REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #51
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Also recently switched from Chev 94 to Shell 91 on my wrx and noticed similar results. Motor just responds better to Shell for some reason.
Advertisement
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #52
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Just hope Shell did a lot of testing this time. Because 2002 they changed there formula the messed up a lot of cars.
I almost forgot about that, their stupid gas killed my moms fuel pump, my grandfathers, my great uncles, and the one in my first car before I bought it. I know they paid to fix a lot of peoples car, I wonder what the total cost to them was?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #53
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Because the base gas is the same. If you thing adding some additives makes a big difference there's companies that are willing to sell you bottles full of stuff.

Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines - Canada

When a person opens up his flap to get gas it's says something like Premium fuel only. So why would someone driving a 3 series BMW pay more for Nitro. People using an app like gas buddy would never got to a shell for premium fuel.

Shell Nitro just adds more cleaning agents that they claim will clean thing like your fuel injectors. Why not just just add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner ever 6 months or so?
Because it's 3 cents/litre difference between everyone else's 91 and Nitro+? For the average person driving my car (20000 km/year, average 8.5 L/100 km), that's like $50/year (less than $1/week) ...

Cheap shit fuel injector cleaner is $5/bottle, net savings of $40/year ... Good fuel injector cleaner is $20/bottle, net savings of $10/year ...

If I were that fucking cheap, I'd be driving a Geo Metro, not a BMW ...
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #54

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Because it's 3 cents/litre difference between everyone else's 91 and Nitro+? For the average person driving my car (20000 km/year, average 8.5 L/100 km), that's like $50/year (less than $1/week) ...

Cheap shit fuel injector cleaner is $5/bottle, net savings of $40/year ... Good fuel injector cleaner is $20/bottle, net savings of $10/year ...

If I were that fucking cheap, I'd be driving a Geo Metro, not a BMW ...
Why not just take your fuel injectors out and give them a proper cleaning if they are so clogged up.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #55

Quote:
Why not just take your fuel injectors out and give them a proper cleaning if they are so clogged up.
Why not spend $50/year doing preventive maintenance on your vehicle that requires no additional work since you need to fill your gas tank up anyways?
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #56
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Just went to Shell the other day. The gas attendant said their new 91 Nitro has WD40 added in it to prevent rust....
PLUJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Why not spend $50/year doing preventive maintenance on your vehicle that requires no additional work since you need to fill your gas tank up anyways?
Because it's not needed. All gas sold in Canada meets or exceeds manufactures requirements. If other gas was bad for your car and was clogging up injectors the company selling it would be sued. It's mostly just marketing. When Shell changed the name to V power people thought it was a new gas as one RS member put it "chocked full of detergents" but it was the same gas as before. They just changed the name because all the other countries where using the V power name.

Shell Nitro may be better but it's not needed and your car will run fine without it.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #58

On a side note from my understanding adding nitrogen (nitro) and oxygen to a car will make you burn more gas and you may blow the welds on your intake.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #59

Quote:
Because it's not needed. All gas sold in Canada meets or exceeds manufactures requirements. If other gas was bad for your car and was clogging up injectors the company selling it would be sued. It's mostly just marketing. When Shell changed the name to V power people thought it was a new gas as one RS member put it "chocked full of detergents" but it was the same gas as before. They just changed the name because all the other countries where using the V power name.

Shell Nitro may be better but it's not needed and your car will run fine without it.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4197860/
E15 and Engines - Can Ethanol Damage my Engine

Shell V-Power NiTRO+ FAQs - Canada

Quote:
Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline in Canada does not contain ethanol.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:37 PM   #60

snopes.com: E15 Gasoline

Ethanol Fuel - Ethanol Blended Gasoline | Esso

Quote:
Gasoline with ethanol will not affect vehicle performance

Gasoline with 10% ethanol is approved for use in all automotive vehicles manufactured in Canada since the early 1980s and will perform properly. We recommend checking with the manufacturer and consulting your warranty before using ethanol blended gasoline in small engines.*
Old 06-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #61
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,293 Times in 2,508 Posts
Despite manufacturer and gas companys' claims, I think there are enough anecdotal evidence out there to support how certain vehicles run poorer when they use ethanol blended fuel. It's no different than the recurring theme of this thread, with many of us reporting how Shell's 91 octane performs better than Chevron 91 (or even 94).
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #62
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
so the RS concensus-> shell 91 is better than chebron 94, no ifs buts, etc..
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #63
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,497 Times in 4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
Please...

Quote:
It's all the same shit.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #64
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,293 Times in 2,508 Posts
^^ Lemme put it this way, at least of number of us have described how their cars are able to knock less and produce higher power (measure on a dyno) with Shell 91 compared to Chevron 94. I have no reason to suspect that they are lying or making shxt up, so at least in these cases, Shell 91 is the higher performing gas.

On the other hand, we do not have anyone reporting that they are able to produce less knock and higher hp with Chevron 94 compared to Shell 91 yet.

I would not take it as a universal truth that Shell 91 is "better" than Chevron 94. But there is certainly circumstantial evidence to suggest it is.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #65

And yet Esso Premium is ethanol-free and many of the automobile manufacturers filed a lawsuit in regards to ethanol content being too high.

Why automakers took up ethanol with the Supreme Court

Quote:
Five manufacturers -- BMW, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota and Volkswagen -- have explicitly said that their warranties do not cover E15 claims. Another eight -- GM, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo -- have said that E15 may void warranties because it is not authorized for use in owners’ manuals, according to the AAA, which has also warned drivers about the risk posed by E15.

Oh, and the use of E15 “will place automobile manufacturers at substantial risk of engaging in a massive recall,” perhaps including millions of vehicles made after 2001, the petition adds.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #66
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Chevron mixes 87 and 94 to get their mid grade fuels.
The ratios are:
89 : 70% 87 - 30% 94
91 : 41% 87 - 59% 94
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #67

Quote:
And yet Esso Premium is ethanol-free and many of the automobile manufacturers filed a lawsuit in regards to ethanol content being too high.

Why automakers took up ethanol with the Supreme Court
We are talking about Canada not the US.

Ethanol Fuel - Ethanol Blended Gasoline | Esso

Quote:
How much ethanol is in regular gasoline?

Almost all regular gasoline now has some ethanol in it. Our Esso branded gasoline ethanol level never exceeds 10%. Gasoline with 10% ethanol content is known as E10, and with 15% ethanol it’s known as E15. Ethanol flex fuel (formerly known as E85) has between 51% and 83% ethanol, with the remainder being gasoline. All gasoline vehicles can use E10. E15 is only appropriate for use in flex fuel vehicles or a very small percentage of the newest vehicles. Anything higher than E15 ethanol content is only appropriate in flex fuel vehicles. Check your owner’s manual to find out what your vehicle needs.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
Butt dynos don't count.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #69
RS Veteran

Why does it not count when you clearly stated "it's all the same shit?"

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 06-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #70
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Butt dynos don't count.
agree..

anyone here who data logs.. wanna do a test? i'll paypal you $2.50 (but you gotta eat the 3%) towards your tank of gas
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #71
RS Veteran

You fucking troll shit...

Old 06-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #72
RS Veteran

Thank goodness I ride a bike. None of this polluting nonsense of ethanol and ethics.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Why does it not count when you clearly stated "it's all the same shit?"
Because the base gas all comes from the same refinery.

Something funny

Years ago Ferrari recommended Shell Helix oil at 80 bux a litre. Now they recommend Quaker State that costs 5 bux litre at Walmart. Both made by the same company.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #74
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Going from Chevron 91 to Shell 91 just last week, seems like my car runs smoother, more powerful, and better fuel economy.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #75
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Are we really having a conversation in here that Shell 91 makes a car go faster than Chevron 91?

Might as well start the conversation on how MOTUL makes a car go faster than Mobil 1.

People need to stop making shit up.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: