REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Underground Restaurants of Vancouver

Has anyone eaten at an Underground restaurant in Vancouver? if so, how was it? I'd like to hear about your experiences, as I am intrigued with this idea.

I only know of this one in Van, are there others?

Also, if you're gonna openly criticize about this business model and its legality, please save it for another thread. Thanks!
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I've only ever attended on of these so this may be a bias opinion based off of my experience. Both myself and the GF personally really did not enjoy it. The venue ended up being at the hosts apartment and was way to small to be hosting a group of 10 so it was very stuffy and was not a nice environment as all the smoke from the kitchen had to pass through the living room in order to vent out the windows. I had to leave several times that evening to go out for a walk to cool off. We found the food was way over salted and things we nothing special. Nothing we could not have made at home, most likely even better. We didn't end up finished most of our food due to it being too salty. I love salty foods but it was just way too much for us. Felt worse that drinking a whole bowl of MSG Pho soup after a heavy night of drinking. We did enjoy the mingling of strangers and meeting new people, hearing stories and what not. There was great hype but we were extremely disappointed.

Others found it amazing. Guess it comes down to personal taste, culinary knowledge or what you are looking food
Eternal_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
can the resident chef's do this and invite the RS folk.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
The only "underground" place i've been to was unappealing.
It was literally an unfinished basement with cats in the kitchen and what looks to be a junk fire in the backyard. The hood fan wasn't working so everything was smoky and stuffy until we opened all the windows. The food didn't even come out until it was past 11pm...

i could go on..
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Also, if you're gonna openly criticize about this business model and its legality, please save it for another thread. Thanks!
nice thread idea! I've only heard about a couple of these chef-at-home type places, however I think there is merit to discussing this -- it's like asking about "underground TV's for sale" or "underground dentistry" ... means it's probably not the most legal thing.

btw from the link that you posted, the food at that place doesn't look very good at all. And from the previous posters experiences ... sure seems like the general consensus is that it's not that good at whatever place they went as well ...

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
wow, that link does look like crap.
1) the menu doesn't look appealing at all.
1-2 word description of each dish. Menu sounds so so so dull.
2) the food.... damn.... doesn't look appealing at all. Plating itself needs a lot of work,
3) i do like how "homey" it feels so props for that.

Van is a very tough crowd, good luck with bird's nest.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #7
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

No Fixed Address
Old 04-29-2015, 11:08 PM   #8
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

nothing about this appeals to me. are there so few restaurants that we have to eat in some dudes house. i mean wtf hipster foodies. wtf.

all these amazing chefs who can't/won't get a job or start their own shit like everyone else? would you buy food from the trunk of some guy's car? because that's pretty much what you're doing.

i just don't get this at all. i mean fuck what about sanitary concerns? mofos bitch about hole in the wall places but you'll eat in an unlicensed illegal establishment?

i just feel like you're a pretentious douche if your culinary experience needs to go to a strangers illegal "underground" restaurant. you can get food poisoning at an actual restaurant. i mean do we really have to go through the nightmare that could occur at some dudes house. i'm completely baffled right now. this is fucking stupid.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:23 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veleno View Post
i dont mind trying out at this guy place, that pork, its mouth watering.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #10
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Only place I would eat at is Culverin's
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: