REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntunnels View Post
well, seems like we couldn't swing any discount for having licenses (from the USA) for more than 20 years as neither of us were insured for the majority of that time. Last time I was insured was for a year in 1996-7, and i have no records to show that. Ended up having to pay $179/mo for basic liability. I guess that's just part of the cost of living in BC....
I hope you didn't just buy basic!
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #27
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
^ Try getting insurance for new drivers in Ontario.

To be fair, I'd say the only major difference between BC and Ontario auto insurance is, you need to cross shop with a shxtload of insurance providers to make sure you aren't getting ripped off. And good luck trying to insure anything that is even slightly modified.

I obviously don't have intimate knowledge of how auto insurance works across Canada, but IMO, the Ontario system has to be the absolute worst in the country, both in terms of troublesome and cost. I know ICBC has its gargantuan share of problems, but in comparison to Ontario, we have it easy...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #28
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntunnels View Post
well, seems like we couldn't swing any discount for having licenses (from the USA) for more than 20 years as neither of us were insured for the majority of that time. Last time I was insured was for a year in 1996-7, and i have no records to show that. Ended up having to pay $179/mo for basic liability. I guess that's just part of the cost of living in BC....
$179 per month really sounds like it is just basic liability -- $500k, IIRC. When I was renewing, my agent told me that they typically recommend $3M liability now.

I guess that's how much a typical Richmond C9 will sue you for when you ding their Land Rover?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #29
RS Lurker, I don't post!

179 is $2M liability, so its a step above basic.
suntunnels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #30
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I just bought and registered a used car also in BC and am also relatively new to BC (originally from Australia, got my BC licence end of last year).

This was what I was told when I went to register and buy insurance:

For the compulsory ICBC third party liability (only up to $200,000):
- For new to BC drivers they can recognise up to 8 years of no-claim time in your previous province or country of residence. You get 5% discount per year, up to 40%. They don't care about any driving history earlier than 8 years ago, eg you could have had a claim 9 years ago and it won't affect your discount. You need to have either of had an insurance policy in your name or be a named driver on a policy in order to get the discount, and you need to provide a letter from your old insurance company. You have up to six months to provide this letter, and they will backdate and refund your discount. It's easiest though if you have the letter already when you go to buy your insurance - so if you're contemplating buying a car, contact your old insurance company and get it ready.

For additional optional coverage (collision, comprehensive, extra liability) it depends on the insurance company. For ICBC you can get a discount for no-claim history of up to 8 years (like above) and there is also an additional discount if all drivers have 10+ years of holding a driver's licence. They didn't ask me for any proof that I had a licence for 10+ years, they just asked me and took my word for it. Make sure you ask for the 10+ licence holder discount - the first time I went in for a quote no-one told me about it and only the second time when I was buying and asked what ways I could make it cheaper, was I asked if I had been driving for more than 10 years.

When I looked at other private companies for my optional insurance, it seemed that in general for "new to BC" drivers the rates were much more expensive privately compared with the ICBC rates.

Hope this helps someone
toto0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: