REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Anyone Been Harassed by Statistics Canada? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703382-anyone-been-harassed-statistics-canada.html)

bLUEsTEEL 05-14-2015 09:00 PM

Anyone Been Harassed by Statistics Canada?

Anyone here ever been harassed by Statistics Canada? A good friend is being harassed every couple of days to answer a voluntary survey. He keeps telling him he isn't interested but a couple of days later he's back asking him to answer the survey again. WTF? Anyone else have to deal with these idiots? If you have what did you do to get them to stop bothering you?

pinn3r 05-14-2015 09:05 PM

Could it possibly be a scam? Tell him to call a Statistics Canada office to see wassup

The_Situation 05-14-2015 09:06 PM

I think most smartphones nowadays have a block number option. I know the iphone does and it works wonders.

bLUEsTEEL 05-14-2015 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinn3r (Post 8636566)
Could it possibly be a scam? Tell him to call a Statistics Canada office to see wassup

He did and it's legit.

bLUEsTEEL 05-14-2015 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Situation (Post 8636568)
I think most smartphones nowadays have a block number option. I know the iphone does and it works wonders.

The problem is they don't phone, they just keep coming to his door even after he's told them he's not interested. It's like they're zombies or something. WTF?

Mikoyan 05-14-2015 09:52 PM

Sounds like he may have been selected for the National Household Survey, the replacement for the previously mandatory long form census.

They use the info for economic/social/etc planning.

I know your friend doesn't want to bother, but collection of that info is pretty important, even more so now since it's voluntary. Anyone with any statistics knowledge knows what a mess Harper caused when he cancelled the old mandatory long form census.

It used to be 1 in 5 households had to answer, but now due to the way lower response rate to the voluntary NHS, they have to approach 1 in 3 households now. And they can't even compare the some of the new data with the pre 2011 data since the population samples have changed, and it even costs more to get the data too.

Great fix to an non existent problem.

Anyways that's probably why they're pressing your friend so hard.

The_Situation 05-14-2015 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bLUEsTEEL (Post 8636574)
The problem is they don't phone, they just keep coming to his door even after he's told them he's not interested. It's like they're zombies or something. WTF?

oh thats fucked then. is it like the same guy

tiger_handheld 05-14-2015 10:12 PM

i usually go with something like this.

survey official: hi, we need 10mins of your time to do this survey
me: am i getting paid
SO: no, this will only take 10mins.
me: if you can answer this question, i will complete your survey: you get paid by [name agency] to come out and get people to volunteer their time for the survey. Would you volunteer your time or do this for free? likely not right? what makes you think I'm any different from you?
SO:.............
me: please don't bother me again, unless you get approval from your superiors to pay me in cash. I'll take $20 at the least.
SO:............
me: have a good day.

bLUEsTEEL 05-14-2015 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Situation (Post 8636588)
oh thats fucked then. is it like the same guy

Yeah, it's the same idiot!

bLUEsTEEL 05-14-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8636602)

me: if you can answer this question, i will complete your survey: you get paid by [name agency] to come out and get people to volunteer their time for the survey. Would you volunteer your time or do this for free? likely not right? what makes you think I'm any different from you?
me: please don't bother me again, unless you get approval from your superiors to pay me in cash. I'll take $20 at the least.

Ha! That's a good one! Think it might work too! I've heard these guys can't stand having people waste their time.

bLUEsTEEL 05-14-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikoyan (Post 8636586)
Sounds like he may have been selected for the National Household Survey, the replacement for the previously mandatory long form census.

They use the info for economic/social/etc planning.

I know your friend doesn't want to bother, but collection of that info is pretty important, even more so now since it's voluntary. Anyone with any statistics knowledge knows what a mess Harper caused when he cancelled the old mandatory long form census.

It used to be 1 in 5 households had to answer, but now due to the way lower response rate to the voluntary NHS, they have to approach 1 in 3 households now. And they can't even compare the some of the new data with the pre 2011 data since the population samples have changed, and it even costs more to get the data too.

Great fix to an non existent problem.

Anyways that's probably why they're pressing your friend so hard.

It wouldn't be a surprise if they get a commission for each person they can get to do this stupid survey!

Hot Karl 05-14-2015 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bLUEsTEEL (Post 8636625)
It wouldn't be a surprise if they get a commission for each person they can get to do this stupid survey!

having worked at census before i can assure that this is absurd. the easiest way to get rid of the guy is to just do the survey. it'll take maybe 5-10 minutes in most cases.

they don't ask anything actually about you or your name. usually stuff like how many people in household, any kids, stuff like that. even if you had 10 illegal tenants and told them that they don't care. it's just to get an idea for things like schools in the area if there are lots of kids etc.

when people complain that there isn't enough of a service in their area these surveys help them identify that. not saying it's a fix but it's supposed to be a start.

bLUEsTEEL 05-15-2015 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Karl (Post 8636643)
having worked at census before i can assure that this is absurd. the easiest way to get rid of the guy is to just do the survey. it'll take maybe 5-10 minutes in most cases.

they don't ask anything actually about you or your name. usually stuff like how many people in household, any kids, stuff like that. even if you had 10 illegal tenants and told them that they don't care. it's just to get an idea for things like schools in the area if there are lots of kids etc.

when people complain that there isn't enough of a service in their area these surveys help them identify that. not saying it's a fix but it's supposed to be a start.

Only problem is that once you start they'll just come back again for another survey.

toehook 05-15-2015 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bLUEsTEEL (Post 8636671)
Only problem is that once you start they'll just come back again for another survey.

I had family dealt with these surveys and they only take like 15 minutes out of your or your buddy's time. LITERALLY 15 minutes and you will be on your merry way and they leave you alone. Would you rather complete a 15 minute survey or be hassled every other day for it?

bLUEsTEEL 05-15-2015 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toehook (Post 8636677)
I had family dealt with these surveys and they only take like 15 minutes out of your or your buddy's time. LITERALLY 15 minutes and you will be on your merry way and they leave you alone. Would you rather complete a 15 minute survey or be hassled every other day for it?

Hopefully, they don't have to deal with more surveys later on or be chosen for one of those surveys that takes months to complete because they are now seen as being very accommodating.

Mikoyan 05-15-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bLUEsTEEL (Post 8636678)
Hopefully, they don't have to deal with more surveys later on or be chosen for one of those surveys that takes months to complete because they are now seen as being very accommodating.

This has nothing to do with the private survey companies that call you up all the time for other surveys.

bLUEsTEEL 05-15-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikoyan (Post 8636769)
This has nothing to do with the private survey companies that call you up all the time for other surveys.

Their way of doing things sure makes them look like they are one of those companies.

Mikoyan 05-15-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bLUEsTEEL (Post 8636861)
Their way of doing things sure makes them look like they are one of those companies.

They must be getting a low response rate for your friend's area.

Which was why it was stupid for the Harper Government to make the changes in the first place. Previously 1 in 5 families were contacted and it was mandatory. They got a 98% response rate. Since the change, 65% response rate overall?, including some areas with a 0% response rate.

How are you supposed to do any kind of forecasting or planning with no data?

That said though, if it was a private survey company, I'd tell them to take a hike too. IF it was Stats Can, I'd happy answer their questions, because of what the data is used for.

Hot Karl 05-15-2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bLUEsTEEL (Post 8636671)

the only problem is you don't know what you're talking about. you're badly misinformed about statistics canada.

they don't keep records of the house or person. i can't explain that any simpler.

that means they won't be calling back once the surveys done. understand?

bLUEsTEEL 05-15-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikoyan (Post 8636890)
They must be getting a low response rate for your friend's area.

Which was why it was stupid for the Harper Government to make the changes in the first place. Previously 1 in 5 families were contacted and it was mandatory. They got a 98% response rate. Since the change, 65% response rate overall?, including some areas with a 0% response rate.

How are you supposed to do any kind of forecasting or planning with no data?

That said though, if it was a private survey company, I'd tell them to take a hike too. IF it was Stats Can, I'd happy answer their questions, because of what the data is used for.

They should also respect a person's privacy though. If they don't want to participate then that should be respected. They shouldn't have to deal with continuous harassment.

underscore 05-15-2015 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bLUEsTEEL (Post 8636924)
They should also respect a person's privacy though. If they don't want to participate then that should be respected. They shouldn't have to deal with continuous harassment.

If they need 1 out of 3 households to participate then effectively you or one of your neighbours either side needs to do it. Just take the 15 minutes and help improve the area you live in and be done with it, or don't complain if changes made near your home don't make sense.

bLUEsTEEL 05-15-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8636940)
If they need 1 out of 3 households to participate then effectively you or one of your neighbours either side needs to do it. Just take the 15 minutes and help improve the area you live in and be done with it, or don't complain if changes made near your home don't make sense.

The survey has nothing to do with improving the area he lives in.

bLUEsTEEL 05-16-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8636602)

He called the police and they're now looking into it.

GoldenBoy 05-16-2015 03:28 PM

https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...ac&oe=56098A72

cocojoe 05-18-2015 03:52 PM

If nothing works just https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/abm-2.gif