REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   misleading job pay ad (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702966-misleading-job-pay-ad.html)

mustang766 04-20-2015 08:07 PM

misleading job pay ad

went to interview and got call for job offer doing marketing assistant work. the job ad noted it pays 15 hour but I got job offer call and he said he like hire me but 12 hour.it didn't say 12-15 but just 15. The thing is I can do everything the job description noted and plus I got a diploma in business from local college.
is this legal and what would you do. take up the job or ask for the hourly wage noted or ask for more money. the location of the job would take me approx. one hour to get there ,and 3 transfers via bus , skytrain and bus

he did say the job be re-locating to more central location in few months but who nows as he lied in job ad will be lie about relocation too.maybe there will be no relocation

kross9 04-20-2015 08:19 PM

completely legal. tbh they can pay you what ever they feel you are worth, which is probably what they did. Or it could also be that you start at 12$/hr for your probationary period too

another thing during the job offer interview is your pay rate they will low ball you and hope you say yes as well w.o saying you want more. which is again another thing they did to you.

SkinnyPupp 04-20-2015 08:33 PM

Tell them you want $15 and won't work for less

tiger_handheld 04-20-2015 09:13 PM

Why don't you ask the following question

"your ad said $15/hr but your offer letter say 12/hr. why the discrepency?"

mustang766 04-20-2015 09:24 PM

They also.new startup company with like 5 employees im.guess not much growth

sdubfid 04-20-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang766 (Post 8626897)
They also.new startup company with like 5 employees im.guess not much growth

could be the next goggle, tell him you want shares and $12

Jmac 04-20-2015 09:34 PM

From what you say, they sound shady as hell and they're dicking you around before you've set foot in their company. Would probably just say thanks but no thanks unless you're desperate.

Drive_all_night 04-21-2015 12:53 PM

Perhaps $12/hour is how well you handled yourself in the interview?
And isn't 5 employees in less than a year fairly decent?
I'm sure you can also ask for proof as to whether they are relocating or not

t-o-o-MUCH 04-21-2015 01:32 PM

Well you are in marketing..

How do you expect to sell your marketing campaign to customers, if you cant sell yourself?

Give them reasons as to why you would be WORTH $15/hr.

Complaining wont get you anywhere, and would probably make it worse.

pengu 04-21-2015 02:12 PM

How can you live on less than 18/hr? Is $12-15 really what they really make? seems low especially in Vancouver.

mustang766 04-22-2015 08:28 PM

He calls me back 4 days later explaining how ad said 15 but offer me 12 and how the 12 hour just probation . How can one make 3 dollar extra in 2 month probation. No employer does that.lol ontop it's startup company to

radioman 04-22-2015 08:33 PM

So are you taking the job?!? I'm so excited to see you start working soon!

GLOW 04-22-2015 09:24 PM

it's not out of the ordinary to be at a lower salary while on probation. i've had jobs like that. i honestly thought though being you, you talked yourself out of $3/hr :lawl:

heleu 04-23-2015 09:19 AM

The low pay for entry-level marketing jobs unfortunately is pretty consistent.
There's just way too many people with marketing degrees/diplomas/certificates and they are all applying for the same jobs.

I know of 3 people personally that didn't even get paid minimum wage (they were considered interns) in marketing positions. They all had university level marketing degrees.

It's shocking really, but hey, supply and demand, right? We pay our coop students at my company more than what a new university marketing grad would make.

maxxxboost 04-23-2015 09:33 AM

I would be more worried about getting work experience then pay. If you have a diploma and have been out of work for awhile companies may look at new graduates instead. IMO get experience and worry about pay later. If it really comes down to it, just quit when you find something better.

Drive_all_night 04-23-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxxxboost (Post 8628186)
I would be more worried about getting work experience then pay. If you have a diploma and have been out of work for awhile companies may look at new graduates instead. IMO get experience and worry about pay later. If it really comes down to it, just quit when you find something better.

lol hate to be an a-hole but if this guy really had a diploma, would he have been out of work for awhile? Shouldn't he at least have something business or marketing related? He doesn't even have proper English for goodness sake.

And totally agree with maxxboost, especially being a start up, I'm surprised they didn't go with a new grad with up to date marketing/business credentials.

It kinda sounds like you're fortunate to even have an offer right now...so quit bitchin.