REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #201
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
decent little spot but 950sq feet for $2700? :/

Lifestyle...

Could get 3000 sq feet in Langley for $1700 but then:

1. No bike lanes
2. Chain stores
3. Drive everywhere
4. Bland people
5. Anonymous community due to size

etc etc

Pros:

1. Can work on own car
2. Big yard for dog
3. Large house
4. Quiet

Living right in Granville Island would be freakin' sweeeeeeet!!!
Advertisement
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #202
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts

lol coincidence? i think not.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #203
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,075 Posts
I find it funny how multi considers owning land to be for "status" yet approves of $2700 penthouse for "lifestyle".

I'm not denying penthouses are awesome, they are, but owning a house in the burbs is far less about status compared to renting a DT penthouse if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #204
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
I find it funny how multi considers owning land to be for "status" yet approves of $2700 penthouse for "lifestyle".

I'm not denying penthouses are awesome, they are, but owning a house in the burbs is far less about status compared to renting a DT penthouse if you ask me.

Fair enough, let me counter that:

1. 200k down on a house in Vancouver, 10k left in savings and a 700k mortgage = high status for owning in Vancouver but lifestyle can be hamstrung due to location, responsibilities, lack of community of similar people

Still, a proud achievement for many to say "I own this land, bitch! Get off my lawn!"

2. 210k in the bank still, renting $2,700 condo = low status for renting but high on style and connected via close proximity to great food, night life, bike lanes, more likely to have a community of like-minded people, low on responsibilities of home maintenance allowing for focus on other things, hobbies, travel

Having a lot of money on paper never really interests me, having a lot of experiences within a highly dynamic lifestyle does!

Some people really get off on having a lot more stuff and status than other people.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #205
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Fair enough, let me counter that:

1. 200k down on a house in Vancouver, 10k left in savings and a 700k mortgage = high status for owning in Vancouver but lifestyle can be hamstrung due to location, responsibilities, lack of community of similar people

Still, a proud achievement for many to say "I own this land, bitch! Get off my lawn!"

2. 210k in the bank still, renting $2,700 condo = low status for renting but high on style and connected via close proximity to great food, night life, bike lanes, more likely to have a community of like-minded people, low on responsibilities of home maintenance allowing for focus on other things, hobbies, travel

Having a lot of money on paper never really interests me, having a lot of experiences within a highly dynamic lifestyle does!

Some people really get off on having a lot more stuff and status than other people.
Lol I don't think paying almost 3k a month in rent will make anyone think you are "low status".

Low status would be living in a cardboard box and snorting 3k worth of coke every month.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #206
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,900 Times in 3,864 Posts
Quote:
bike lanes
Mofo this is a car forum.

Quote:
hobbies
Depends on the type of hobbies you have, many of mine would not be viable if I was renting an apartment. You end up SOL if you want to do anything that requires more than a storage locker worth of space.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #207
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Lol I don't think paying almost 3k a month in rent will make anyone think you are "low status".

A lot of people who own property will look at you as a "faker" because you can't actually afford to buy. Social circles are often majority renters or owners, not very common to have "mixed" groups. Believe it or not!
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #208
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Mofo this is a car forum.

Biking keeps the weight off, you can take the spare tire out of your trunk OR exercise and lose 20 lbs on Moonbeam's bike lanes.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #209
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,162 Times in 2,400 Posts
Multicartual needs to get his hands on this guy: Choices ? Greater Fool ? Authored by Garth Turner ? The Troubled Future of Real Estate

Quote:
Josh is 28, single, gainfully employed ($125,000 a year) but lacks the one thing he says would make him a chick magnet. “No house. But I want to change that.”

He rents for $1,250 a month, has no debts, and is looking to buy a $300,000 townhouse in a distant GTA suburb. “My assets are $30,000 saved in my TFSA and $25,000 in an RRSP. Plus I have a few thousand in a locked-in account from an old job. So,” he asks, “is it a mistake to buy?”
Imagine the coke-fueled, STD-ridden possibilities...
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #210

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Quote:

Buying property is so overrated, it is a status symbol more than anything
LOL!!!! you keep believing that but you are wrong.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #211
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
LOL!!!! you keep believing that but you are wrong.
In the very recent past it has been certainly true, owning a house was a solid investment and a necessity for "adulthood"

Now, I believe, people are willing to trade ownership for lifestyle.

Quote:
Imagine the coke-fueled, STD-ridden possibilities...

Life on the edge is -incredibly- fun, just don't fall off!
Old 05-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #212
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
In the very recent past it has been certainly true, owning a house was a solid investment and a necessity for "adulthood"

Now, I believe, people are willing to trade ownership for lifestyle.
Don't lie to yourself. People are just priced out because property prices and income growth are just disproportional.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #213
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Don't lie to yourself. People are just priced out because property prices and income growth are just disproportional.

Oh fuck yeah, I'd need to make 250k a year before I could begin to afford a million dollar mortgage.

There is hardly anything nice enough under 1 million to WANT to buy.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #214
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhdeh View Post
lol mainlanders
Putting the 'Mainland' in 'Lower Mainland'
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #215

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
lol @ blaming mainlanders for your own short comings
they just know how to play the game

boooooohoooooooooo i can't live in in the city i grew up in... waaaaahhhhhhhhh

you think those mainlanders got to where they are at by staying in their own village?

fucking self entitled people ... you can't afford living somewhere you want? then use your brain and make something out of your self

the people complaining don't have what it takes to make it anyways

Last edited by EmperorIS; 05-26-2015 at 05:46 PM.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #216
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Imagine if they kept that 100k in the bank and, you know, lived their lives while renting a BEAUTIFUL PENTHOUSE at the Waterfall building?

2 Level Penthouse + Private Rooftop @ The Waterfall Building

Buying property is so overrated, it is a status symbol more than anything
We almost bought a penthouse for $1.05m in one of those Cambie corridor buildings. 1000 sq ft with 750 sq ft roof top.

The lifestyle/idea/location is great (close to everything) but I really want land instead.

With a 30 year $800k mortgage, I would need to rent it out for at least $3300 to breakeven. That's if we have more than 1 kid and outgrow the place.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #217
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Looking to buy a place soon, looking in downtown Van is depressing.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #218
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
At least we are only in 10th place.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #219
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Even with a combined salary of 150-160ish?
Two professionals in middle management level jobs (or trades) can make $70-80k easy. That's approx $8000 per month of combines net income. You are telling me that can't support a mortgage of a $700k mortgage (200k down payment). Btw no sarcasm here.. Honest question.
I threw out that number earlier in the thread too, but it all depends on what the couples's expenses are outside of the mortgage.

If the couple is early in their child rearing years, 1/3 or 1/2 of one spouse's salary could easily be eaten up by childcare costs. With the tax system now, it almost makes sense if one spouse stays at home because of income-splitting.

If the couple doesn't have some kind of RRSP plan or pension plan, they should aim to save 10-15% of their net income. They also need to save for their kids' RESPs which would be 5 grand a year (if they want to get the maximum grant). Insurance is also another thing they need to think about - residence, life, and critical illness. Insurance could easily be several hundred dollars a month if they have pre-existing medical conditions, or a family history. Finally, vehicle costs will likely be several hundred dollars a month, even if they lease something mundane, like a Toyota Rav 4 or Kia Sorrento. Or, I guess they could squeeze in two convertible car seats into a 1990s Honda Accord.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #220
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post

you think those mainlanders got to where they are at by staying in their own village?

fucking self entitled people ... you can't afford living somewhere you want? then use your brain and make something out of your self

The problem is that there ARE people who "use their brain", i.e., new doctors, lawyers, who are making six figure incomes who can't afford to live here. There was a big thing about it on social media about this exact thing a while back, and while obviously not everyone is being realistic with what they want, you can't honestly say that it is natural and good for Canadians that a single-family detached home will cost around a million dollars.

MY personal issue is that the government is sitting on its hands and knows the problem exists, but refuse to label it as a problem and let things get worse. The role of a government is to look after its own citizens and intervene when citizens are getting fucked over. That is the whole point of why citizenship is even important in the first place. Nearly every first-world country has strict foreign ownership laws (ironically, even China has them) and Canada is seriously lacking in that department.

You may not think it is a good thing for people to live near where they work, but basic logic dictates that this is a good thing.. less pollution, less congestion,
better quality of life, etc... maybe it's not a basic right but it shouldn't be mandatory to be making more than double Canada's average income to live within an hour of work (rush hour commute).

At the end of the day, if nobody in the lower snack bracket can afford to live in the GVRD what happens to all of the service industry? You may not think lower-class, young people etc are important but good luck going to a restaurant, getting coffee, even the people that work on your car, educate your children, take out your garbage, or do your landscaping ultimately won't be able to live here and those services are going to be quite rare...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #221
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post

Yes coz making money while fucking your own ppl is what we all should do. Lets all produce poisonous mike powder for our babies to use, lets all produce fake eggs, cancer causing cooking oil, let's sell rotten meat as new and the list goes on. Or better yet let's hire thousand of workers and make them work for next to nothing and if they go on strike I just have to police beat them till they listen coz I have the gov paid off.

Or what about the corruption going on where gov officials take brides from developers and manufacturers to turn a blind eye. If anyone go against it let's just lock them them or beat them to death. How about let's see apartments that's lacking the building code so that it will fall any sec.

But hey who cares about others as long as I am making the money I can totally discard human life and who cares about polluting my own country coz I got the $$$ now when my own country is all polluted and the air quality is so bad people have to wear a gas mask out, I will just move to Canada and start the cycle again.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #222
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
I agree with everything you just posted, but don't fool yourself by limiting it to mainlanders. There are just as many subhuman Canadians fucking peoples lives up to steal every last penny they can to live the rich lifestyle, it's just slightly less flagrant here.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 PM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Yes coz making money while fucking your own ppl is what we all should do. Lets all produce poisonous mike powder for our babies to use, lets all produce fake eggs, cancer causing cooking oil, let's sell rotten meat as new and the list goes on. Or better yet let's hire thousand of workers and make them work for next to nothing and if they go on strike I just have to police beat them till they listen coz I have the gov paid off.

Or what about the corruption going on where gov officials take brides from developers and manufacturers to turn a blind eye. If anyone go against it let's just lock them them or beat them to death. How about let's see apartments that's lacking the building code so that it will fall any sec.

But hey who cares about others as long as I am making the money I can totally discard human life and who cares about polluting my own country coz I got the $$$ now when my own country is all polluted and the air quality is so bad people have to wear a gas mask out, I will just move to Canada and start the cycle again.

lol you need to get your head out of the western propaganda machine

the shit you said shows you know very little of China let alone its economy. Yes, China have its problems with labor issues but literally so did every growing nation in the world. Its not like these Chinese companies purposely produce bad products to get people sick, but to stay competitive they had to cut down on certain cost.

Is it right? No. But they don't have a choice. China has to stay cheap in order to keep growing. China almost didn't even have a middle class 20 years ago so there will be sacrifices during people's upwards mobility. Same thing happen in Europe and the same thing happened in North America.

You can't think outside the box because you were taught to see China/communism as the evil nation that wants to take down western society and this translate on to how you view foreign Chinese investors.

Not every Chinese nationalist coming here stepped on its own people to get here. In fact, it is more than likely its WESTERN companies hiring Chinese workers on a razor thin margin to produce their products that is forcing them to keep wages and quality of life down.

Learn a thing or two first before you start judging with prejudice glasses. Western companies are likely just as evil as you see the Chinese companies, they just know how to hide it better.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #224

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Old 05-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
The problem is that there ARE people who "use their brain", i.e., new doctors, lawyers, who are making six figure incomes who can't afford to live here. There was a big thing about it on social media about this exact thing a while back, and while obviously not everyone is being realistic with what they want, you can't honestly say that it is natural and good for Canadians that a single-family detached home will cost around a million dollars.

MY personal issue is that the government is sitting on its hands and knows the problem exists, but refuse to label it as a problem and let things get worse. The role of a government is to look after its own citizens and intervene when citizens are getting fucked over. That is the whole point of why citizenship is even important in the first place. Nearly every first-world country has strict foreign ownership laws (ironically, even China has them) and Canada is seriously lacking in that department.

You may not think it is a good thing for people to live near where they work, but basic logic dictates that this is a good thing.. less pollution, less congestion,
better quality of life, etc... maybe it's not a basic right but it shouldn't be mandatory to be making more than double Canada's average income to live within an hour of work (rush hour commute).

At the end of the day, if nobody in the lower snack bracket can afford to live in the GVRD what happens to all of the service industry? You may not think lower-class, young people etc are important but good luck going to a restaurant, getting coffee, even the people that work on your car, educate your children, take out your garbage, or do your landscaping ultimately won't be able to live here and those services are going to be quite rare...
I totally agree with you.

I do think its important for people to live close to where they work, in fact, I am currently finding it hard looking for a place for myself. But these are the sacrifices I have to evaluate for comfort. I can't expect that "because I work there, I demand to live close to there" attitude. It is a luxury. Whether you can afford that luxury is a different story.

Yes, people living farther away can cause congestion and pollution, and that's why Vancouver needs that Yes vote for more and better public transit (this is another debate). If the public transit was sufficient, it wouldn't matter that much to live that close to work. People can spread out more, move to and develop new communities and perhaps even business and work will follow them. At that point, if people are willing to move out more, housing prices will start to balance itself as demand for high density areas goes down.
This post thanked by: