REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Legal to take a right turn into the left lane?

Like the topic says, I am wondering whether or not it is legal to turn right at an intersection, into the left lane.

I am currently teaching my wife to drive, and it is very frustrating when she has to take a right followed by a quick left, but has to change lanes first, because every other driver on the road goes directly into the left lane.

My understanding was that it's illegal, but I can't find anything definitive, so I'm wondering if I'm wrong. It would certainly be a whole lot easier, as we have had to miss some intersections where she couldn't get over in time.

Here is a diagram of what I am talking about, if there is any doubt.

Advertisement
Old 05-11-2015, 07:26 AM   #2

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
I believe it is illegal and if a cop was behind you and you turned directly into the left lane (instead of the right lane), you're likely to get a "incorrect lane change ticket" ?

However like you mentioned, most/everyone nowadays just turns directly into the left rather than turn into the right, then lane change into the left.

Would also like to get a definite answer on this as well
Old 05-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
The ICBC book says that right to right and left to left.

I would not question the book until she passes the exam.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
always turn into the immediate right lane, then merge/change lanes as needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Same with turning left you are supposed to turn into the left lane. If you make a wide turn and turn into the lane further away and hit someone you will be at fault...

That being said how the hell are you driving and have to ask this question??? I find is scary that people don't know basic traffic rules like this..
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The flow of traffic would be way better if everyone followed this!
Flatsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Same with turning left you are supposed to turn into the left lane. If you make a wide turn and turn into the lane further away and hit someone you will be at fault...

That being said how the hell are you driving and have to ask this question??? I find is scary that people don't know basic traffic rules like this..
for fucking real.

luckily for us he's teaching his wife to drive. who can't handle a lane change after a turn.

i'll suck my own dick on camera if this guy knows what "right of way" is

this is an acceptable question from a 15 year old learning to drive. not from a licensed driver.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Turning at intersections
165 (1) If the driver of a vehicle intends to turn it to the right at an intersection, the driver must cause it to approach the intersection and then make the turn as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(2) When the driver of a vehicle intends to turn it to the left at an intersection where traffic is permitted to move in both directions on each highway entering the intersection, the driver must

(a) cause the vehicle to approach the intersection in the portion of the right side of the roadway that is nearest the marked centre line, or if there is no marked centre line, then as far as practicable in the portion of the right half of the roadway that is nearest the centre line,

(b) keep the vehicle to the right of the marked centre line or centre line of the roadway, as the case may be, at the place the highway enters the intersection,

(c) after entering the intersection, turn the vehicle to the left so that it leaves the intersection to the right of the marked centre line of the roadway being entered, or if there is no marked centre line then to the right of the centre line of the roadway being entered, and,

(d) when practicable, turn the vehicle in the portion of the intersection to the left of the centre of the intersection.

(3) When the driver of a vehicle intends to turn the vehicle left at an intersection where traffic is restricted to one direction on one or more of the highways, the driver must cause the vehicle to approach the intersection in the extreme left hand lane available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle, and after entering the intersection turn the vehicle to the left so as to leave the intersection as nearly as practicable in the left hand lane available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle on the highway being entered.

(4) If at an intersection there is a traffic control device indicating the course to be travelled by vehicles turning at the intersection, a driver must turn a vehicle at the intersection in the manner directed by the traffic control device.

(5) A person must not turn a vehicle at an intersection unless it is in the position on the highway required by this section.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
In RS I Trust

The worst part is in the learners book it answers this question....

for the life of me I don't understand how someone could teach another person how to drive when they don't know the rules of the road them selves...
Old 05-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
for the life of me I don't understand how someone could teach another person how to drive when they don't know the rules of the road them selves...
That's half the problem with the GLP - parents who learned to drive 20+ years ago to a much lower standard are teaching their kids now.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

If only everyone followed this. When I turn right while the left turn signal is on, I find it funny how some people get very annoyed that I turn. I know for a fact that they wanted to turn straight into the right lane cause after I turn, I see them flinch and they'll gun it to get in front of me as if they are mad at me for doing a legal turn, thus forcing them to do their turn legally too. Talking about 54th and Victoria specifically but it happens everywhere.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #12
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
If only everyone followed this. When I turn right while the left turn signal is on, I find it funny how some people get very annoyed that I turn. I know for a fact that they wanted to turn straight into the right lane cause after I turn, I see them flinch and they'll gun it to get in front of me as if they are mad at me for doing a legal turn, thus forcing them to do their turn legally too. Talking about 54th and Victoria specifically but it happens everywhere.
I always do that and I really enjoy it, I give my self enough room so I don't get hit but still. I want someone to hit me one of these days and freak out how I pulled out.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
That's half the problem with the GLP - parents who learned to drive 20+ years ago to a much lower standard are teaching their kids now.
Actually, this was in the book 20 years ago too and the people who got their licenses then, who are teaching their kids to drive now, are more inclined to be more strict after observing shit drivers for the last 2 decades.

What should be of real concern is newer immigrants that can get their license here, rarely drive and then have the legal authority to "teach" others.

Case in point:
Kianna Moreau, B.C. girl hit by driver, remembered at candlelight vigil - British Columbia - CBC News

Quote:
They say the driver, a woman in her 40s who was just learning to drive, lost control of a Honda CRV

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Derp. Someone already answered.

Last edited by Mikoyan; 05-11-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
This was a discussion about a year ago with Spidey in the shitty drivers forum. The MVA doesn't specify that you have to turn into the leftmost lane when turning from a 2 way to 2 way street. Only that you exit the intersection to the right of the centre line. (Basically, don't drive into oncoming traffic.) The exception would be if they painted the turning curve like 57th and Knight.
Only when turning left to or from an one way street you must turn into the leftmost lane.

That being said, a wide left turn would still be wrong as an improper lane change or something else.

I'm with you though, I've seen wide left turners lose their shit because I made a right turn into the curbmost lane, forcing them to lane change properly.

Last edited by Mikoyan; 05-11-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Talking about 54th and Victoria specifically but it happens everywhere.
Quote:
I always do that and I really enjoy it, I give my self enough room so I don't get hit but still. I want someone to hit me one of these days and freak out how I pulled out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
The exception would be if they painted the turning curve like 57th and Knight.

I'm with you though, I've seen wide left turners lose their shit because I made a right turn into the curbmost lane, forcing them to lane change properly.
They need to paint that fucking line at the intersection of Bridgeport & Viking Way. So the fucking asshats on Viking Way Northbound don't turn into the curb lane and force out the Southbound right turners..

I also hate how they are in the wrong, and have the nerve to yell, swear and honk at you. Been so close to getting out of the car afew times.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #17
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
They need to paint that fucking line at the intersection of Bridgeport & Viking Way. So the fucking asshats on Viking Way Northbound don't turn into the curb lane and force out the Southbound right turners..

I also hate how they are in the wrong, and have the nerve to yell, swear and honk at you. Been so close to getting out of the car afew times.
Ahh...yes. I remember another place this happens a lot at. Sweden Way and Bridgeport. I turn right onto Bridgeport, but the people turning left from the Southbound side like to turn into the right lane cause they want to get onto Knight. I've had several close calls there when someone does a wide turn to try to get into the rightmost lane so they don't need to merge to exit onto Knight Street.
This sometimes is also due to those inconsiderate drivers who see you signal a lane change and purposely don't let you in, thus forcing those left turners in their mind to believe they have to turn all the way into the right lane and not have to deal with trying to lane change later on.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Quote:
Ahh...yes. I remember another place this happens a lot at. Sweden Way and Bridgeport.
Contact the city and make the suggestion. I called the city of Vancouver about Boundary and Canada Way after I was nearly sideswiped twice in a week there. The engineering department got back to me and agreed it was needed. Since all it cost was the time and paint, they put in the painted line about 3 weeks later.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
How do you lose control of a Honda CR-V?

RIP little girl
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:51 AM   #20
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
That's main the problem with the GLP - parents who learned to drive 20+ years ago with 20+ years of bad habits and improper driving are teaching their kids now.
I have slightly modified your quote.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:02 AM   #21
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
I'm wondering if said Wife has even read the book.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote