REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Vancouver bylaw enforcement prius'

I was waiting for someone outside of my car today on a meter parking spot and didn't pay and one of those bylaw enforcement Prius C drove by so I hop on and left. I saw the car stop by to pull over. n Did they already check with the meters through the cameras on top of the car and knew I didn't pay or am I okay?
Advertisement
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
For what? Worst they'll send me a ticket? Srs question
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
ya, they can send tickets.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:02 AM   #5
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
They were driving a Prius....in daylight!!! Maybe they just didn't want to be seen by anybody ?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbb View Post
I was waiting for someone outside of my car today on a meter parking spot and didn't pay and one of those bylaw enforcement Prius C drove by so I hop on and left. I saw the car stop by to pull over. n Did they already check with the meters through the cameras on top of the car and knew I didn't pay or am I okay?
Camera on top checks license plates(to see if they have any outstanding bylaw tickets to get towed). IF they didn't step out of the car, you should be good. If they did get out and saw your plate and meter unpaid, then chances are you will get a ticket. Most times when they ticket they will be outside of their vehicle.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Lol technology these days I wouldn't be surprised if the city just needs a human to chaperone the computer that does all the work.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Camera on top checks license plates(to see if they have any outstanding bylaw tickets to get towed). IF they didn't step out of the car, you should be good. If they did get out and saw your plate and meter unpaid, then chances are you will get a ticket. Most times when they ticket they will be outside of their vehicle.
Even if they do not get out of the car you may get a ticket. If they read your license plate, then they can write you.
Friend was parked illegally and one the the parking enforcement cars pulled up behind him but the driver did not get out, so he pulled out and left. He got a ticket in the mail a couple of weeks later.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Prius.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbb View Post
Based on what you described, extremely unlikely.

I think some private parking companies use cameras to scan vehicles, but as far as I know, the government hasn't started using them yet. Probably not as easy to scan cars that are parallel parked on the street compared to cars parked perpendicularly in parking lots.

If the Prius just drove by you and didn't observe you just hanging out for any significant length of time, I can't see any possibility of you getting a ticket.

For all they know, you had just parked your car and was getting ready to pay, but just haven't yet.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
I think some private parking companies use cameras to scan vehicles, but as far as I know, the government hasn't started using them yet. Probably not as easy to scan cars that are parallel parked on the street compared to cars parked perpendicularly in parking lots.
You're completely incorrect. By law enforcement vehicles in a bunch of GVRD townships have plate scanners on them.

I see the stupid suzuki SUV things with like 18 cameras on them driving around all the time in north van and burnaby.

The car drives down the street and it identifies and logs every car on that street. They do this all day long, if a car has been sitting in the same spot for too long the computer notifies the by law officer then he writes a ticket.

And they work perfectly fine on parallel parked cars.

Also some police cars here do have plate scanners, my plates were flagged for awhile, I used to get police pulling u-turns to come pull me over.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #12
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
You're completely incorrect. By law enforcement vehicles in a bunch of GVRD townships have plate scanners on them.

I see the stupid suzuki SUV things with like 18 cameras on them driving around all the time in north van and burnaby.
My bad. I don't hang out in Burnaby or North Vancouver much, so I haven't seen any of the by-law enforcement vehicles there.

I only see the City of Vancouver by-law enforcement vehicles, and I've yet to see one with cameras. I made the incorrect assumption other municipalities would be the same.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
My bad. I don't hang out in Burnaby or North Vancouver much, so I haven't seen any of the by-law enforcement vehicles there.

I only see the City of Vancouver by-law enforcement vehicles, and I've yet to see one with cameras. I made the incorrect assumption other municipalities would be the same.
Yeah I think city of van is behind on that tech, pretty sure they still chalk tires...

Old 06-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #14
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Also some police cars here do have plate scanners, my plates were flagged for awhile, I used to get police pulling u-turns to come pull me over.
What was their reason?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
What was their reason?
Plates get flagged for a variety of reasons: Suspicious activity, reported bad driving, suspensions, DUI's, lots of tickets, outstanding warrants.

Not a clue why mine were flagged, I had none of the above. Nonetheless I would get pulled over every single time I got spotted by a police officer for a solid 6 month window. Like without fail even if they were headed the opposite direction. One time I got a VI for my front window tints, the other times they let me go without a word after they checked my ID and insurance.

I got pulled over three times driving home from work one afternoon (a trip of 15km).

Then one day they just left me alone.