REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #51
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Why not post here for future reference?
I am now in contact with Frost91 and hopefully with his advices I can resolve the issue once and for all.

I guess there are alot of grey areas in this whole Residential Tenancy matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Always take a cash deposit. Did the contract say who was paying for hydro?
Yes, in retrospect, a cash deposit makes alot more sense. The contract states that the tenant is responsible for the utilities.
Advertisement
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #52
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
came into this thread expecting some Anthony Espinosa level scammer
was not disappointed.

In for frost91's advice. My parents are thinking about renting their basement suite, that info would be valuable just in case things go sideways.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #53
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

i didn't want to post in this thread for future references because of the fact that its not quite "legal". but a few things i can say are is that you want to be as nice as possible in the eviction process until its time to drop the hammer and evict them.

also when you calculate money owed, you have to calculate future money owed and put that into account as well.
frost91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #54
nma
#RVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Why not post here for future reference?
probably because it's in the grey area lol
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #55
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Since she's 80 it probably wouldn't be overly effective, but for a younger person Id probably just tell them that I'm going to do everything in my power to run your name into the fucking ground.

After taking pics of the person just build a website displaying their picture telling the story, go on all avenues like Craigslist etc post the same thing. Wouldn't be opposed to start posting posters around the neighborhood even so they see them.
Yea, good advice. I'm sure these kinds of people are so concerned about their "good name" and reputation. There are always going to be victims and scammers out there. Yes, putting the scammer on blast will minimize the amount of victims out there but there will still be suckers out there getting scammed by these people.

A young person in this situation where they're desperate enough to scam a person by squatting in their home won't care about what you have to say about them or what the public has to say about them. ALL they care about is the free shelter over their heads.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #56
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Sounds like you got hit by a squatter.. every landlord's worst nightmare.

They know how to play the game, and they just jump from place to place for a few months here and there, knowing it takes time for the landlords to get all the legal work done to evict them. Not to mention you can't legally cut off their power, etc.

My uncle's been hit by one of these guys before too, and it's just a big headache. They didn't get him out for 6+ months.

Hope you can get this resolved soon.
Why not? Just call hydro and say you rented the place and no longer wants to pay. I am not living there so I ain't paying for it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #57

i had a squatter steal electricity from the neighbor before because i turned off their power lol
Old 04-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #58
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Since she's 80 it probably wouldn't be overly effective, but for a younger person Id probably just tell them that I'm going to do everything in my power to run your name into the fucking ground.

After taking pics of the person just build a website displaying their picture telling the story, go on all avenues like Craigslist etc post the same thing. Wouldn't be opposed to start posting posters around the neighborhood even so they see them.
sounds like the most immature thing to do...

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:10 PM   #59
I don't get it

After not paying and still living in my property? I'm going to get her out 1 way or another, today.
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:02 AM   #60

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Just curious...
Do landlords have the keys to the rented property?
Do landlords have to pay for hydro if the renter doesn't?
Do landlords write their own agreements and have to abide by rules on how to write them? Can't they write, if rent is not pay, rent will be evicted immediately? (Meaning someone will go into the house and get throw her shit outside)

Other than that, my only advice is invite your friends over, especially ones that like to party and such, and just party there as many nights as they can.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #61
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Doing credit checks introduces more liability for the landlord and in general are useless.
pengu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #62
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Just curious...
Do landlords have the keys to the rented property?
Do landlords have to pay for hydro if the renter doesn't?
Do landlords write their own agreements and have to abide by rules on how to write them? Can't they write, if rent is not pay, rent will be evicted immediately? (Meaning someone will go into the house and get throw her shit outside)

Other than that, my only advice is invite your friends over, especially ones that like to party and such, and just party there as many nights as they can.
I am no expert but have been renting 2 units since 2011. First time renting a unit I received a fake reference letter. They turned into a squatter who eventually stopped paying and left without proper notice. Left the door propped open with a coat hanger jammed under the door and did not return any keys, parking garage fob, etc. Luckily there was almost no damage.

Yes landlords have keys to the property.

Not from my experience when a squatter did not pay BC Hydro.

Landlords can write their own addendums to attach to the standard BC rental agreement. However the Residential Tenancy Act (RTA) supersedes. So if you write "Tenant will be evicted one day after non-payment of rent" you must still follow the RTA and deliver a 10 Day Notice to End Tenancy for Unpaid Rent. (btw it is another 3 days before it is deemed delievered so a tenant actually gets 13 days total.)

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/DownloadAs...8C2C1F0A941D9B

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #63
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Why not? Just call hydro and say you rented the place and no longer wants to pay. I am not living there so I ain't paying for it.
Whether the landlord's living there or not, it's the landlord's responsibility -- unless there were additional, official formal agreements signed. Which, in most cases today, there aren't.

Also.. if you as the landlord make the place inhabitable for the tenant, (which is, believe it or not, actually illegal -- known as Constructive Eviction) the tenant has a case to fight back in court, even sue you. This could toss you into an even bigger mess than if you just did it by the books.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #64

Update on the situation:

-After the whole situation is over, I will summarize some strong points and what to watch out for landlords, for future reference.

-Anyone who's interested in Frost91's input can PM him fore info. Do note though, because the Canadian laws that surrounds tenancy governing is complete sht, there are certain steps to take yourself to protect yourself better.

-Confronted the scammer lady, gave her the eviction letter and all the proper papers.

-Gave her until this Saturday to move her sht out and gtfo.

-After she is kicked out, need to go through the process to obtain the Order Of Possession and recover the payments that had never materialized

-Thank-you for the invaluable info shared in this thread by the RS community, I will update when I can and if mods will allow... I will post info on the scammer, so that potential landlords can be on the watch-out.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #65
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
What was her reaction when you gave her the papers and until sat to move out?
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
Update on the situation:

-Confronted the scammer lady, gave her the eviction letter and all the proper papers.

-After she is kicked out, need to go through the process to obtain the Order Of Possession and recover the payments that had never materialized
Yea, I dunno...A "squatter" doesn't leave after you give them an eviction notice. They will know that they have a decent amount of time between the date of eviction and the time it takes to get a legal judgement against them. I'm a little confused though because I thought you had already given the pay or vacate and eviction notices earlier.

I doubt she will be gone by this Saturday. You'll need an order against her regardless so I would've already submitted/made a claim there if I were you.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
What was her reaction when you gave her the papers and until sat to move out?
-It was a real messed up situation, knocked on the door, and she acted all shady. Her grown son was near by as well.

-she acted all apologetic and nodded when told that she needs to move all her things out asap by Saturday.

-with her being 80 years old and experienced with scamming, everything points her reaction as fake and putting-on-a-show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Yea, I dunno...A "squatter" doesn't leave after you give them an eviction notice. They will know that they have a decent amount of time between the date of eviction and the time it takes to get a legal judgement against them. I'm a little confused though because I thought you had already given the pay or vacate and eviction notices earlier.

I doubt she will be gone by this Saturday. You'll need an order against her regardless so I would've already submitted/made a claim there if I were you.
-I may have confused things a bit, but getting hold of her earlier in the week and serving her the papers was similar to playing hide-and-seek.

-This time around, everything was documented digitally too (audio,etc)

-you make a good point and it's what I suspect as well, being who she is, I think she is going to bs around and not leave until much much later.

-related to the point above...
-->when previously approached for new cheques after the previous ones bounced, she asked for extra time
-->5 days later, she asks for another week
-->a week later, she says she cannot pay-up, has no money!
-->so getting her to gtfo will be hard
-->a bailiff may be able to evict her with force, but it's a long trail of paperworks before that can happen
Old 04-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #68
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
stay strong. and keep us posted.

it sounds like you are almost half way there.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #69
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

this country is going downhill fast.. 80 year old women scamming landlords.. wow I don't even know to laugh or feel sorry. if someone told me this story i wouldn't have believed it. Im outta here. gonna short my canadian assets and i'll be gone.

so long canada
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #70
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
this country is going downhill fast.. 80 year old women scamming landlords.. wow I don't even know to laugh or feel sorry. if someone told me this story i wouldn't have believed it. Im outta here. gonna short my canadian assets and i'll be gone.

so long canada
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2015, 02:22 AM   #71
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:

so long canada
You should go live somewhere else in the world because there's no scammers anywhere else except in Canada. True story because I heard it from a Nigerian guy.
MTV Cribs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #72

- if shes out you don't need to obtain order of possession anymore, just swap the locks in case she made copies of the keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
Update on the situation:

-After the whole situation is over, I will summarize some strong points and what to watch out for landlords, for future reference.

-Anyone who's interested in Frost91's input can PM him fore info. Do note though, because the Canadian laws that surrounds tenancy governing is complete sht, there are certain steps to take yourself to protect yourself better.

-Thank-you for the invaluable info shared in this thread by the RS community, I will update when I can and if mods will allow... I will post info on the scammer, so that potential landlords can be on the watch-out.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #73
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frost91 View Post
- if shes out you don't need to obtain order of possession anymore, just swap the locks in case she made copies of the keys.
And install alarm and wire to alarm company as well. They might try to come back and rob you.

I have to kick a tenant out too once. It wasn't pretty and she was crying when she was leaving but think of it this way. They cost you months of income, cost you your time, give you stress and top it off they will just go scam another person. Once you think about that you won't feel sorry or bad.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #74

Quote:

so long canada
Ya, after I heard about this 80 year old scammer, I decided to move out of this country too! What an outrage!

People around the world are seeking refuge status, running away from their homes in fear of their LIVES, and you are sitting here crying about how bad our country is because we have tenants who are freeloading. Get a life lol.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #75

your 80 year old squatter is not bad compared to the new wave of alcoholic, drug abusing, Uganda refugee seeking immigrants I've had to deal with in the last 6 months.

worst ever. lol