REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:08 AM   #126
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You do know the politicians often have to draw on their home mortgage (2nd or 3rd) to fund their campaigns.. esp. established ones. Like Jeanny Kwan who when PHS scandal came out.. the info was she bought a detached in Kits.

I would say they are more vested personally to keep the house prices up.

It is not that hard to turn around to say NDP themselves are just as bad.. eg Gregor, Harcourts townhouse deals etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
True -- but it also exposes another 2 fairly simple facts:

2) As far as I can see, the NDP has yet to take any advantage of point #1. It just goes to show how incompetent they are in every imaginable way. Agenda setting should be something you learn in politician school 101. It takes skill to effectively spin something up, but for something as dead simple as housing affordability, I honestly can't understand why the NDP hasn't brought it up yet. When you are not the governing party, everything else should be secondary to getting the party in power.
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:27 AM   #127
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
You do know the politicians often have to draw on their home mortgage (2nd or 3rd) to fund their campaigns.. esp. established ones. Like Jeanny Kwan who when PHS scandal came out.. the info was she bought a detached in Kits.

I would say they are more vested personally to keep the house prices up.

It is not that hard to turn around to say NDP themselves are just as bad.. eg Gregor, Harcourts townhouse deals etc.
For independents, that is totally what I would expect. But for someone with party backing, especially from the 2 established parties, I would be very surprised to find them needing to kick in significant portions of their own campaign funds. After all, what good is a party association when it can't channel funds to your campaign? You might as well just shed the party baggage and run as an independent if that were the case.

Additionally, political parties have a whole mechanism and associated laws to govern political donations. Politicians themselves are far more limited in how much money they can receive from donors. This means the parties have some money to blow, while the politician himself has very little.

And then there is the very real possibility of losing. If a politician has to chip in his own money -- that is, his very own money, not donations he receives from supporters -- to fund the campaign, there is a serious problem if the funds are coming from re-mortgaging his house. What do you do when you lose? Sleep on the street?!

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but personally, I find it very hard to believe that it would happen.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:26 AM   #128
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You are assuming established parties can raise enough funds (they usually don't).. Usually politicans have a trail of debt from the party after each election.

The bills are quite high, especially in Vancouver.. I know a MP who accrued 200k debt in the last election. It is not uncommon. Also remember everyone can contribute only $1100 max.. even the candidates themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
For independents, that is totally what I would expect. But for someone with party backing, especially from the 2 established parties, I would be very surprised to find them needing to kick in significant portions of their own campaign funds. After all, what good is a party association when it can't channel funds to your campaign? You might as well just shed the party baggage and run as an independent if that were the case.

Additionally, political parties have a whole mechanism and associated laws to govern political donations. Politicians themselves are far more limited in how much money they can receive from donors. This means the parties have some money to blow, while the politician himself has very little.

And then there is the very real possibility of losing. If a politician has to chip in his own money -- that is, his very own money, not donations he receives from supporters -- to fund the campaign, there is a serious problem if the funds are coming from re-mortgaging his house. What do you do when you lose? Sleep on the street?!

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but personally, I find it very hard to believe that it would happen.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:16 AM   #129
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
How many people on RS? we all should move 100km north, name a place call RevScene town. The moderators will be the mayor, there will be a drag strip in the middle of the town and a F1 race track nearby. Approved members will get a piece of land to build their house. That will be awesome.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #130
Banned (ABWS)

Hilarious pill popping logic. Yet leaves out the part where he is proud to rent because he is drowning in debt and couldn't put a down payment on a place even if he had a 100k helping hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Getting big in your career?

I work like 1-2 hours a day and make over 100k, all this week I spent at the beach, throwing footballs, drinking cold beers and chilling with my girl!

So many people spent that same time indoors in front of a computer monitor from 9-5 because they feel the need to chase that Real Estate Ownership Status.

Maybe our culture is toxic to personal growth because we have this RIGID IDEA that FINANCIAL SUCCESS is the be-all and end-all of life.

One of the guys in my local hood makes like 10 times more than me but he works 10 times harder. Every time he gets paid he feels the need to get destroyed wasted and do cocaine for 48 hours straight, then he's in a shitty mood for 3 days before the cycle starts again next week. Happy is not how I would describe him. He works too hard in order to compete for mainstream social status through displays of wealth.

Another day in paradise...
Nomomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #131
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo View Post
Hilarious pill popping logic. Yet leaves out the part where he is proud to rent because he is drowning in debt and couldn't put a down payment on a place even if he had a 100k helping hand.

I don't pop pills...

Sure I have a little debt but I also have a steady good income If I wanted to make 250k+ a year I could work 8 hours a day instead of 1-2... but then I wouldn't have a fun hipster lifestyle

You make it sound like owning a place is the #1 thing in life... I have great friends, an awesome lifestyle and I'm happy as fuck!

If you're who I think you are, go back to listening to Tom Leykis and hiring prostitutes because no woman ever wants your company!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #132
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Good.

We don't need more whiners (losers) crowded in the the Lower Mainland anyway.
Either shut up/quit rubbernecking what others do with their money OR LEAVE ALREADY
either way, give it 5 more years, by 2020 rich mainland Chinese and other groups will NOT have the incentive to even invest in your backwater little town called vancouver. By then, even if houses drops back to 2000's prices, you poor broke losers still cannot gather enough money for a downpayment.

vancouver is mediocre and the people living in vancouver are small minded people that have no world views. stupid silly canadians
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #133
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
Quote:
If I wanted to make 250k+ a year I could work 8 hours a day instead of 1-2... but then I wouldn't have a fun hipster lifestyle
I don't like to use the word... but this is literally the most retarded thing I've ever read on Revscene.

Edit: Just read gululu's post... now I'm on the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #134
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I'll gladly pay speculation taxes if your governments agrees to compensate Aboriginal Peoples' land. don't give me bullshit excuses such as ie. I was born here and raised here.
(as if introduction of speculation tax will lower prices... lol u wish pathetic)
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #135
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
I don't like to use the word... but this is literally the most retarded thing I've ever read on Revscene.

I think you're a retard for spending the best years of your life working rather than living
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #136
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
vancouver is mediocre and the people living in vancouver are small minded people that have no world views. stupid silly canadians

I bet you are a total dork
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #137
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Edit: Just read gululu's post... now I'm on the fence.
It is partially true though. Don't get me wrong, Vancouver is an awesome place, but it's overhyped to hell and back. People need to stop directly comparing it to places that it's not even close to being. Vancouver is not London, or New York, or any of the other massive cities people keep comparing it to. Personally I'm thankful for that as I have zero interest in such places.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #138
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Vancouver is not London, or New York, or any of the other massive cities people keep comparing it to.

Yes, Vancouver is better
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #139
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,018 Times in 7,109 Posts
Quote:
Good.

Either shut up/quit rubbernecking what others do with their money OR LEAVE ALREADY
either way, give it 5 more years, by 2020 rich mainland Chinese and other groups will NOT have the incentive to even invest in your backwater little town called vancouver. By then, even if houses drops back to 2000's prices, you poor broke losers still cannot gather enough money for a downpayment.

Where do you get your money from? Rich kids with their parents money are just as big of losers as the crackheads on the street. They are just luckier.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #140

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
what do you expect the government to do? everytime a government has intervened in that manner, they've created a number of other unforeseen problems.
Doesn't matter what they do, someone will find a reason to complain about how it's ruining their lives. Add a bunch of roadblocks for foreign investment and offshore home buyers to appease all the "I can't afford to live in Vancouver" whiners, next thing the news will be full of sellers crying about how they'll be destitute because their houses haven't been able to sell for market value.

I suspect the market will look after itself nicely either way... it's more just a question of which side of the equation gets all the press.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #141
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
After moving out of Vancouver I now know I will never move back. I grew up in North Van and don't get me wrong I would love to move back there but it makes no sense. The cost of anything there is beyond anything I would ever want to spend. RIP Vancouver. If I were to ever move back down, Chilliwack is where I would probably settle.

Berz out.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #142
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,883 Times in 745 Posts
Quote:
Good.

Gululu is like the wannabe fob version of this guy:

Gululu in a nutshell:
1. Hates Vancouver
2. Hates Canada
3. Hates white people
4. Hates poor people
5. Hates hongers
6. Loves China

Serious question though. There's no denying that you're a "Vancouverite", born and raised, yet you speak of this city as an outsider, full of contempt. What's keeping you here?
Old 05-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #143
Banned (ABWS)

Funny to see that so many people in this thread that own property actually hate it here, talk so much shit and sound depressed about their lives

Meanwhile renters love it here and speak with kind words about Vancouver and are grateful to live in such a beautiful and safe place
Old 05-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #144
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,018 Times in 7,109 Posts
The stress of debt you can't handle can make ANYONE miserable, mortgage, credit card or otherwise.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #145
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Funny to see that so many people in this thread that own property actually hate it here, talk so much shit and sound depressed about their lives

Meanwhile renters love it here and speak with kind words about Vancouver and are grateful to live in such a beautiful and safe place
I have a condo rented out, and wish I never bought it. I currently rent in a nicer part of town and it's way better. It's about the lifestyle, really. I'm happy renting here vs owning and living in Surrey.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #146
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
here's the cheapest house in vancouver for sale . Only $628,000

PatsyHui.com: Your Real Estate Expert

Has a huge right of way which means they really can't build much if it ever burns down.
Also, I believe it's a sewer line underneath.

It will probably sell for above asking. LOL

Not many other houses under $1 million right now. Mostly tear downs on busy streets.
Funny my client was looking at it. He can't justify it given that the storm sewer (at least not crap sewer) under there takes priority if the hose is in need of repairs you might be forced to demolish the home for the sewerage.

And yes it was sold well above asking.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #147

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
it's been a while since I've driven into the residential areas in Richmond, are ditches still pretty common?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #148
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Depending on the area. They are more common in the cheaper hoods.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #149
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
Quote:
I think you're a retard for spending the best years of your life working rather than living
I have a very happy work/life ratio, thank you very much. A beautiful wife and three children to enjoy it with as well. #feelsgoodman

I'm just saying that choosing to make ~150k less per annum to live an extra 6 hours a day as a "hipster" is fucking retarded. Make that money now and do less when you're older and less capable. If I were your dad I would smack you. Fuck, even if I was just a friend I would bitch slap you for making a decision like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #150
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

I'm just saying that choosing to make ~150k less per annum to live an extra 6 hours a day as a "hipster" is fucking retarded.

Just because you peaked early doesn't mean everyone will

Life keeps getting better and easier, why would I want to work MORE?