contribute to their "astronaut education fund" or whatever they plan on being once they pry that straw out of their nose... you can touch them "anywhere but the cookie"..

... unless you spend a lot of money, then cookie is on the menu.

Avoid Club Super Sex... find Chez Paree.

Grand Prix weekend is a good time, probably one of the few times you can enjoy Montreal and not feel like the locals hate you for not speaking french.

I speak french and blow lots of money on strippers, they seem to like me :toot:

Montreal and Vancouver are easily the best cities in Canada!!!!!

Hondaracer 05-05-2015 05:03 PM

Montreal is fine with not speaking French, it's when you go outside of the city center when you run into ignorance

jasonturbo 05-05-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8633338)
Montreal is fine with not speaking French, it's when you go outside of the city center when you run into ignorance

Keyword being city centre, once you voyage away from Centre Ville, Place Des Arts, View Port, etc... the english gets bad in a hurry.. I've been to smaller restaurants in the downtown core that struggled with English. I've also been outside the core a fair bit... assume zero english. IMO Most of the locals don't care for the anglophones, especially the ones who show up to get loser drunk and fondle strippers.

Thank god I'm not one of those losers!

Spoiler!

4444 05-05-2015 09:46 PM

you will have a great time, F1 races are about the sounds, smells, and speed in person (it's unbelievable) - unfortunately you are going to a flat track, so you will only see your small part of the track.

Some of the old school hill side tracks in Europe are amazing as you see many parts of the track as it goes up and down in elevation (Spa, specifically).

really enjoy your day, it's a great day out (montreal is great as it's easy to get to from the city on transit)

maxx 05-05-2015 10:45 PM

good thing i speak french..ish..

i guess strip club it is.. havent been to once since brandi's in 2005..

nabs 05-05-2015 11:17 PM

You don't need to know French in Montreal. It's just the older folk that you need french for. Also the festivities during Grand Prix are soooo much fun! Rue St. Katherines is amazing!

Hondaracer 05-06-2015 07:49 AM

Back when they were still the V12's my mom went to both the Canadian Grand Prix and fhe American Grand Prix, said to this day never heard anything louder in her life, physically felt ill from the volume lol

maxx 05-06-2015 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
#teamLH

4444 05-06-2015 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8633585)
Back when they were still the V12's my mom went to both the Canadian Grand Prix and fhe American Grand Prix, said to this day never heard anything louder in her life, physically felt ill from the volume lol

i was surprised that it is still loud. admittedly i do not have the old engines to compare to, but it certainly isn't quiet like how the media portrays.

granted, i'd have loved to have heard the old engines, myself

Hondaracer 05-07-2015 11:54 AM

Man I want one of those Benz team hats but then I'll look like a tool lol :okay:

bcrdukes 05-07-2015 12:18 PM

Shameless plug, but if anybody is looking for 3-day General Admission tickets, I have a pair for sale @ 50% off.

Great68 05-07-2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8633585)

Even the V8's were ear blowing loud.
I thought I could just tough it out without earplugs, but I was reaching for them about 1/2 way into the first practice.

So glad I could hear the last of the high RPM N/A motors in person.
One of my buddies goes to Montreal every year for the last 5 years, he said it was pretty disappointing last year, just wasn't as exhilarating as years previous. (And he's not bothering to go again this year).

But if a turbo-era GP is someone's first GP, they wouldn't know the difference I guess.

maxx 05-10-2015 12:37 PM

Fellas, another questions, is it possible to run from the Senna corner to the main straight to watch the award ceremony at the end of the race?