REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Southwest Airlines Refuses Plea from Woman

Quote:

A Wisconsin woman is looking for answers after she said Southwest Airlines refused to let her use her cellphone to make a call that could have saved her husband's life.

On April 3, Karen Momsen-Evers was flying back to Milwaukee after a girls’ trip in New Orleans. Right before takeoff, she received a text from her husband that read: “Karen, please forgive me for what I am about to do, I am going to kill myself…”

"I started shaking and I was panicked," Momsen-Evers told FoxNews.com. "I texted him ‘no, 'no,’ and he responded, 'yes, because I have to.'"

The text reached her just as flight crew were finishing cabin checks, but she said she knew the text was "serious" because her husband, who'd been very stressed recently, never threatened suicide before. She said that she told a male flight attendant what was happening and showed him the text messages.

"The steward slapped the phone down and said 'you have to put that in airplane mode. We were pushing away from the gate,'" Momsen-Evers recalls. The unidentified crew member explained that it was “FAA regulations.”

Helpless, Momsen-Evers waited until airborne to reach out to another flight attendant for help and asked if they could make an emergency call from the cockpit.

"I showed her the texts. She said that she there is nothing she could do and that they could not disturb the pilot. They offered me a drink, that was it," says Momsen-Evers. "I just wanted someone to go and try to save him.”

Momsen-Evers says she spent the duration of the two-hour flight sobbing in her seat and was only able to call police after the plane arrived at the gate in Milwaukee. But when Momsen-Evers arrived home she was met by officers who told her that her husband Andy had already taken his life.

Later, Momsen-Evers called the airline through customer service to see if there was anything she could have done. She said she was told that FAA rules prevented cellphone use during flights. Her friend, who bought the tickets on with her own miles for Momsen-Evers, was later offered a refund. Momsen-Evers said she has not been in touch with the airline since then.

In response to the incident, Southwest spokeswoman Brandy King sent FoxNews.com the following statement:

"We are extremely saddened to learn of Mrs. Evers’ loss, and the Southwest Family extends our deepest condolences. While I am unable to offer specifics on this situation, Southwest Airlines transports more than 100 million Customers a year and it's not uncommon for our Crews to assist passengers with life events. Our Employees utilize their training to handle a wide variety of situations to the best of their ability – while assisting the up to 100 plus passengers onboard and executing Safety procedures to prepare a flight for departure and for arrival. Again, our hearts go out to the Evers' Family during this difficult time. "

The airline had earlier released this statement to the local news outlet WMTJ:

"Our hearts go out to the Evers family during this difficult time. Our flight attendants are trained to notify the Captain if there is an emergency that poses a hazard to the aircraft or to the passengers on-board. In this situation, the pilots were not notified."

Momsen-Evers says she understands that the crew needed to consider the safety of everyone on board her flight, but says more could have been done to possibly save her husband's life.

"No one could say if it would have made a difference, but I just wanted someone to do a well- check where the police could check on someone suicidal," she said. "I wasn’t looking to get off or stop the airplane. I was just looking for someone to make a phone call."

Sauce: Widow: Southwest prevented me from calling my suicidal husband | Fox News
tl;dr:
-Woman gets text from husband saying he's going to commit suicide
-Woman only able to get text saying "no don't"
-Stewardess' tell woman to put phone into airplane mode
-Won't let woman make call once in mid-flight
-Plane lands, calls cops, cops say husband already killed himself

Wonder if a lawsuit is going to come of this..
Advertisement
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
If it was that serious and she was convinced it was life or death why didn't she just get up and say it out loud to people around her, delay or get off the flight?

Sick of all this after the fact shit running to news outlets with their sob stories.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

^this.

She didn't go the extra mile to save his life. If it were me fck everyone esle on the plane. I would have been selfish enough to delay that flight to save someone close to me.
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If it was that serious and she was convinced it was life or death why didn't she just get up and say it out loud to people around her, delay or get off the flight?

Sick of all this after the fact shit running to news outlets with their sob stories.
some people arent as creative or.... loud?

her asking for help the way she did should've been enough.

that really sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
What kind of asshole texts his wife, right before she gets on a plane, that he's going to kill himself?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Wife should have gotten off the plane immediately before the plane took off (was still pushing away from the gate at that time?)
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
What kind of asshole texts his wife, right before she gets on a plane, that he's going to kill himself?
could be one from the hired hitman, planned with the wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I personally wouldn't go on a guy's trip if I know my significant other is recently unstable or very stressed.
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,147 Times in 387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishCak3s View Post
I personally wouldn't go on a guy's trip if I know my significant other is recently unstable or very stressed.
Sometimes you just don't know, especially if they hide it well. Like the German pilot in that air crash recently.

Chances are if the husband planned it out that way, he did it this way so she couldn't do anything about it.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Wonder if a lawsuit is going to come of this..
Law suits start in the states when someone has a hard shit after eating at a restaurant. So I can almost guarantee some sort of legal action will result from this. Especially after the news picks it up, greedy lawyers are going to be gushing over this case contacting the lady to sue.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #11
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
thats pretty intense that an exception couldnt be made but at the same time these flight attendants probably deal with so much shit and people trying to use their phones that they have grown insensitive or believed the woman could have been lying

suicide is a tricky subject, i have dealt with it within my immediate family and its hard to tell when the glass is finally going to be full with some people

in my case we were left a note, its a powerless feeling but whats done is done. i think telling someone is alot more greedy as they still have a "chance" of helping and in this case she will live the rest of her life imagining a different outcome if only she could have made that phone call.

regarding the decision made, like i mentioned above. it was just the guys time he felt

if someone is in that much pain for whatever reason they decide the good no longer outweighs the bad then its really up to your point of view if its better or worse for the person making the decision. of course its greedy if you consider the pain the family is going to suffer but its greedy if we expect everyone to live their life in a pain that would make them even consider suicide
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
As much as I want to find a way to blame the airline..I can only blame her. It's like she took the no as "okay (sad meme face).

She should have kicked and screamed. Done anything to get the attention of someone willing to do anything.

Those flight attendants though should be fired. You have a text saying someone is going to kill themselves and just brush it off.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
^ why should they be fired? People try to pull all kinds of lies to use their phones on a plane.

In the time that it took her to send "no, no" and for him to reply, she could've been making that call or moving to get out of the plane. Why would the flight attendants believe it's serious when you're just sitting there texting?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

A-FUCKING-MEN!!!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
Those flight attendants though should be fired. You have a text saying someone is going to kill themselves and just brush it off.

why though, homeless people go into mcdonalds all the time and ask for food and their employees are trained to send them out the door, if its protocol they are just doing their job. of course it might not be ethical and we may think down upon them for the decision they made but regarding their job.. they did their job

Last edited by snails; 05-15-2015 at 12:32 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Its according to most airline's SOP and FAA rules that cell phones aren't used.
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
the situation definitely could've been handled better

for the lady she should've kicked and screamed
the staff could've asked the pilot to contact the tower to make a call to the police, no? either way, they were just doing their job.

sad situation but sounds like the husband made up his mind long ago...now she's gonna live with the rest of her life in what if's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishCak3s View Post
yeah that was pretty selfish of her /s

Last edited by twitchyzero; 05-15-2015 at 03:43 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #18

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
So the airline should be sued because if she got off the plane and was able to call; assuming he picks up. She would totally have been able to convince a person who was determined to kill himself not to?
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #19
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Could have locked herself in the washroom and made the call.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #20
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
Could have locked herself in the washroom and made the call.
Flight attendants would just unlock it from the outside.
She should have called using a headset with ear buds which are allowed on take off and landing for music.
dahonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #21

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
why though, homeless people go into mcdonalds all the time and ask for food and their employees are trained to send them out the door, if its protocol they are just doing their job. of course it might not be ethical and we may think down upon them for the decision they made but regarding their job.. they did their job
That's true. But this isn't a person asking for a burger. This is a person saying she's got proof that someone's about to end their life.

I'm not saying they should have allowed her to keep on texting. Take away her cell phone..but contact the cops. If at the end of the day the cops find out she was lying so she could send out a couple extra text messages to her friends, they can then prosecute her for whatever "lying to x agency" law there is.

If some one makes a claim like that at my job, I've got no issue with calling the cops. Not so much because I want to save someone from offing themselves, but more so because I don't want to be held liable in any way.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #22

Quote:
That's true. But this isn't a person asking for a burger. This is a person saying she's got proof that someone's about to end their life.

I'm not saying they should have allowed her to keep on texting. Take away her cell phone..but contact the cops. If at the end of the day the cops find out she was lying so she could send out a couple extra text messages to her friends, they can then prosecute her for whatever "lying to x agency" law there is.

If some one makes a claim like that at my job, I've got no issue with calling the cops. Not so much because I want to save someone from offing themselves, but more so because I don't want to be held liable in any way.

no im aware, im speaking in regards to people losing their jobs vs whats ethical

unfortunately this isnt black and white and i was just using it as an example
Old 05-15-2015, 05:28 PM   #23
HELP ME PLS!!!

or she could've, i dunno, called 911 and quickly said "go to 123 abc my husband is suicidal" before an attendant came by?

i've never seen anyone "slap" a phone out a persons hand on a plane. pretty easy to make a 5 second call during takeoff if you really wanted to ...

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #24
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
Not sure if a lot of you just read the tl;dr part, but seeing as none of us were there, we can't really say she didn't do enough.

Quote:
"I started shaking and I was panicked,"
Quote:
"The steward slapped the phone down and said 'you have to put that in airplane mode. We were pushing away from the gate,'"
Quote:
"I showed her the texts. She said that she there is nothing she could do and that they could not disturb the pilot. They offered me a drink, that was it,"
Offering her a drink to cope is a fucking insult.

I have sympathy for her. I could not imagine the grief. There are timid people in the world who just don't have it in them to make a scene or be anything but compliant. Planes are sensitive environments these days as well...

The husband is to blame, not the airline, but I think a little more compassion should have been shown to this poor woman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #25
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
As much as I want to find a way to blame the airline..I can only blame her. It's like she took the no as "okay (sad meme face).

She should have kicked and screamed. Done anything to get the attention of someone willing to do anything.

why should they be fired. So many times I been on planes the the next person just keep using their phone even when the flight attendant is standing right beside them asking them please shut off your phone. These ppl don't even care till the flight attendant is about to take their phone away then they shut off their phone.

Also just coz someone send you a text saying they are going to do something crazy doesn't mean they will do it. The flight attendant have no way to verify if the text message was serious or is a joke. And they most likely deal with a lot of case where the passengers just refuse to shut off their phone and came up with different excuse.

What the lady should have done is let the flight attendant know there is a serious issue and she needs to use her phone if they don't allow her she have to get off the plan ASAP. She didn't go the extra bit. If she wants to talk to her husband she would have find a way to do so. I feel sorry for the lost of her husband but there are more she could have done for sure if she knows this is serious.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: