REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Shell 91 nitro+ vs. chevron 94

shell 91 nitro just got introduced here in kamloops. Anyone know how it is? I've Been a chevron fanboy. Both my wrx and tundra are tuned to 94 octane. But this new 91 nitro has a 99 Ron rating whereas chevron 94 only has a 98 Ron rating. Would love some info if someone is informed as I am pretty clueless when it comes to the complexities of fuel
Advertisement
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/68154...dien-fuel.html might help your question?
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
It all comes out of the same refinery with different additives, the difference you'll see would be minute.

From what I see, the main selling point of Nitro is engine cleaning, not an increase in octane or performance, best stick with the 94 if that is what you're tuned for.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
GO FLAMES GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post

from that thread if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triballurker View Post
This is kind of an interesting read. Its off of the Petro site. Maybe 91 with ethanol will offer more knock resistance.

Why is ethanol an effective octane booster?

The octane number written on the gas pump is Anti-Knock Index (AKI). It’s an average of two octane ratings using the same test equipment but using different operating conditions. The methods produce a Research Octane number (RON) and a Motor Octane Number (MON). Both were once considered important and that’s why AKI is an average of the two. With modern engines and fuels systems, recent studies have shown that RON is more important than MON. So in these cars, the higher the RON the better these cars perform. For an AKI rating of 91 the lower the MON the higher the RON. This difference is called sensitivity. All gasoline components have different sensitivity. Most hydrocarbon components have low sensitivity. Ethanol has high sensitivity and so, modern performance cars benefit from gasolines with ethanol. Why does ethanol have higher sensitivity? One reason is related to the cooler combustion that results from ethanol combustion. Higher knock tendency is directly related to higher combustion temperature.
Here is a comparison of two fuels with different octane with and without ethanol.

91 Grade - no ethanol
RON 97.2
MON 85.6

Ultra 94 - with ethanol
RON 101.5
MON 88

Notice the difference in RON number from 91 grade without ethanol (97.2) and the RON of Ultra 94 (101.5). The difference is 4.3 numbers. That is significantly more than the 3 numbers difference between 94 and 91 AKI labelled on the pump. That is why gasoline with ethanol can be the best performance fuel for today's cars.

looks like RON is the better number to go by for modern vehicles not the AKI octane rating on the pump, which would mean you should get better performance from Shell 91 than Chevron 94, which is also cheaper as well.

VIDEO BASED ON RON OCTANE, not AKI(north american) OCTANE

So based on the research Chevron 94(98RON) has less performance results than Shell 91(99RON). it boils down to if you like Techron or Nitrogen additives, as performance goes to Shell 91 Nitro+

I think ill switch the WRX and tundra over to Shell Nitro+, easy and free for me
Club-Integra.net OG

Last edited by Tegra_Devil; 05-26-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Don't think Shell 91 nitro+ is cheaper than Chevron 94. I filled up two days ago and there was $0.19 bump compared to regular gas, $1.339 vs $1.529.

If I remember correctly, isn't Chevron 94 about $0.14 more than regular?

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
GO FLAMES GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibuddha View Post
Don't think Shell 91 nitro+ is cheaper than Chevron 94. I filled up two days ago and there was $0.19 bump compared to regular gas, $1.339 vs $1.529.

If I remember correctly, isn't Chevron 94 about $0.14 more than regular?
you are correct. they are the same price in kamloops right now actually. 129.9/L for both

guess it also boils down to Airmiles or Save-on Points lol
Club-Integra.net OG
Old 05-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
If your car is not tuned for 94 stick with 91 if your car requires premium.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #8

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
So based on the research Chevron 94(98RON) has less performance results than Shell 91(99RON).
I can't watch the video atm, but how do they compare in terms of real world knock prevention in a boosted vehicle?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #9
GO FLAMES GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I can't watch the video atm, but how do they compare in terms of real world knock prevention in a boosted vehicle?
they mostly tested on how ROM octane levels improve performance in cars without a tune and vehicles automatically adjusting to the fuel.

it shows that a base model joe blow car wont see any improvement. but cars in the level of a GTI and STI get performance improvements.

So basically, if your looking for performance on a semi-sportscar or full sportscar, you will get better results based on ROM levels compared to (north american AKI octane levels)

But to answer your question, the higher the RON rating the less likely you are to pre-ignite or detonate (remember fuels in north america use the AKI rating, so an 89 AKI octane could have a higher RON rating than a 94 AKI octane, because AKI averages out your RON and MON. you could have a high MON and low RON which will show you a high AKI octane, or a fuel could have a high RON and low MON, which would be the better fuel to choose as you always want the higher RON. RON maxes out at 100 for conventional automotive fuel(not included is race fuel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If your car is not tuned for 94 stick with 91 if your car requires premium.
the wrx is currently being fine tuned for chev 94 octane through Clark Turner tuning on my Cobb AP, ive been data logging for him and he has been tweaking. But he has been saying today that we should try Shell 91 because of the RON rating and see if we can squeeze a tiny, tiny bit more out.

The tundra auto tunes via the BullyDog tuner based on what fuel is in the system
Club-Integra.net OG

Last edited by Tegra_Devil; 05-26-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #10
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I'm getting confused here with contradicting theories.
the MON number you want to be higher, not RON.
RON is done at idle(600rpm) while MON is done under load with higher rpm (900rpm)

Quote:
Research Octane Number (RON)
The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.

Motor Octane Number (MON)
Another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), is determined at 900 rpm engine speed instead of the 600 rpm for RON.[1] MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern pump gasoline will be about 8 to 12 octane lower than the RON, but there is no direct link between RON and MON. Pump gasoline specifications typically require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.
but then you have petro-can here saying RON is more important:
Quote:
Why is ethanol an effective octane booster?

The octane number written on the gas pump is Anti-Knock Index (AKI). It’s an average of two octane ratings using the same test equipment but using different operating conditions. The methods produce a Research Octane number (RON) and a Motor Octane Number (MON). Both were once considered important and that’s why AKI is an average of the two. With modern engines and fuels systems, recent studies have shown that RON is more important than MON. So in these cars, the higher the RON the better these cars perform. For an AKI rating of 91 the lower the MON the higher the RON. This difference is called sensitivity. All gasoline components have different sensitivity. Most hydrocarbon components have low sensitivity. Ethanol has high sensitivity and so, modern performance cars benefit from gasolines with ethanol. Why does ethanol have higher sensitivity? One reason is related to the cooler combustion that results from ethanol combustion. Higher knock tendency is directly related to higher combustion temperature.
Here is a comparison of two fuels with different octane with and without ethanol.

91 Grade - no ethanol
RON 97.2
MON 85.6
Ultra 94 - with ethanol
RON 101.5
MON 88

Notice the difference in RON number from 91 grade without ethanol (97.2) and the RON of Ultra 94 (101.5). The difference is 4.3 numbers. That is significantly more than the 3 numbers difference between 94 and 91 AKI labelled on the pump. That is why gasoline with ethanol can be the best performance fuel for today's cars.
from here:FAQs ? Questions, Answers, Octane, Gasoline Basics ? Petro-Canada

somebody wanna clear it up?

from my experience running 22psi in order of most resistant to knock:
1.92 chevron from the US
2.91 shell here
3.94 chevron here
reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ok I've used both and I saw absolutely no fucking difference.

Realistically, you probably need a dyno to see the difference. Just stick to Chevron, presumably they're better gas.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
I STILL don't get it

The difference will be negligible but I've always found shell 91 to be more stable under high load. The knock threshold isn't higher but more consistent where as chevron was less stable under high load. Neither Shell nor Chevron contain ethanol. If you want better performance but are knock limited you should look to spray meth or switch to e85....the latter probably unrealistic because of your location. If it were me I would go with Shell.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Have been wondering the exact same things over the past few weeks. Always was a Chevron guy with all my previous cars, but started using Shell 91 (no ethanol) once I got my Civic Si. Noticed recently that Chevron 94 (also no ethanol) is a few cents cheaper than Shell, but the car is tuned for 91 according to the manual.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #14
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

i always fill up in the states. but when i'm home i use shell because chevron 91 or 94 performs worse then us 92. and shell performs like us 92.

my car has some lag/turbo delay on chevron. a-ok on shell and us 92. i've tried big name us stations and generic ones. no issues there. and it's been 2 years of 95% of all fills in us.

for reference i drive a 01 golf 1.8t with a chip and downpipe.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #15

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
On a side note then, how does Shell 89 compare to everyone else's 91?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #16

I would never get my car tuned for 94 octane in Canada....cause its not 94, stick tuning your car on a 91.
whiteTDIpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I've exclusively used Chevron pretty much my whole life, but this thread has convinced me to give Shell a chance.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #18
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

shell 91 is the only one without ethanol too unless you're willing to fork out extra for chevron's 94.
04 Honda Cbr600rr Racebike - sold
00 Honda S2000 - sold
17 Ford Mustang GT - Traded
18 Volkswagen GTI
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Tuners at MNR told me put in Shell 91 when I took it in for a tune.

They said it is the most reliable gas available here, and also performs the best for my particular car (NA V6).

Keep in mind guys, that octane is actually a retardant, it stabilizes the combustion, but it also slows it down, and lessens the explosion. Therefore higher octane fuel is actually less powerful fuel volume for volume.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #20
GO FLAMES GO

Shifting both vehicles to shell 91 In a week when their tanks are empty
Club-Integra.net OG
Old 05-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #21
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Curious as to how WA's Shell 92 compares to our 91/94, since I pretty much only gas up there.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #22
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Curious as to how WA's Shell 92 compares to our 91/94, since I pretty much only gas up there.
WA 92 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chevron 94

I was tuning for 94 and my max power I could achieve was 348WHP on a mustang dyno. Went across the street to fill Shell 92 in a jerry, and without doing any sort of adjustments, the car made 372 WHP the very next pull.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #23
I STILL don't get it

Nice...your ecu's IAM liked the US Shell
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2015, 01:00 AM   #24

Shell 91 and chevron 94 are priced exactly the same....I think it's safe to say chevron is over compensating their octane rating.
whiteTDIpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:26 AM   #25
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Are they the same? Just filled up on shell 91, $0.20 more than regular. Anyone can confirm on chevron?

Lol I think I only use chevron because of advertising and marketing, and its easily more covenient. In Richmond, there is only 1 shell on garden city and lansdowne, but easily almost 10 chevrons
und3f3at3d is offline   Reply With Quote