REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:54 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
why should they be fired. So many times I been on planes the the next person just keep using their phone even when the flight attendant is standing right beside them asking them please shut off your phone. These ppl don't even care till the flight attendant is about to take their phone away then they shut off their phone.

Also just coz someone send you a text saying they are going to do something crazy doesn't mean they will do it. The flight attendant have no way to verify if the text message was serious or is a joke. And they most likely deal with a lot of case where the passengers just refuse to shut off their phone and came up with different excuse.

What the lady should have done is let the flight attendant know there is a serious issue and she needs to use her phone if they don't allow her she have to get off the plan ASAP. She didn't go the extra bit. If she wants to talk to her husband she would have find a way to do so. I feel sorry for the lost of her husband but there are more she could have done for sure if she knows this is serious.
They should have done more to alert the authorities. There's a policy for everything in life, and every policy has something superior to it. When you hear the words "my husband is going to commit suicide here is the text", there is no need to verify it. You stop what you are doing and report to the proper authorities what is happening. You don't shush her down, and carry on fluffing the next passengers pillow. Sure,, it may be a bluff. But thats not the FA's call to make.

We don't know much about how it played out, so we can't necessarily put all the blame on her. Maybe she was stressed out. She could have been mentally challenged, drunk, didn't know English, any or neither of the above, or anything else. However, we do know her only outreach at that point were the FA's and they just shut her down.

I jiust think they lacked common sense in this case.
Advertisement
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-16-2015, 07:45 AM   #27
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Fact is, the husband did commit suicide and something could have been done about it. It was definitely bad timing and the wife should have tried harder. As some have mentioned, she could have easily dialed 911 right in front of the flight attendant and say "this is a real emergency, you can arrest me for obstructing or violating FAA regulations but I'm making this emergency 911 call."

1 simple call could have got someone to the scene and saved a life. I'm going to put equal blame on the wife and the FA's.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #28
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
its interesting seeing some of your guys thoughts... its so grey..

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #29
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Not sure if a lot of you just read the tl;dr part, but seeing as none of us were there, we can't really say she didn't do enough.

Offering her a drink to cope is a fucking insult.

I have sympathy for her. I could not imagine the grief. There are timid people in the world who just don't have it in them to make a scene or be anything but compliant. Planes are sensitive environments these days as well...

The husband is to blame, not the airline, but I think a little more compassion should have been shown to this poor woman!
That's her story... Most of it is probably exaggerated.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
I have no sympathy for her. Given the facts, like many have stated, she could have just dialed 9-1-1. If she actually cared what would happen to her husband she would not care about the consequences of making a phone call like that. My guess is she fell out of love with the guy and only kind of cared about him. Who knows though, people are stupid.