REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
RCMP Officer Shoots Family Dog in Richmond (w/ video)

RCMP officer shoots family dog in Richmond | CTV Vancouver News

Quote:
CTV Vancouver
Published Saturday, May 30, 2015 6:42PM PDT

Hector Riquelme was in his backyard Friday morning when he heard a commotion.

It was the sound of Richmond RCMP officers -- who had mistaken his house as the home of a break-in suspect -- and his dog Koda, who had noticed the police before Riquelme did.

When he went to see what happened, he was stunned by what he found.

“My dog was just on this side right here with his face blown off and bleeding out from the mouth,” Riquelme told CTV News in an exclusive interview.

In a statement, Richmond RCMP said two officers saw a black duffle bag outside Riquelme’s house on Garden City Road that matched the description of one carried by the break-in suspect.

The officers attempted to retrieve the bag, when they were “confronted by two pitbull-like dogs and hastily exited the area, narrowly escaping,” police said.

“In the process, one of the officers discharged his firearm once at the dog that was closing in on him,” police said. “Our officers are shaken but uninjured.”

Koda, meanwhile, was bleeding.

“The blood was everywhere,” Riquelme said. “All over the grass, all over the stairs all over the inside of the house. At that point it was just stop the bleeding and get her to the vet as soon as possible.”

The family brought Koda to multiple veterinary clinics, where the pet was stabilized and later had surgery. So far, vet bills have totaled more than $3,500.

Richmond RCMP told CTV News Koda’s owners were told how they could get compensation for their dog’s injury, but Riquelme says one of the officers called both vet clinics and told them the police “will not be covering any amount of money.”

Along with his concern about the bills and his dog’s well-being, Riquelme is also worried about what might have happened.

He said his daughter was only 20 feet away when the officer shot the dog.
“What if he missed? What if it ricocheted? What if it hit my daughter and my daughter died?” Riquelme asked.

The break-in suspect has not been caught, but the nature of the crime the officers were investigating makes what happened even more concerning for Riquelme.

“Just a property crime - does that really warrant them to take their guns out and start shooting in front of kids? That's what concerns me.”
Obviously we don't know the whole story, but at a minimum, I think we can establish the following as facts:

- RCMP got the wrong house during an investigation
- One officer shot the dog in the dog owner's back yard while the home owner's young daughter was nearby at the 2nd floor.
- RCMP is refusing to pay for the resulting vet bill.
- The dog is not fatally injured.

In the absence of the whole story, I don't want to throw too many theories / guesses out. But I will just say that the incident raises some serious questions regarding the competency and professionalism of our Richmond RCMP officers.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts

Cocksuckers! Fuck them! They should offer to pay and apologize. Fuck them. Cocksuckers.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
The police will pay its out in the news and now shit will hit the fan. It's fucken sad but at least the dog wasn't killed that's the only good part of the story..
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Is hard to say what happen unless we see the footage.

I mean the dog could be chasing the officers due to defending his home. i mean when a dog is going to chase me and try to bite me I would use any force necessary to stop the attack. In this case the officer his gun.

Is a sad story but If the dog was attacking the officer I could see why the gun was fire.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post

I mean the dog could be chasing the officers due to defending his home. i mean when a dog is going to chase me and try to bite me I would use any force necessary to stop the attack. In this case the officer his gun.

Is a sad story but If the dog was attacking the officer I could see why the gun was fire.
It's fair to assume the dogs were in a gated yard, hence:
Quote:
The officers attempted to retrieve the bag, when they were “confronted by two pitbull-like dogs and hastily exited the area, narrowly escaping,” police said.
This, right on the heels of 2 Transit cops being found guilty of assaulting an innocent commuter, who was just playing a game on his phone while waiting for the fare cost to change.
Transit cops found guilty of assaulting construction worker, but not guilty of lying about it in their report

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

One for certain is that the dog must be fenced in on the property.
And the purpose having a dog for some people is to protect their homes against intruders.
There are so many other ways to resolve it other than the cop went rambo and try to retreive the bag thinking he/she could outrun the dog and be a hero.
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonydakiller View Post
One for certain is that the dog must be fenced in on the property.
And the purpose having a dog for some people is to protect their homes against intruders.
There are so many other ways to resolve it other than the cop went rambo and try to retreive the bag thinking he/she could outrun the dog and be a hero.
Go on.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:45 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
breaks my heart. at least the dog is still alive and will survive this incident. stupid trigger happy cops..
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2015, 10:55 PM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post

The officers had no right to be on the property. No footage needed. Had they been doing their job properly, it wouldn't have happened. A black duffel bag that "matches a discription" is probably at half of everyone's houses.

It's a sad story that's totally the cop's fault.
MitchK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Based on the information available to us at this time, it sounds like the officers entered the property without announcing themselves, attempted to grab the bag, and were chased out of the yard by the dogs.

Captain Hindsight would say the officers should've announced themselves prior to entering the property.

I won't pretend to know what police protocol is in this situation and whether or not they followed it.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2015, 11:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Go on.
well...first of all...that bag ain't gonna go anywhere...its not like it has a pair of legs and just gonna start running.
I have an assumption that cops were aware about the dog that was on the property. Call backup first if they think the suspect is in the house.
Assuming the dog was getting aggresive when the cops approached the house, i'm sure cops have these sedation shots maybe not every cop has it with them but i'm sure when it is needed it can be supplied right away.
Then you proceed, put the dog to sleep, retrieve the bag, check the house etc.
But hey i'm no cop, but thats what i would do, i will never mess around with an angery dog, period.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2015, 11:31 PM   #12
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
Cops saw the bag and probable thought the suspect was on the property somewhere.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:32 PM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
First part is a good point. The other half though... No officer carries tranq darts lol
Old 05-30-2015, 11:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonydakiller View Post
well...first of all...that bag ain't gonna go anywhere...its not like it has a pair of legs and just gonna start running.
I have an assumption that cops were aware about the dog that was on the property. Call backup first if they think the suspect is in the house.
Assuming the dog was getting aggresive when the cops approached the house, i'm sure cops have these sedation shots maybe not every cop has it with them but i'm sure when it is needed it can be supplied right away.
Then you proceed, put the dog to sleep, retrieve the bag, check the house etc.
But hey i'm no cop, but thats what i would do, i will never mess around with an angery dog, period.

Are you serious?
Old 05-30-2015, 11:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

Are you serious?
So are you saying...u would either shoot the dog and get the bag..
or like me when my dog is getting angry " hey boy...shhh...shhhh..you are at peace...shhhhh...i'm just gonna get that bag and leave..*woof woof*...hey..it's ok...nobody is gonna know...shhh...quiet...no barking....stay and be a good boy...stay ...stay...stay...*cross the fence*....dog came running...*shot fired*....game over...
Old 05-31-2015, 12:09 AM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Shit people that weren't there, have any knowledge of use of force, or firearms will end up saying over the next few days: 'He should have put a warning shot into the air. Or in front of the dog. Or aimed and shot its paw. Or leg. He should have used a Tazer.'

My take on it? It was likely they were thinking to sneak in and catch the thieves in the act, recover B&E tools etc. If there's no direct evidence or witnesses, a lame excuse given to the cops, like "Oh, I'm a binner, I was looking for cans," and you have blue box in the open in the yard, mean they're pretty much walking out of there.

At the end of the day, the constable made a judgement call about the situation, and it went to shit. That, I think we can all agree on.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2015, 01:26 AM   #17
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
pepper spray would have fucked the dogs up and had nice coverage

but i could see how firing a gun at a small moving target makes more sense....

Quote:
“Our officers are shaken but uninjured.”
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2015, 01:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
pepper spray would have fucked the dogs up and had nice coverage

but i could see how firing a gun at a small moving target makes more sense....

Gun was probable already drawn.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:08 AM   #19

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
In the cops POV i could see how the gun shot was "warranted". I mean if an angry pitbull was closing in on you what would you do? keep running when there's a chance it'll pounce and start biting you? Let's be real here, the cop didn't have time to think and ask himself "how do i get this pitbull away from me?"

However it blows my mind that the cops or VPD won't pay the hospital bill since it was a blatant mistake AND that the original suspect still has not been caught
Old 05-31-2015, 04:31 AM   #20
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

RCMP Officer Shoots Family Dog in Richmond (w/ video)

He could have tazed or even pepper sprayed the dog. Why the fuck did he use his gun? If they had announced them self the owner could have easily stopped his dog. And putbull like? Seriously? That's fucking bullshit. I bet you it was probably a Labrador or a Golden retriever or any other super friendly dog like that. I say sue the RCMP, they had no right even bring on the property
BrownBear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2015, 05:16 AM   #21
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Gun was probable already drawn.
Going back to the news report, they were there at the house to investigate a potential property crime -- they were under the impression that the suspect might be living there. Is it standard police practice to treat this type of thing as a felony situation, going in with guns drawn? Doing so would seem very heavy handed to me. After all, we are not USA.

If guns weren't aleady drawn, that means the cop reached for it when he reacted to the dog chasing him. I agree it was certainly the easy button, but it makes me wonder if having a dog that size chasing you would qualify as a situation where the officer felt his life was under threat...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #22
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
no real comment on the story but to clarify a few things;

-not all officers are issued tazers, in fact very few have them
-OC spray has a limited distance and often times does not effectively stop targets
-they most DEFINITELY do not have "tranq" darts
-they probably did not enter the property with guns drawn
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #23
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Going back to the news report, they were there at the house to investigate a potential property crime -- they were under the impression that the suspect might be living there. Is it standard police practice to treat this type of thing as a felony situation, going in with guns drawn? Doing so would seem very heavy handed to me. After all, we are not USA.

If guns weren't aleady drawn, that means the cop reached for it when he reacted to the dog chasing him. I agree it was certainly the easy button, but it makes me wonder if having a dog that size chasing you would qualify as a situation where the officer felt his life was under threat...
Maybe the cops were the thieves... but seriously, I do not see the logic of going in a house where you suspect a thief is in. As said before the bag isn't going anywhere. They easily could have called for back up, made themselves less visible, while waiting, because the thief is going to come back for his bag, if he does not go for the bag, and the backup arrives, go for doorbell, "hello is everything all right". "Can I see your ID? what's in the bag?"

“The blood was everywhere,” Riquelme said. “All over the grass, all over the stairs all over the inside of the house. ....”
, so the house door was opened, by the cops?

It's ironic how usually an unattended bag is treated as potential explosive where bomb squad or whatever is called in, blocking road, choppers and all, but this time, it was "obviously" the thief's bag, they just had to go for it?? Right

BTW "black duffel bag that matches the description" what description would that be, black duffel bag?
tinico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:34 AM   #24
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
lol at the cop making special mention to the dog being "pitbull-like" to sway public opinion in his favour
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:15 AM   #25
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
LOL at you trying to make it sound like they're trying to swap public opinion.

Do you think the cop had enough time to get a blood sample from the dog, send it to the lab, then get a report back on what breed it is - all before shooting the dog? It looked like a pit-bull. It may have merely been an educated guess.