REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Strata Violating Bylaw

We opened a dog grooming store in Vancouver many years ago. We have this bylaw:
An owner, tenant or occupant of strata lot shall not use a strata lot in any way that corresponds with or similar to that of any existing use of a strata lot unless the prior written consent of the owner, tenant or occupant and the council is obtained.
3 weeks ago, a new store opened up in the same complex, offering the exact same services as ours. We complained to strata, but since they are also the leasing agency for this new store, they are profiting from this and unwilling to help. We checked with a lawyer, and since we are taking on the strata/leasing agency, they have more money than us, so if they drag the lawsuit on, we will not be able to afford it. We talked to a few media outlets, but this issue is too small for them to investigate.

Lastly, we sent legal letters to the strata/leasing agency, and they finally responded: They said that the stores are not similar enough to affect our business, and so we should just sit down and work with this new store.

We checked with the City of Vancouver. We have the same animal license including dog day care and pet grooming.
Us: Rejoice Pet Salon
Them: Pipsqueak Pups is a cozy doggie daycare for small dogs

It's rather sad to see that the strata can get away with violating bylaws. Is there anything we can do?
Advertisement
rejoicepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Call 3-1-1 and ask.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
it could be argued that your store is a Pet Salon, vs their Day Care.

both websites show that you're more focused on the different cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Pipsqueak Pups also caters exclusively to small dogs.

Both sides have valid arguments, I guess it depends on the interpretation of "use... that corresponds with or similar to"

Did the lawyer say you have no case or that you may have a case but it is just not worth pursuing?
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Good luck with the fight but judging by what they advertise, you are in fact two different businesses offering different services.

You may have similar clientele, but your business is not the same.

Based off your comment and the description of the businesses it sounds more like you are in fear that you may loose business to them and are trying to find a way to shut them down. Rather than do that, why not find a way to offer a better service than them at a better price point. Being that you are established and they are new it should not be hard to do.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
Salon vs. daycare.

just because they overlap doesn't mean it's exactly the same services. I think you need to rework your business plans.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
For those that didn't look that closely at Pipsqueak Pups services, while they are primarily a daycare, they offer grooming services.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

Not sure why the leasing agency wants their tenant businesses to cannibalize each other. I guess they don't see any benefit to having long-term tenants. This clause is supposed to benefit both the lessors and lessee over long-term.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
You have every right to be a salon and offer daycare on the side.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote