REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Buying a Gift Card with Large Amount (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703150-buying-gift-card-large-amount.html)

und3f3at3d 04-30-2015 04:00 PM

Buying a Gift Card with Large Amount

Im gonna meet someone to buy a a gift card/store credit for a relatively large amount, roughly $2500 or so. What are some precautions I should take to know that I dont get screwed over? Besides from the usual verify the balance at the cashier? Thanks!

meme405 04-30-2015 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by und3f3at3d (Post 8631562)
Im gonna meet someone to buy a a gift card/store credit for a relatively large amount, roughly $2500 or so. What are some precautions I should take to know that I dont get screwed over? Besides from the usual verify the balance at the cashier? Thanks!

There was a big scam awhile ago where people would buy gift cards with stolen credit cards, then sell them on CL. Then when the transaction was found to be fraudulent the gift card would be cancelled.

I'd be very careful doing something like this, there are many ways you can get duped.

freakshow 04-30-2015 04:02 PM

Make sure the PIN isn't scratched off on the back of the GC. Or you can get them to transfer the amount to a brand new GC right at the till.. that should be pretty safe.

dlo 04-30-2015 04:05 PM

transfer it to store credit after verifying that its real

v_tec 04-30-2015 05:10 PM

Curious, which store' GC are you buying?

parm104 04-30-2015 05:12 PM

ONLY buy the gift card at the store and make sure the amount is confirmed in store by customer service. If not, DO NOT BUY. I would also be prepared to make my purchase then and there that way nothing can go wrong down the road after you buy the gift card.

tiger_handheld 04-30-2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 8631582)
ONLY buy the gift card at the store and make sure the amount is confirmed in store by customer service. If not, DO NOT BUY. I would also be prepared to make my purchase then and there that way nothing can go wrong down the road after you buy the gift card.

+1
I would go as far as buying something completely random and then go back to the store a couple of days later to return and get the credit on a "fresh giftcard"

StylinRed 04-30-2015 05:33 PM

sounds like a scam already...

AzNightmare 04-30-2015 05:42 PM

If you do the things suggested above. You should be good to go.
I suggest telling the seller you will be doing these things said above. So that if seller declines, then you know it's a scam right away and you can save your time by not meeting up.

wingies 04-30-2015 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8631591)
sounds like a scam already...

What sounds like a scam? Lol that he's buying a gift card?

murd0c 04-30-2015 05:59 PM

the big question is where did you find this guy thats selling the gift card? CL, internet a friend?

van19 04-30-2015 06:08 PM

Buy whatever you're buying with them there using the gift card right away. Or transfer the gift card to a new one.

StylinRed 04-30-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingies (Post 8631599)
What sounds like a scam? Lol that he's buying a gift card?

buying a $2500 gift card 2nd hand

T4RAWR 04-30-2015 07:13 PM

those gift cards are usually purchased using stolen credit card info and then flipped to people like you who exchange legitimately earned cash.

i would be hesitant to purchase that large of an amount on a gc especially if it seems to be "too good to be true".

update us here if you do go through with the purchase.

und3f3at3d 04-30-2015 07:24 PM

I will meet him tomorrow, its a Lowe's GC. He said he got it when he had leftovers from his renovation project and they issued store credit for like 2932.43. Some odd number

I'll probably gather everything I need to buy and wait on standby besides the cashier or self cehckout hahah

ziggyx 04-30-2015 07:32 PM

^ That doesn't sound too suspicious. I used to work returns at Rona long long time ago and it happens quite often. Although the amount is fairly large.

If you don't plan on buying everything then and there, you can try asking him to provide a receipt for the GC. If what he's saying is true, he might have a receipt showing the returned items from his renovation and the store issuing him GC. That way you can tell the GC wasn't bought with a credit card or possibly a stolen credit card.

meme405 04-30-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggyx (Post 8631658)
^ That doesn't sound too suspicious. I used to work returns at Rona long long time ago and it happens quite often. Although the amount is fairly large.

If you don't plan on buying everything then and there, you can try asking him to provide a receipt for the GC. If what he's saying is true, he might have a receipt showing the returned items from his renovation and the store issuing him GC. That way you can tell the GC wasn't bought with a credit card or possibly a stolen credit card.

Doesn't sound suspicious. really?

What the fuck could he have bought 2900 dollars worth of that he didn't need. You can't possibly have bought 2900 dollars worth of extra lumber unless you are a complete and utter idiot.

Tiles? Grout? 10 extra toilets? 6 extra kitchen faucets?

Returning 2900 dollars worth of stuff to Lowes is like impossible unless he bought like appliances...

SkinnyPupp 04-30-2015 08:05 PM

The only situation where I would even consider doing this is from someone I 100% completely trust, and I know where it came from (ie they weren't scammed themselves and are unwittingly passing it on). It is so unbelievably scammy to sell gift cards second hand.

ziggyx 04-30-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8631674)
Doesn't sound suspicious. really?

What the fuck could he have bought 2900 dollars worth of that he didn't need. You can't possibly have bought 2900 dollars worth of extra lumber unless you are a complete and utter idiot.

Tiles? Grout? 10 extra toilets? 6 extra kitchen faucets?

Returning 2900 dollars worth of stuff to Lowes is like impossible unless he bought like appliances...

I meant the story sounding reasonable, in terms of having stuff to return due to renovations. I did say the amount was fairly large and said he can double check the validity of the seller's story by checking receipts of returned items and the store issuing a GC for the returned items.

A person doing a renovation can return a large priced item(s) that they did not want because they changed their mind through out the renovation. You even said it yourself.. appliances. These stores do carry a lot of other expensive items and it's not that unusual.

It's also pretty common for people doing renos to return items all at once if possible rather than doing multiple short trips to return 1 or 2 items. So it is possible that it can add up with expensive items.

Razor Ramon HG 04-30-2015 09:37 PM

I'd get a copy of his driver's license to be safe.

$2500 ain't nothing to joke about.