REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 05-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Powering on, but No Display

My PC will power on but there is nothing on the display. The computer is 7-8 years old now and I used to over clock it every now and then when it was new. I didn't build, dell did. I know have more experience and have built computers before so I can easily take it apart and fix anything wrong, only problem is the case is held together with rivets and not screws. Anything I can do to fix it? I was planning on building a new PC in the next year or two anyways. I was just waiting for 4k to become bigger so the monitors would drop in price. Should I cut my losses and build a new PC? Or try and fix it. Is there even anything I can do to fix it?
Advertisement
BrownBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:51 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
maybe its the video card? or the cable is loose?
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Have you tried a different monitor?

You can try using a dremel tool to cut around the rivets or a drill and drill them out ?

Your computer could just be dead... If you over clocked it with a stock heat sink, it could have just shortened its lifespan.
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

There is no Dell desktop computer that is sealed up with rivets. If you can't figure out how to open it up, fixing it is outside your scope.
Troll.
Zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #5

I'll post up pics when I get a chance. I have built probably 10 PCs now for friends and family. Taking a case off is not out of my scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapper View Post
There is no Dell desktop computer that is sealed up with rivets. If you can't figure out how to open it up, fixing it is outside your scope.
Troll.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

Have you tried swapping with another monitor? Maybe it's not your monitor's fault.

Very likely your Mobo may be dead.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #7

Ya I used two different monitors and even my TV. I hooked up my laptop to both monitors and TV and all 3 worked perfectly fine with my laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Have you tried swapping with another monitor? Maybe it's not your monitor's fault.

Very likely your Mobo may be dead.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!

So is this a PC desktop that's not turning on or a laptop?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #9

Its my desktop computer. I tested the monitors using my laptop to make sure they both worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
So is this a PC desktop that's not turning on or a laptop?
Old 05-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Dell cases are made for easy repair. You shouldn't ever have to elbow-grease it. However, sometimes, the trick is figuring out how to open them. If you don't see any obvious screws, then they may be behind the front panel cover. A sharp tug from the bottom of the panel should release it.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
try a new driver
sounds like the video card/mobo is going
there has to be a way to open it, google the model number

fyi dont overclock prebuilts unless you can throw a custom cooler in it...the PSU and mobo are usually inferior than off-the-shelf stuff
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #12

I know that, I always kept a close eye on my GPU and CPU temperature and only overclocked when playing more demanding games

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
try a new driver
sounds like the video card/mobo is going
there has to be a way to open it, google the model number

fyi dont overclock prebuilts unless you can throw a custom cooler in it...the PSU and mobo are usually inferior than off-the-shelf stuff
Old 05-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #13

Thanks I didn't know that. I have never worked will anything from Dell and I built this computer when I was like 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Dell cases are made for easy repair. You shouldn't ever have to elbow-grease it. However, sometimes, the trick is figuring out how to open them. If you don't see any obvious screws, then they may be behind the front panel cover. A sharp tug from the bottom of the panel should release it.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #14
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
My PC will power on but there is nothing on the display. The computer is 7-8 years old now and I used to over clock it every now and then when it was new. I didn't build, dell did. I know have more experience and have built computers before so I can easily take it apart and fix anything wrong, only problem is the case is held together with rivets and not screws. Anything I can do to fix it? I was planning on building a new PC in the next year or two anyways. I was just waiting for 4k to become bigger so the monitors would drop in price. Should I cut my losses and build a new PC? Or try and fix it. Is there even anything I can do to fix it?

Quote:
Thanks I didn't know that. I have never worked will anything from Dell and I built this computer when I was like 14.
????

I think you should just build another computer. Fixing it would probably be good for now, but in the future another old piece can give out and you'll have to replace that.
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #15

You know what I mean. I'm thinking a twin 980 with water cooling build

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post
Quote:

Quote:
????

I think you should just build another computer. Fixing it would probably be good for now, but in the future another old piece can give out and you'll have to replace that.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I find it hard to believe that someone with experience building 10 PCs can not figure out a pre-built Dell video issue.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2015, 10:26 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Dell cases can have some funky releases but they tend to all come apart without any tools. If you've never opened it up it's probably full of dust.

As a silly suggestion, have you tried other video cables?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:34 PM   #18

I tried 3 different pairs of HDMI cables. It's definitely not the cables or monitors. I'll give it another try tomorrow after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Dell cases can have some funky releases but they tend to all come apart without any tools. If you've never opened it up it's probably full of dust.

As a silly suggestion, have you tried other video cables?
Old 05-16-2015, 11:36 PM   #19

If I could figure out how to get the case off I'd have fixed it by now. There's no visible screws anywhere on the case. Just rivets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar604 View Post
I find it hard to believe that someone with experience building 10 PCs can not figure out a pre-built Dell video issue.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:56 PM   #20
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
isn't there some sort of sticker that tells you the model # and what not? youtube how to open case?

even if you did open it, i am not sure if its worth the money, and if it is the video card, to replace the video card. let alone being able to find one that is compatible.

might as well invest the money into your build.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote