REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
St. Paul's Hospital is closing its doors and relocating

St Paul's Hospital to close, new facility built - British Columbia - CBC News

I'm not sure how i feel about this. It does make sense to a certain extent because I figured slowly upgrading it would be costly and would be a pain in the ass. Interesting to see how this will unfold over the next little while and how it'll change the dynamics of health care in the downtown core and where its relocating to.
Advertisement
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Best part about this whole thing is; their main corridor to downtown is the viaducts..

The one thing mayor moonbeam is trying so hard to demolish, leaving this hospital with drastically longer response times.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
The site is big time haunted, my sister is a nurse at St Pauls and there's certain area's she will not go at night at all.

I think its sad especially since its over 100 years old but in the long run I think its better off building a new hospital rather then dealing with so many unknown's with fixing St Pauls.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

They'll be able to pay for most of the new facility with the property sale of the existing location i'm sure. But taxes will still go up to pay for it, gotta line somebodies pockets with the revenues I guess.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

The price tag of the new facility is estimated at $1.2 Billion

I can't rmbr how much the original quote was when they said they'd do renos.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was haunted...it's gotta have some history. Heck, it'd be safe to assume all hospitals are haunted. I've always been uneasy in hospitals.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I was born there!! I know times have changed, but, a little sad its gonna be gone
Habboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,134 Times in 7,146 Posts
St. Pauls is so run down I don't see any other options. There is no way that they can renovate and rebuild St. Pauls, while maintaining necessary capacity. I think this is a good choice, although as said the fact there are no hospitals DT is concerning.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I worked at SPH for 6 years and we've heard about this for a long time. Now it's finally official. I think they recently spent 10-20 million on renovating the Emergency dept.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604STIG View Post
They'll be able to pay for most of the new facility with the property sale of the existing location i'm sure. But taxes will still go up to pay for it, gotta line somebodies pockets with the revenues I guess.
Apparently they're expecting something in the range of $480M from the old property sale.

The current building requires $850M in work for seismic upgrades and major electrical & mechanical system overhauls/modernizations. The Gov. said they'd pay $500 million but the hospital has had a lot of trouble raising their $350M portion.

Last edited by capt_slo; 04-13-2015 at 10:36 AM.
capt_slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,314 Times in 5,635 Posts
I was born der, and homie I'll die der
Old 04-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
For better or for worse, I have been to St. Paul many, many times, and news of the relocation is giving me a lot of mixed feelings.

I completely understand the need for the relocation, but I can't tell what kind of impact it will create for the DT core. In some ways, I see a lot of benefits in having a hospital right there in the heart of DT, esp when our DT is as residential as it is.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I was born der, and homie I'll die der
Planning on living only 7 more years?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

I've been wondering if this would ever happen. I remember hearing about it like 10 years ago, and thinking AWESOME. St. Pauls is a dump, and should be torn down. Where would you rather get treated if you were sick -- a 100 year old building that has been patched up over the years, or a new state of the art place?

I didn't think it would ever happen, with all of the activists, protestors, heritage housing, west end associations ... etc etc etc ... saying that it should stay.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #14

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
They have spent quite a bit on Hospitals in the last little bit not that they didn't them. I wonder when this is coming out for tender, I heart bidding Hospitals.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #15
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
St. Pauls is so run down I don't see any other options. There is no way that they can renovate and rebuild St. Pauls, while maintaining necessary capacity. I think this is a good choice, although as said the fact there are no hospitals DT is concerning.
They've been doing a lot of work to KGH the last while and from the few times I've been in there during the work it seemed to cause a lot of headache for anyone working or visiting the hospital in the affected areas. A completely new building will be loads better overall IMO.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #16
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Best part about this whole thing is; their main corridor to downtown is the viaducts..

The one thing mayor moonbeam is trying so hard to demolish, leaving this hospital with drastically longer response times.
it's ok. they'll create ambulance bikes to use bike lanes.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I completely understand the need for the relocation, but I can't tell what kind of impact it will create for the DT core. In some ways, I see a lot of benefits in having a hospital right there in the heart of DT, esp when our DT is as residential as it is.
Actually, now that I think about it, it strikes me as odd that the provincial government is proposing a move for St Paul. Why does it have to be a move? Why can't the new hospital be constructed at the proposed site at False Creek and have the heavy duty, new resource intensive care transferred over to False Creek, while the current St. Paul continues with simple upkeep and remain open to look after the easier stuff? This way, residents of the DT core can continue to receive medical care. Having a new hospital should not be associated with demolishing St. Paul.

At the end of the day, it seems to me that if the provincial government is willing to fund this, it will happen.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #18

Spoiler!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #19
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,256 Times in 1,620 Posts
I worked at St Paul's for almost 5 years. Logistically, this is not a good move. Response times will suffer, translating to worse treatment than before (depending on the situation of course). Sure, the place is super old but it was functional none the less and the staff from top to bottom have done the best they can given the circumstances.

Also, keep in mind there are tons of hospitals that are more "ghetto" than this. Funding is always an issue and even when the money shows up, it doesn't mean they are spending it where it SHOULD be spent. Politics plays a big part in this even though it shouldn't.

At the end of the day, if the hospital saves your life or that of someone you care about, do you really care how the place physically looks? I know what my answer is.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #20

My wife works at St. Pauls and I assure it has nothing to do with LOOKING ghetto. The place is a shithole, which will crumble like ned flanders' bomb shelter at the slightest seismic activity. Its not going to last, and their hands I'm sure are somewhat tied. However I agree that as stated before, the by far ideal situation would be to spend half the money on building a new hospital, and also refurbish St. Pauls to modern code when that can start taking patients. We can't afford to maintain the status quo when it comes to medical care in Vancouver. They are spouting off about how badly we need more busses with our growing population, but not much mention about how people can wait 5+ hours in a waiting room for serious issues.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #21
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,256 Times in 1,620 Posts
I think everyone agrees that seismic stability of the building is nowhere near current standards. I too agree that they should spend some of this money on restructuring the building for continued service.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #22
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
The site is big time haunted, my sister is a nurse at St Pauls and there's certain area's she will not go at night at all.

I think its sad especially since its over 100 years old but in the long run I think its better off building a new hospital rather then dealing with so many unknown's with fixing St Pauls.
Go on. I'm interested.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
My wife works at St. Pauls and I assure it has nothing to do with LOOKING ghetto. The place is a shithole, which will crumble like ned flanders' bomb shelter at the slightest seismic activity.
Right, I forgot about the need for seismic upgrades. This was cited to be the reason why building new is cheaper than retrofitting, and I'd have to agree. But it doesn't change the fact that those in the DT core will be more poorly served as a result of the St. Paul relocation.

Given the various wait times for different medical procedures in Greater Vancouver, I have little doubt that our population could fully utilize both a hospital at the current St. Paul location, and a new one at the proposed False Creek site. IMO, all it needs is the political willingness for the provincial government to support it and go through with it.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #24

they're banking on most of downtown being ghost condos/investment condos in the future

yeah that'd be a pretty good idea to utilize both locations. Too bad political willingness will be pretty hard to muster.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #25
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
srs question...are there physical dividers inside the Viaduct bike lanes or can emerg vehicles squeeze into them? It's been months since I drove DT so I can't recall.
Not sure if feasible but they should retain a satellite emerg department within the DT core when this new one goes up.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote