REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   Late Night Talk Shows (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703496-late-night-talk-shows.html)

CaptainSigFig 05-21-2015 09:33 PM

Late Night Talk Shows

Looked around and couldn't find anything related, so why not start one?

Doesn't matter if it's British, Asian, American, or anywhere else. Which one appeals to you most?

Sucks that Letterman's out of the game now :okay:

jonwon 05-21-2015 09:44 PM

1. Conan
2. Kimmel

the end.

knight604 05-21-2015 09:45 PM

1.Conan
2.fallon

StylinRed 05-21-2015 10:35 PM

I was a Ferguson & Leno/Letterman fan (Conan really went downhill for me after he left Late Night)

and now that all 3 of those are gone :/ don't really have anything to watch

James Corden is okay he copies the Graham Norton show from the UK, and that is an alright show too (watch it off of the PS4 BBC app)

CaptainSigFig 05-21-2015 11:22 PM

Conan's still alright to me, it's the random shit he does that makes it his show i guess :P

ScizzMoney 05-21-2015 11:25 PM

1. Conan: Seems best at getting the most out of his guests over age 30.
2. Kimmel: Funniest of the bunch as far as being a comedian goes, in my opinion.
3. Seth Meyers: Didn't like him much at first but he is getting a lot better. I like how he has a lot of musical acts.
4. John Oliver (not nightly though)
5. Fallon: Getting kind of tired of the 'Check out what crazy hi-jinx this celeb is getting up to!'.

I think Fallon's formula is gonna stick around too because it makes for good youtube views. The way of late night talk shows is slowly getting killed off as the older guys retire. :okay:

SkinnyPupp 05-21-2015 11:36 PM

To me it's an outdated premise. The conversations are always phony and rarely interesting. Skits can be funny, but those always get posted to youtube anyway, so that's fine.

j.f0ng 05-21-2015 11:47 PM

Graham Norton is my favourite in terms of host/guest conversation. Nothing better than putting a bunch of celebrities together and just watching them bounce the conversation off of each other.

jonwon 05-22-2015 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScizzMoney (Post 8639190)
1. Conan: Seems best at getting the most out of his guests over age 30.
2. Kimmel: Funniest of the bunch as far as being a comedian goes, in my opinion.
3. Seth Meyers: Didn't like him much at first but he is getting a lot better. I like how he has a lot of musical acts.
4. John Oliver (not nightly though)
5. Fallon: Getting kind of tired of the 'Check out what crazy hi-jinx this celeb is getting up to!'.

I think Fallon's formula is gonna stick around too because it makes for good youtube views. The way of late night talk shows is slowly getting killed off as the older guys retire. :okay:

Don't worry, I think we still have another 20 years of Conan

ScizzMoney 05-22-2015 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8639194)
..The conversations are always phony and rarely interesting..

I completely agree with 1/2 of the guests that get forced upon these hosts. The other half are guests who the host actually knows and they get right into normal feeling conversation. A great example would be Ferguson with a guest like Allison Brie or Kristen Bell. Or Letterman with 90% of Hollywood. Conan with Burr. Seth with Poehler. etc. etc.

SkinnyPupp 05-22-2015 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScizzMoney (Post 8639217)
I completely agree with 1/2 of the guests that get forced upon these hosts. The other half are guests who the host actually knows and they get right into normal feeling conversation. A great example would be Ferguson with a guest like Allison Brie or Kristen Bell. Or Letterman with 90% of Hollywood. Conan with Burr. Seth with Poehler. etc. etc.

Imagine how much better those examples would be if they were on a free form podcast rather than an 8 minute conversation with commercial breaks?

StylinRed 05-22-2015 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.f0ng (Post 8639202)
Graham Norton is my favourite in terms of host/guest conversation. Nothing better than putting a bunch of celebrities together and just watching them bounce the conversation off of each other.

you might like James Corden then, he took Fergusons spot when Ferg retired, as mentioned he copied Norton, he brings out all his guests at once like Norton and just chats

rsx 05-22-2015 04:53 AM

Graham Norton is probably the most fun talk show. He usually gets a bunch of stars on the couch too, not just one dude. So their interaction alone is hilarious.

I suggest the Seth Macfarlane, Monster girl, Tom Cruise and the actress in the Salmon Fishing.

jeedee 05-22-2015 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8639220)
Imagine how much better those examples would be if they were on a free form podcast rather than an 8 minute conversation with commercial breaks?

Joe Rogan podcast FTW

nns 05-22-2015 07:07 AM

Fallon's fake laugh is so obvious and distracting.

urrh 05-22-2015 11:06 AM

i loved ferguson. he became my #1 when conan was hoping networks

CaptainSigFig 05-22-2015 12:16 PM

You can't really blame coco though. NBC took most of his bits when he got sacked

dlo 05-22-2015 01:46 PM

conan, kimmel and fallon are my favs haha

white rocket 05-22-2015 02:11 PM

I like Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show. He's got good charisma and always has a good time. The history of rap with JT is just spectacular. He's got The Roots as his band for fucks sake! Don't get much better than that.

ae101 05-26-2015 10:28 PM

for all u hongers out there

johnson lee's "SZE u tonight" its pretty funny, getting the american late night talk show thing & bring it over to HK

604STIG 05-27-2015 08:48 AM

Sucks big time that Letterman is gone now, but out of the remaining Kimmel is the funniest by far, and like Letterman, isn't scared to call celebs out on whatever controversial issues they have.

blkgsr 05-27-2015 11:24 AM

ya atleast kimmel makes fun of that pussy bieber

Hondaracer 05-27-2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8639194)
To me it's an outdated premise. The conversations are always phony and rarely interesting. Skits can be funny, but those always get posted to youtube anyway, so that's fine.

no late night has even been remotely funny for the last 10 years

SNL is like..who fucking watches this garbage or finds it remotely entertaining?

ScizzMoney 05-27-2015 08:28 PM

In my opinion the premise is only 'old' to the internet generation (whether you're 15 or 45, if you are net savvy, your attention span is probably not what a non net user's is). My father who is almost 70 still loved Letterman and likes that format. I for one, still enjoy watching the late night shows. The only times I don't is when they have a guest that I don't care about because like others have mentioned the interviews are way too forced half the time.

If you are looking to hear good interviews you should start listening to Howard Stern. A lot of people can't stand him but you cannot deny how great of an interviewer he is. He is able to get a lot out of people because he is able to spend a good amount of time with his guests and just knows how to guide a conversation.

SkinnyPupp 05-27-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScizzMoney (Post 8641391)
In my opinion the premise is only 'old' to the internet generation (whether you're 15 or 45, if you are net savvy, your attention span is probably not what a non net user's is). My father who is almost 70 still loved Letterman and likes that format. I for one, still enjoy watching the late night shows. The only times I don't is when they have a guest that I don't care about because like others have mentioned the interviews are way too forced half the time.

If you are looking to hear good interviews you should start listening to Howard Stern. A lot of people can't stand him but you cannot deny how great of an interviewer he is. He is able to get a lot out of people because he is able to spend a good amount of time with his guests and just knows how to guide a conversation.

What? The format is too short, not too long.