REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Donor match - Win the lottery? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703383-donor-match-win-lottery.html)

Hondaracer 05-14-2015 09:26 PM

Donor match - Win the lottery?

Billionaire Owner of the Ottawa Senators public plee for a Liver doner

http://www.worldsrichpeople.com/imag...nemelnykrp.jpg

Ottawa Senators seek live liver donor for owner Eugene Melnyk

Guy is a billionaire obviously on his last leg publically pleeing for a donor.

Phone the hot line, be a match, get virtually any amount in return?

Depending on how desperate the guy is, any match could virtually ask for any amount of money in return and i don't feel it would be out of place, or a scumball move to do so. Giving up numerous years, if not substantially shortening your own life to prolong his?

form to fill out if you are a donor:

http://www.uhn.ca/MOT/PatientsFamili...istoryForm.pdf

:fullofwin:

Mikoyan 05-14-2015 10:01 PM

Officially you can't pay for organs in Canada.

Unofficially? :whistle:

Hondaracer 05-14-2015 10:47 PM

I'm surprised he hasn't exhausted those options elsewhere

mickz 05-14-2015 10:56 PM

You'll probably end up with one of these.

http://capricorncity.com/wp-content/...e-Simpsons.jpg

murd0c 05-14-2015 11:01 PM

I would so give up my liver to help him out.

Mike Oxbig 05-14-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8636633)
I would so give up my liver to help him out.

1% owner of the Ottawa Senetors you would do it lol

Ludepower 05-15-2015 12:18 AM

I know the rich can pay for their own private healthcare.

But with enough money...does it allow them to jump queue for organ transplant?

StylinRed 05-15-2015 01:10 AM

surprised he hasn't gone to india or china etc. where selling organs is big business albeit those that sell them end up losing all their gains in medical costs afterwards

Razor Ramon HG 05-15-2015 01:12 AM

He could probably fly to any shady area in South America and get one, lol

quasi 05-15-2015 05:27 AM

We share the same last name, maybe we share livers. On a serious note, family or friends I'd do it without a question but random strangers would be a tough decision me.

yray 05-15-2015 07:52 AM

liver for s2k :badpokerface:

smoothie. 05-15-2015 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8636711)
liver for s2k :badpokerface:

i really hope your liver is worth more than an s2k to you.

MG1 05-15-2015 08:41 AM

I would give up my liver to save a family member or a friend without hesitation, not someone who has a shitload of money. The world is not fair. The wealthy drive the safest cars, get whatever the hell they want and whenever. If they get cancer, they get the best doctors and treatment, while the rest of us suffer. I would destroy my liver before donating it to some rich dude.

He'll get what he needs/wants in the end anyway.

gars 05-15-2015 08:43 AM

I thought you only give a portion of your liver, and your own liver will regenerate to full size again?

Obviously there are big risks with any surgery, but it's not like donating a kidney.

CRS 05-15-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 8636732)
I thought you only give a portion of your liver, and your own liver will regenerate to full size again?

Obviously there are big risks with any surgery, but it's not like donating a kidney.

You're right that you donate part of your liver and it does regenerate (fun fact: liver is the only organ that can do this). However, it would be naive to think that this won't shorten your lifespan.

The risks for the surgery itself is actually very low. Something like less than 1% chance of death where the vast majority of people heal without issue in 2-3 months.

Nabatron 05-15-2015 09:17 AM

I'm sure if you give some of your liver he would swing some money your way...a little bit of under the table action. I dont think people would give a piece of their own liver without any compensations....

Hondaracer 05-15-2015 09:25 AM

well thats what i'm saying, if you were a direct match you could essentially demand anything you wanted. The guy is a billionaire, 20, 30, even 50 million wouldnt be out of the realm of possibility. And it would hardly be irrational or immoral to ask any amount you desired. You have less than zero obligation to help somone in his position

dont want to give me 50 million? then i guess you dont need a peice of my liver

Ch28 05-15-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 8636732)

I believe most people up until their early 50s can regenerate their liver, but the actual regeneration and healing process takes a looooooong time. You won't be feeling the same until you're fully healed. The surgery itself is like 6-8 hours long.

Nabatron 05-15-2015 09:35 AM

"Hey you want a piece of my liver? I'm a perfect match give me 50 mill...NO?!! Ok I guess you dead...."

I can see alot of these scenarios happening for him sadly this is the world we live in but hey if the guy is a billionaire and wants to live I assume any amount of money will due if it keeps him alive..

Mikoyan 05-15-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8636656)
I know the rich can pay for their own private healthcare.

But with enough money...does it allow them to jump queue for organ transplant?

In Canada you get placed on your province's waiting list based on your condition.

jasonturbo 05-15-2015 11:25 AM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/9f/9fe7...8434147a7c.jpg

Hehe 05-15-2015 12:05 PM

I personally don't see what the problem is if he's reaching to outside of the regular organ donor system.

Without a proper incentive, there wouldn't be those organ donors anyhow. So, if he's up to pay for it, why not?

He's definitely desperate. And it is going to happen regardless. After all, the amount of money he commands can literally buy pretty much anything on black market.

underscore 05-15-2015 12:24 PM

Is this guy asking because he's desperate, or because he doesn't want to wait?

Verdasco 05-15-2015 12:26 PM

does he need an exact match??? $50 million for a liver.. very tempting

Hondaracer 05-15-2015 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8636802)
Is this guy asking because he's desperate, or because he doesn't want to wait?

They said on CBC the situation is very "immediate" and he's been in the hospital for the last two weeks