REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Ireland + Scotland = WTF

I'm usually not the one to post about social issues because we all have our views, but this really caught my attention and blasted my mind.

Ireland same-sex marriage referendum: 'Yes' wins

You are probably aware that last week on may 23, Ireland legalized same sex marriage and the world rejoiced in the name of equality. A win for people who are for and defeat for those against.

Now, what you may or may not know is the fact that just a few hours north and a day later (may 24), the Scotts banned creationism from their science classes. Again, the world rejoice but this time for discrimination. A win for people who are against creationism and a defeat for those for.

Scottish Government: creationism banned from science class

The mind blasting point: does any one else see the irony that has happened in the name of 'equality'?
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
For every winner, there's gonna be losers.

Always give and take.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Shit be cray, all you can do is laugh and slam it in 2nd gear
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I'm usually not the one to post about social issues because we all have our views, but this really caught my attention and blasted my mind.

Ireland same-sex marriage referendum: 'Yes' wins

You are probably aware that last week on may 23, Ireland legalized same sex marriage and the world rejoiced in the name of equality. A win for people who are for and defeat for those against.

Now, what you may or may not know is the fact that just a few hours north and a day later (may 24), the Scotts banned creationism from their science classes. Again, the world rejoice but this time for discrimination. A win for people who are against creationism and a defeat for those for.

Scottish Government: creationism banned from science class

The mind blasting point: does any one else see the irony that has happened in the name of 'equality'?
Banning creationism is not discrimination... WTF? It's the opposite. Why would you teach a religion that specifically says all other religions are bullshit? Why would you teach something that is the opposite of science in a science class?

Creationism has no place in school. Go to church for that.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
People be bitchin and complainin about everything and i'm over here like "I just wanna do skids all day errday".

Last edited by GabAlmighty; 05-28-2015 at 08:04 PM.
GabAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
science class should be based on scientific fact. Any scientific facts to back up creationism?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Why?

A good teacher should be able to discuss the idea that this world is just a battleground for greater spiritual forces. Why not? What's so scary about the various philosophical theories of our existence? Creationism and many other philosophies should be discussed. Fuck I bet I would actually enjoy learning more about other culture's spiritual views.

Solipsism, string theory, creationism, the big bang theory, there are so many interesting and mind-expanding ideas of how we, you and I, came into being.

My understanding is, we are supposedly evolved apes on a ball of dirt and water hurling through space at 50,000 KPH around a massive nuclear fireball in a universe full of other nuclear fireballs. These fireballs are born through gravity condensing material in space into a star which eventually explodes into the material needed to create planets. Black holes are these places that bend what we know as space and time due to their gravity, the event horizon where nothing can escape from. Where does the material that falls into this place go? Is it destroyed? What is destruction really? Energy can only be converted... anyways. We evolved from this shit to the point where I can be a high school dropout making money through a copper wire in the wall that enables me to skirt social conventions and be this free spirit who has free time to observe the shit show around me. Wow, life is fucking insane!!! Holy shit!!! The more I look around the more I think this universe is a spiritual learning ground. For some it is paradise, for others it is hell. I feel like I am in heaven sometimes but I feel guilty for the hell I see right outside of my fucking window. Should I even feel guilty? Maybe if I had a greater understanding of the world I wouldn't feel guilty.

Meanwhile, Justin Bieber exists to have 100 million in the bank and bang supermodels while the dirt poor in India die from a heatwave because they can't stay cool enough. What the fuck?

When you open your mind up to reality, shit gets cray so fast. Understanding various philosophies, IMO, will help prevent mental illness.

Why are very religious countries so fucked up and becoming more fucked up? They have a singular, very rigid understanding of the world that clashes with growing intrusion from outside cultures with different realities.

Why is mental illness on the rise in the west? We have more experiences and knowledge of our world but less understanding of it.

Just the theories of a mullet-douche from Gastown

Holy shit this was such a Ulic post
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Why?

A good teacher should be able to discuss the idea that this world is just a battleground for greater spiritual forces. Why not? What's so scary about the various philosophical theories of our existence? Creationism and many other philosophies should be discussed. Fuck I bet I would actually enjoy learning more about other culture's spiritual views.

Solipsism, string theory, creationism, the big bang theory, there are so many interesting and mind-expanding ideas of how we, you and I, came into being.

My understanding is, we are supposedly evolved apes on a ball of dirt and water hurling through space at 50,000 KPH around a massive nuclear fireball in a universe full of other nuclear fireballs. These fireballs are born through gravity condensing material in space into a star which eventually explodes into the material needed to create planets. Black holes are these places that bend what we know as space and time due to their gravity, the event horizon where nothing can escape from. Where does the material that falls into this place go? Is it destroyed? What is destruction really? Energy can only be converted... anyways. We evolved from this shit to the point where I can be a high school dropout making money through a copper wire in the wall that enables me to skirt social conventions and be this free spirit who has free time to observe the shit show around me. Wow, life is fucking insane!!! Holy shit!!! The more I look around the more I think this universe is a spiritual learning ground. For some it is paradise, for others it is hell. I feel like I am in heaven sometimes but I feel guilty for the hell I see right outside of my fucking window. Should I even feel guilty? Maybe if I had a greater understanding of the world I wouldn't feel guilty.

Meanwhile, Justin Bieber exists to have 100 million in the bank and bang supermodels while the dirt poor in India die from a heatwave because they can't stay cool enough. What the fuck?

When you open your mind up to reality, shit gets cray so fast. Understanding various philosophies, IMO, will help prevent mental illness.

Why are very religious countries so fucked up and becoming more fucked up? They have a singular, very rigid understanding of the world that clashes with growing intrusion from outside cultures with different realities.

Why is mental illness on the rise in the west? We have more experiences and knowledge of our world but less understanding of it.

Just the theories of a mullet-douche from Gastown

Holy shit this was such a Ulic post
He means that it shouldn't be taught in a Science class as a legitimate theory, but it can have its place in Social Studies.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #9

There are plenty of avenues to teach about and discuss creationism/christianity, along with every other religion. Science class is just about the worst place to do so.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

I often think of string theory and the nuclear theory when eating nachos. The idea that every bite of crunchy corn chip with salsa, cheese, guac, and various veggies are mostly just energy shells with tiny nucleus of actual "matter" compared to the electrons that orbit it... what the fuck? All of this somehow works to create this amazing flavour that goes with beer? The taste buds on my tongue send a signal to my brain based on the molecules of the nachos and other substances, this signal interprets it and produces a reaction inside my brain that releases other chemicals that cause another feeling to be perceived by my consciousness. Crazy as fuck right? Wow. Then it goes deeper when you think that at the moment my tongue is tasting food my body is also background processing so many other tasks and information through my eyes, ears, touch... holy fuck so much is going on all the time and yet the only thing I'm aware of right at this moment is typing on Revscene and needing to fart.

So fucked up, the universe is like, here to experience itself. We are all created to observe ourselves.

I should go to college
Old 05-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
There are plenty of avenues to teach about and discuss creationism/christianity, along with every other religion. Science class is just about the worst place to do so.

I disagree. I think it is the best place.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
science class should be based on scientific fact. Any scientific facts to back up creationism?
the irony in your post is ... ...

any SCIENTIFIC facts to back up creationism?

u mean any CREATIONISM FACTS to back up creationism? LOL

don't get me wrong... i am 100% for the pursuit of science...

but the averange numbskull that used to follow religion... now follows science the SAME WAY.

the delusion of science.

watch it. he has a big point.

"i don't BELIEVE in god, i BELIEVE in science"

that's FUCKED.

like the dude says... it's a belief system that has spread just like religion.

"The biggest scientific delusion of all is that science already knows the answers. The details still need working out, but the fundamental questions are settled, in principle."

if you believe and fall into any dogmatic type thinking, even with science, you're just another religious zealot.

creationism... the definition can still be true. but just not the details the creationists here have described.

you go around talking to "science" believers and you can see how dogmatic and idiotic they are. they talk and discuss things... the attitude they give off is dogmatic and religious. as if they KNOW the fundamental essence of existence described by the axioms and dogmatic rules of science... as if those are 100% correct and you just have to accept it.

no man... no.

i'm willing to bet, that a high % of people on this forum, who are non religious, and "follow/believe" in science, are no better than creationists. they are just regurgitating dogmatic axioms. basically they converted to a new religion.

i don't blame them though. i think it's just how the basic human mind works. people just need a set of rules to follow. they're not programmed to be leaders or people that make a real difference. they're just the average worker ant... and average worker ants work best when dictated a set of rules which they can work freely within.

it's not that people try to be idiots. it's that people ARE idiots. LOL.

you need the einsteins and other leaders to discover and dictate NEW set of rules which everyone else plays by. but the leaders and genius's don't have to play by those rules, because they see past that, they are the rule makers. they discover new things. everyone else just follows the past.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Science should be taught in science class, if you want to bring religion into science then speak about the science of religion, or scientific thought found in religion (there is some)

And religion should be taught in religious studies class, where the major religions, at the very least, should all be taught

As for gay marriage or rights that is in no way an attack on religion, they're not forcing those religions to believe in it, they're simply allowing those who are gay equal rights...

I don't see what all the hubbub is about its 2015!! There have even been Muslim countries that have recognized gay rights for half a century+ yet a modern western nation allowing it is causing all sorts of controversy is it backwards day?

Last edited by StylinRed; 05-28-2015 at 09:52 PM.
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
Banning creationism is not discrimination... WTF? It's the opposite. Why would you teach a religion that specifically says all other religions are bullshit? Why would you teach something that is the opposite of science in a science class?

QFT.

I won't profess to be an expert on the subject, but from my experience, there is no science based evidence supporting creationism contrary to evolution.

Also, the subjects you're comparing are apples to eggs IMO. Same sex marriage is a sign of progress and human adaptation/understanding whereas creationism is something the Church has been pushing on people for centuries with no real new theories to support it. If anything, banning the subject in schools is also a sign of progress for reasons SP posted above. Unless I've missed something.. which very well may have happened because:

I'll leave my opinion out on the latter subject and leave it at that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #15
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Alberta creationist discovers rare fish fossils in basement dig - Calgary - CBC News
Old 05-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Creationism != "young-earth creationism".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #18
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Ireland + Scotland = WTF

parents would be able to withdraw there kids when they teach it.
BrownBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 PM   #19
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
That's if you assume creationism is the equal of science.

Religious beliefs have no place in a science classroom. As others have stated, they already have a class: Social Studies.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Creationism != "young-earth creationism".
The point remains, so it doesn't matter.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
parents would be able to withdraw there kids when they teach it.
And when it's on a test. Then what? You going to make a custom test for every student.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #22
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
They got two things right in less then a week, talk about a smart move on all levels. If people don't like it send the kids to private school because creationism does not belong in the public school system at all.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 PM   #23
I subscribe to Revscene

jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 05-28-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Banned from thread
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2015, 10:43 PM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
How are we comparing same-sex marriage rights to creationism?

One is about human civil rights and the other is about governments need for ensuring they do not establish religion...Creationism, although a theory, is heavily dependant on biblical ideas. For a public school to be teaching creationism would be the same as a government supporting/establishing a religion.

At the end of the day, the government has taken the SAME stance for both issues...They have decided not to interfere with public/private religious affairs. Denying same sex marriage and allow creationism to be taught in public schools would be establishing a religion.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:30 AM   #25
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Give the students an A. There's no evidence to back this up. Science is about facts not what a book written hundreds of thousands years ago. Christians pull there kids from sex-ed and other classes they don't like because of their belief, o should be able to do the same
BrownBear is offline   Reply With Quote