REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

RPM electronics HID kit

Hey Guys,

Anyone tried the HID kits from RPM electronics? any experience with this company? Looking to switch from standard halogens to HID in a mercedes.

Hyperion H7 Elite HID System with Integrated Can-Bus Decoder KIT

thanks
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ok so those cheap Chinese HIDs pretty much come from same manufacture. You can probably find them on Alibaba.com or something.

Those companies are not manufacture, more like distributor with their own brand's sticker on it, if that makes sense.

You will get what you paid for and those HIDs last for about 1 year average, if you're lucky maybe 2-3 years.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

go with autolismo.com

local guy with great customer service
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

deleted

Last edited by Aria; 01-18-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I'd go with Morimoto bulbs and ballast, they're probably the best you can buy before getting into OEM quality. RPM electronics should have them if you visit them in store.
ub3rn3wbx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
I don't get it

if you willing to pay some shipping or us currency rate, i hearing good things on ddm hid kits.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
went with morimoto for their projector retrofits. rpm carried there parts locally.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
The biggest difference between the cheap kits and nicer kits is the ballast and the bulbs.
The cheaper kits run a DC ballast while nicer kits like the Morimoto kits run an AC ballast.

Most kits are 35 watts while some claim to be 55 watts. The cheaper kits pump 55 watts into a 35 watt bulb where as the nicer kits will come with a 55 watt bulb.

Slim ballast and DC vs. AC vs. square waveform design ....

I have 2 DDM kits and have yet to try them but the online reviews on them are hit and miss since they come from a factory in China.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

When it comes to aftermarket hids, you can't really beat Morimoto kits. They are the closest to OEM quality when it comes to ballasts and bulbs. I'm using their new xb55 ballast and bulbs in a 3rd gen TL projector and i couldn't be happier with the outcome.
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
rpm does sell morimoto but they dont actually stock them afaik
if you end up buying directly from TRS, it only costs $10usd 2-3 day shipping to your door should your bulbs die on you, FYI if you were considering this option but was worried it'd be too much hassle
i don't have experience with cheap eBay kits or hyperions sold at rpm but i can agree with others that the build quality on the morimoto is superb. I wouldn't worry about it dying prematurely from melting or water damage which seems common with the cheap sets.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 AM   #11
I don't get it

how clean is there install?
evlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:57 AM   #12
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
to be honest, the relay kit for the morimoto's died on me, and i had to replace it. thats how i found out about rpm as they carried morimoto's.

one of the ballasts died on me a month ago. the cost to rma it back for warranty was higher than just buying a seperate one. rpm also carried the morimoto set.

if had cheap sets of hid that lasted longer. but i hope this was an isolated case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
rpm does sell morimoto but they dont actually stock them afaik
if you end up buying directly from TRS, it only costs $10usd 2-3 day shipping to your door should your bulbs die on you, FYI if you were considering this option but was worried it'd be too much hassle
i don't have experience with cheap eBay kits or hyperions sold at rpm but i can agree with others that the build quality on the morimoto is superb. I wouldn't worry about it dying prematurely from melting or water damage which seems common with the cheap sets.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:01 AM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Hyperion 9005 Standard HID System KIT

Got this for my rav4 no more than a month ago. Seems to be very good quality however... can anyone tell if 6000k is supposed to look this white?
Using 35w ballast
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (85.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #14

On my phone it looks like its white with a hint of yellow ~4500k
Old 06-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Looks more like 4300k to me. Usually different brands have slightly different color temperatures, I would understand somewhat if they marketed that as 5000k but 6000k would be too far off. Might as well keep it though, looks more OEM and will light up the roads much better than 6000k

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #16
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
yeah doesn't look 6000k to me
more 4300k-5000k
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

thx guys that's what I thought. I'm happy with it. Its super bright and like limitless said: looks more OEM. OP I guess make sure you are happy with the color - the quality seems very good though
Old 06-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #18
RS.net Licensed Automotive Lighting Vendor

Hi guys!

We are now a RevScene sponsor and can respond to your questions here.

RPM Electronics has been in the HID business since 2010. Since then, we have gone through many different HID products. As previously stated, the cheap Chinese kits are cheap, but they don't last and are unreliable. You MAY get lucky and get one that works for years, but many other aren't so lucky. It is hit or miss.

As a vendor that values its reputation, we are not willing to take that kind of chance selling inferior products. We are proud to offer Hyperion HID systems. The ballasts are manufactured by the factory that makes the Philips XenDrive ballasts. We've gone through 5000 ballasts since their launch here and the defect rate is EXTREMELY low. The cheap HID kits we tried before had defective rates as high as 50% within 1 year. Imagine doing warranty work on that kind of statistic!

As far as Morimoto HID goes, we are their distributor locally. Morimoto has great reputation and their products are great. However, their HID kits are also made in China and we have found that they are not as reliable as our own Hyperion kits. Add the inconvenience of doing warranty work and shipping products back and forth. When you buy Hyperion HID from us, you will get local technical support, immediate warranty replacement, and our in-house guarantee!

We have priced these kits fairly. They are actually priced below market value. Here is another reputable online vendor selling the same kit under a different brand. H1 Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kits

Have a good look at the ballast and you will find that it is the same as Hyperion Elite ballasts. http://www.rpmelectronics.com/auto-l...kit-elite-9007

We don't just sell these kits. We install them and use them for our HID projector retrofit projects. We highly recommend them!

Lastly, I want to clarify the misconception of HID colour temperatures. Many customers think that 6000K is suppose to have a blue tint to it. Yes, colour will vary depending on the manufacturer. However, the quality of the ballast will actually make a bigger difference. When a 6000K bulb is supplied full 35W AC power, it will output a nice pure white light. If you use a 55W ballast on the same 6000K bulb, the colour will drop down to a 4300K-5000K. Now, many of the cheaper kits are advertised as 35W, but realistically they output less due to cheap components. When the same 6000K bulb is supplied power less than 35W, the bulb will output blueish white. The lesser the wattage output, the bluer the bulb will become. A great example is the HID warm up process. The bulb always starts out blue and then gets whiter. The reason for that is it takes some time for the ballast to achieve the full 35W output. It will fire at a lower wattage and steadily increase until it reaches its stable state. The cheaper ballasts will stop before reaching 35W hence producing a blue light.

Now for some pictures. This a Ninja 250R we did a retrofit on. The first pic is with a cheap plug and play 6000K HID kit on factory halogen housing. The second pic is Morimoto Mini H1 projectors running Hyperion H1 HID kit with the same 6000K bulb. You can clearly see the difference in colour.

If you are still not convinced, come visit our store and we will be happy to show you comparisons in person!!

RPM ELECTRONICS - RevScene Licensed Sponsor

7131 Randolph Ave
Burnaby BC V5J 4W5
604-428-0675
sales@rpmelectronics.com
www.rpmelectronics.com

VISA, MasterCard, Interac, and Cash accepted!
gummo604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #19
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

My rpm kit has lasted 3 years with no issues. No flicker and bulbs aren't pink, both balasts still start up together. Although it's a DC kit.
Now I recently bought a set from the guy who sells AC kits in Richmond for $75 found on Craigslist. They also are working great and has a nice oem looking projection/color in my 2015 accord. This seller also sells LED kits for headlights but they cost more
Old 06-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #20
RS.net Licensed Automotive Lighting Vendor

Glad our kits worked well for you. We do not sell DC kits anymore due to hit/miss reliability and poor performance compared to AC. Even AC kits have varied quality as mention in my post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *illegal View Post
My rpm kit has lasted 3 years with no issues. No flicker and bulbs aren't pink, both balasts still start up together. Although it's a DC kit.
Now I recently bought a set from the guy who sells AC kits in Richmond for $75 found on Craigslist. They also are working great and has a nice oem looking projection/color in my 2015 accord. This seller also sells LED kits for headlights but they cost more

RPM ELECTRONICS - RevScene Licensed Sponsor

7131 Randolph Ave
Burnaby BC V5J 4W5
604-428-0675
sales@rpmelectronics.com
www.rpmelectronics.com

VISA, MasterCard, Interac, and Cash accepted!
gummo604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #21
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I just picked up a Hyperion kit yesterday to install into my 4Runner. the quality of even the packaging is nice to see as compares to some other local vendors who just toss parts into mis matched boxes.
haulin oats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #22

I'm glad to see rpm electronics is a sponsor. Hopefully more people ditch the PNP hid kits and retrofit some projectors. It's probably the best modification you can do on older cars.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #23
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
I bought my dash cam from RPM electronics, so I can't comment much on the HID kit but my one transaction with them has been very good.

I bought the dash cam on a Saturday and noticed a switch which wasn't explained in the instruction manual. Called them back the same day to ask what it was, they weren't sure and said they would call the distributor or manufacturer and get back to me on Monday. I thought they would forget about it and it didn't affect anything much about the operation of my dash cam but surprisingly they called back and explained what the switch did.

So overall good experience and I would deal with them again.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote