REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

ICBC discounts for drivers new to BC

I'm trying to sort out the situation on getting a discount for insurance as a new to BC driver. We're from the USA, but have not owned cars for a LONG time, so this have not had any insurance. However we've both been licensed for many years. It seems kind of crazy to me that that doesn't count for at least one or two levels of discount? Seeing as how one can get discounts for every year licensed in BC? But maybe I am just SOL here and need to suck it up and pay the base rate.

On a related note, we have had licenses in BC since last August, but we've not owned a car until now. Since the ICBC insurance terms are for one year, does this mean we won't get the one year discount until one year from now, or would we get a discount in August one our BC licenses have been valid for one year?

thanks
Advertisement
suntunnels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Your discount level changes based on your license, not insurance.

Your best course of action to determine if any of your US driving experience can be applied to BC, is to call ICBC directly.

Quote:
B.C., Canada and the U.S.
1-800-663-3051

Lower Mainland
604-661-2800

Monday to Friday
8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Saturday
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntunnels View Post
I'm trying to sort out the situation on getting a discount for insurance as a new to BC driver. We're from the USA, but have not owned cars for a LONG time, so this have not had any insurance. However we've both been licensed for many years. It seems kind of crazy to me that that doesn't count for at least one or two levels of discount? Seeing as how one can get discounts for every year licensed in BC? But maybe I am just SOL here and need to suck it up and pay the base rate.

On a related note, we have had licenses in BC since last August, but we've not owned a car until now. Since the ICBC insurance terms are for one year, does this mean we won't get the one year discount until one year from now, or would we get a discount in August one our BC licenses have been valid for one year?

thanks
I can't speak on how your situation will be worked out by ICBC, but speaking broadly:

The system is a bit screwed up here in BC even for residents, if you have your license for 10 years, but don't own a car they give you the discount as if you have been driving around without an accident for 10 years.

Let that sink in for a moment; you havn't owned a car or registered a car in your name for 10 years, yet they use that period of inactivity as if you are such an amazing person that you didn't get into an accident.

Of course you didnt get into an accident during that period, chances are you weren't driving around very much considering you don't own a fucking car.

I think it makes much more sense to give people a discount based on how many years they actually paid for insurance and didn't get into an accident. Or at the very least how many years you were listed as a driver on someones insurance.

Just giving people discounts because they had a drivers license is ridiculous, having a drivers license for a long period of time has no bearing on being a safe driver. Actually being a safe driver has everything to do with being a safe driver.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
should be mandatory road test every 2 years for people under 20, and over 60.

every 5 years in between.

will it help? probably not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
if moving from the US is anything like moving from another province, in order to get any discount you need to prove you've been driving for X years. in order to do that, you need to get your insurance history from your past location. it sucks but it makes sense.

when my family moved back to BC my dad & sister got their discounts b/c both of them had their own cars and insurance for years and had paperwork to prove it. i had a license but no car/insurance under my name so no discount for me. however once i switched over to a BC license i built up my discount even without owning/insuring a car

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #6

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post

Realistically they need to stop accepting foreign drivers licenses before they can even consider re-examinations.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

If you get your license at 16 and don't get into an at-fault accident, your discount will be maxed out at age 36. Say the average guy will drive til he's at least 65 or so. So for 30+ years, in respect to effecting insurance cost, there's no incentive to avoid getting into an accident. For those that have a car insured under their name and are accident free, the discounts should continue to go up, indefinitely.

~end rant

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2015, 08:33 AM   #8
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
You should get your 1 year discount in August, but really you should just talk to a broker or call ICBC.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
I'm invisible

If you were from the US, and currently living in BC, and you currently have and held an active BCDL, you will be probably entitled to -1(5%) in august.

As for as I know, if you coming from outside of BC (except in SK or in MB), you will need claims history letter from your previous insurance companies to show you had coverage in the last 8 years prior to coming to BC.

If your from SK or MB, they work like BC (government owned insurance) and we will take driver's abstract and claims letters.

Last edited by Edison_Chen; 05-13-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
If you get your license at 16 and don't get into an at-fault accident, your discount will be maxed out at age 36.
Huh? Why would it take that long? If you are accident free, you get a 5% discount every year, with basic insurance maxing out at 43% in year 9. And then you get the 10 year driver experience discount afterwards. So you should only be 26 by the time you get your maximum discount.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Huh? Why would it take that long? If you are accident free, you get a 5% discount every year, with basic insurance maxing out at 43% in year 9. And then you get the 10 year driver experience discount afterwards. So you should only be 26 by the time you get your maximum discount.
43% on basic insurance, yes, but you get a higher discount on optional coverage until -20 CRS.

RSUV #7
Old 05-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #12
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
43% on basic insurance, yes, but you get a higher discount on optional coverage until -20 CRS.
Hmm... Are you certain about that? I thought we are also entitled to 5% annual discounts on optional insurance as well, up to a max of 43% discount. I thought the CRS stuff is only used to determine how many steps you get sent back in the event of an accident.

But honestly, I am not 100% certain myself, and I can't seem to find any info about optional insurance discount percentages on ICBC's website.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
you're correct. i had one at fault accident when i was 18 and last year i turned 28 and got the maximum discount. 43%, roadstar and the 10 year driver experience discount.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #14
I'm invisible

As per ICBC website, you cap out (maximum) at -20(43%). There are minimum premium differences between ie: level -9(43%) vs -10(43%). There is a behind the scenes additional discount on top of the optional. Its really easy to find out, just ask the insurance broker to do a crs quote between a -9 and -10 with optional ICBC coverage.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #15
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post

Under 20 is useless as you get your L at 16. Then if all goes well, you will have two road tests until your Class 5 anyways.

I would make it every 2 yrs for those under 25, or...even say, 30. I'm sure ICBC has the statistics out there in terms of age vs. accidents.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Hmm... Are you certain about that? I thought we are also entitled to 5% annual discounts on optional insurance as well, up to a max of 43% discount. I thought the CRS stuff is only used to determine how many steps you get sent back in the event of an accident.

But honestly, I am not 100% certain myself, and I can't seem to find any info about optional insurance discount percentages on ICBC's website.
Yes, I'm sure that after 43% (CRS -9), you continue to get additional discounts on optional coverage until CRS -20. The difference might be very small but they're still discounts. There's also the advantage of moving back fewer steps to get back to your CRS level, should you make an at-fault claim.
http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/costs/Documents/crs.pdf

That aside, my point is that there's no incentive for good drivers after CRS -20. At the very least, after you max out your discount, they should send you a rebate at the end of each year you don't make a claim but they know they have you by the balls cause there's no competition.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #17
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
I don't think you actually get a discount for being on a CRS passed -10, however, they do take your age into account when calculating your insurance, so maybe thats where the additional discount is.

Either way, it's completely accurate to say that you max out your discount at 36. Being at -10 on the CRS and -20 is NOT the same, despite both giving a 43% discount. As mentioned, the fact that an accident would only move you 3 steps at -20 is huge.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #18
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
At the very least, after you max out your discount, they should send you a rebate at the end of each year you don't make a claim but they know they have you by the balls cause there's no competition.
Err, why? Does any kind of insurance do that? Hell, does any other kind of insurance even give discounts?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #19
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
if moving from the US is anything like moving from another province, in order to get any discount you need to prove you've been driving for X years. in order to do that, you need to get your insurance history from your past location. it sucks but it makes sense.

when my family moved back to BC my dad & sister got their discounts b/c both of them had their own cars and insurance for years and had paperwork to prove it. i had a license but no car/insurance under my name so no discount for me. however once i switched over to a BC license i built up my discount even without owning/insuring a car
+1
I would add, if you did not own the car (ie, company car), the company should write a letter stating the length of time the vehicle was assigned to you + the company needs to give you a letter from the insurance they were using to report the vehicle claims history during that same period.

Another thing if you already paid your premium, and you get those letters later (dead line ofmax 60 days if i remember correctly) they will refund you the difference by mail, if a discount was applicable.

If you did not drive at all, I was informed it did not count. In my case I have had my out of Canada license for the past 12 years and was informed it did not matter unless I have proof of insurance company and/or company.
tinico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
If you get your license at 16 and don't get into an at-fault accident, your discount will be maxed out at age 36. Say the average guy will drive til he's at least 65 or so. So for 30+ years, in respect to effecting insurance cost, there's no incentive to avoid getting into an accident.
How do you figure that? You get into an accident, you lose some or all of your discount (not figuring in "accident forgiveness" for those with 10+ years at CRS-20). KEEP getting into accidents, you start paying extra.

Anyway, as others have said... OP, you should be able to get a discount if you've already been driving a long time. When my wife moved here from Illinois, she brought a letter from her previous insurance company stating she was claim-free (she was almost 24 at the time, so she would have had almost 8 years on her record), and ICBC started her off at full discount (the steps went down faster then). Handed over her Illinois license, they snapped her picture, and she got the BCDL, just like that.

If you haven't insured your own vehicle before, or have done so infrequently, you could try bringing along your abstract from the DMV you got your license through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #21
I'm invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinico View Post
+1
I would add, if you did not own the car (ie, company car), the company should write a letter stating the length of time the vehicle was assigned to you + the company needs to give you a letter from the insurance they were using to report the vehicle claims history during that same period.

Another thing if you already paid your premium, and you get those letters later (dead line ofmax 60 days if i remember correctly) they will refund you the difference by mail, if a discount was applicable.

If you did not drive at all, I was informed it did not count. In my case I have had my out of Canada license for the past 12 years and was informed it did not matter unless I have proof of insurance company and/or company.
If you were driving a company vehicles, it only applies if you use the vehicle for work and pleasure purposes. In this situation you need 2 letters: one from the company you worked for, and the second letter must be from the insurance company.

If you are a new resident to BC, after getting your first plate, you have to to 6 months to send in the claims letters and application form and $20 to ICBC for a full refund for that one vehicle. After 6 months, they will still refund you, they will only refund to the date they get the application.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #22

Quote:
If you get your license at 16 and don't get into an at-fault accident, your discount will be maxed out at age 36. Say the average guy will drive til he's at least 65 or so. So for 30+ years, in respect to effecting insurance cost, there's no incentive to avoid getting into an accident. For those that have a car insured under their name and are accident free, the discounts should continue to go up, indefinitely.

~end rant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
How do you figure that? You get into an accident, you lose some or all of your discount (not figuring in "accident forgiveness" for those with 10+ years at CRS-20). KEEP getting into accidents, you start paying extra.
I think you misread my post.

RSUV #7
Old 05-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #23
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I wish we had state farm here, they reward good drivers. I would go as far as plugging in 'big brother' into my OBD2 if it's gonna reduce my insurance in any significant manner.

also speaking of insurance, have you guys heard that Jake from State Farm is dating Flo from Progressive

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #24
RS Lurker, I don't post!

well, seems like we couldn't swing any discount for having licenses (from the USA) for more than 20 years as neither of us were insured for the majority of that time. Last time I was insured was for a year in 1996-7, and i have no records to show that. Ended up having to pay $179/mo for basic liability. I guess that's just part of the cost of living in BC....
suntunnels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #25

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
^ Try getting insurance for new drivers in Ontario.

Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote