REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   RCMP Officer Shoots Family Dog in Richmond (w/ video) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703674-rcmp-officer-shoots-family-dog-richmond-w-video.html)

Traum 05-30-2015 09:25 PM

RCMP Officer Shoots Family Dog in Richmond (w/ video)

RCMP officer shoots family dog in Richmond | CTV Vancouver News

Quote:

CTV Vancouver
Published Saturday, May 30, 2015 6:42PM PDT

Hector Riquelme was in his backyard Friday morning when he heard a commotion.

It was the sound of Richmond RCMP officers -- who had mistaken his house as the home of a break-in suspect -- and his dog Koda, who had noticed the police before Riquelme did.

When he went to see what happened, he was stunned by what he found.

“My dog was just on this side right here with his face blown off and bleeding out from the mouth,” Riquelme told CTV News in an exclusive interview.

In a statement, Richmond RCMP said two officers saw a black duffle bag outside Riquelme’s house on Garden City Road that matched the description of one carried by the break-in suspect.

The officers attempted to retrieve the bag, when they were “confronted by two pitbull-like dogs and hastily exited the area, narrowly escaping,” police said.

“In the process, one of the officers discharged his firearm once at the dog that was closing in on him,” police said. “Our officers are shaken but uninjured.”

Koda, meanwhile, was bleeding.

“The blood was everywhere,” Riquelme said. “All over the grass, all over the stairs all over the inside of the house. At that point it was just stop the bleeding and get her to the vet as soon as possible.”

The family brought Koda to multiple veterinary clinics, where the pet was stabilized and later had surgery. So far, vet bills have totaled more than $3,500.

Richmond RCMP told CTV News Koda’s owners were told how they could get compensation for their dog’s injury, but Riquelme says one of the officers called both vet clinics and told them the police “will not be covering any amount of money.”

Along with his concern about the bills and his dog’s well-being, Riquelme is also worried about what might have happened.

He said his daughter was only 20 feet away when the officer shot the dog.
“What if he missed? What if it ricocheted? What if it hit my daughter and my daughter died?” Riquelme asked.

The break-in suspect has not been caught, but the nature of the crime the officers were investigating makes what happened even more concerning for Riquelme.

“Just a property crime - does that really warrant them to take their guns out and start shooting in front of kids? That's what concerns me.”
Obviously we don't know the whole story, but at a minimum, I think we can establish the following as facts:

- RCMP got the wrong house during an investigation
- One officer shot the dog in the dog owner's back yard while the home owner's young daughter was nearby at the 2nd floor.
- RCMP is refusing to pay for the resulting vet bill.
- The dog is not fatally injured.

In the absence of the whole story, I don't want to throw too many theories / guesses out. But I will just say that the incident raises some serious questions regarding the competency and professionalism of our Richmond RCMP officers. FailFish

multicartual 05-30-2015 09:27 PM

Cocksuckers! Fuck them! They should offer to pay and apologize. Fuck them. Cocksuckers.

murd0c 05-30-2015 09:29 PM

The police will pay its out in the news and now shit will hit the fan. It's fucken sad but at least the dog wasn't killed that's the only good part of the story..

Mr.HappySilp 05-30-2015 09:46 PM

Is hard to say what happen unless we see the footage.

I mean the dog could be chasing the officers due to defending his home. i mean when a dog is going to chase me and try to bite me I would use any force necessary to stop the attack. In this case the officer his gun.

Is a sad story but If the dog was attacking the officer I could see why the gun was fire.

fliptuner 05-30-2015 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8642680)

I mean the dog could be chasing the officers due to defending his home. i mean when a dog is going to chase me and try to bite me I would use any force necessary to stop the attack. In this case the officer his gun.

Is a sad story but If the dog was attacking the officer I could see why the gun was fire.

It's fair to assume the dogs were in a gated yard, hence:
Quote:

The officers attempted to retrieve the bag, when they were “confronted by two pitbull-like dogs and hastily exited the area, narrowly escaping,” police said.
This, right on the heels of 2 Transit cops being found guilty of assaulting an innocent commuter, who was just playing a game on his phone while waiting for the fare cost to change.
Transit cops found guilty of assaulting construction worker, but not guilty of lying about it in their report

Jonydakiller 05-30-2015 09:56 PM

One for certain is that the dog must be fenced in on the property.
And the purpose having a dog for some people is to protect their homes against intruders.
There are so many other ways to resolve it other than the cop went rambo and try to retreive the bag thinking he/she could outrun the dog and be a hero.

CRS 05-30-2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonydakiller (Post 8642684)
One for certain is that the dog must be fenced in on the property.
And the purpose having a dog for some people is to protect their homes against intruders.
There are so many other ways to resolve it other than the cop went rambo and try to retreive the bag thinking he/she could outrun the dog and be a hero.

Go on.

Gucci Mane 05-30-2015 10:45 PM

breaks my heart. at least the dog is still alive and will survive this incident. stupid trigger happy cops..

MitchK 05-30-2015 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8642680)

The officers had no right to be on the property. No footage needed. Had they been doing their job properly, it wouldn't have happened. A black duffel bag that "matches a discription" is probably at half of everyone's houses.

It's a sad story that's totally the cop's fault.

Jmac 05-30-2015 10:56 PM

Based on the information available to us at this time, it sounds like the officers entered the property without announcing themselves, attempted to grab the bag, and were chased out of the yard by the dogs.

Captain Hindsight would say the officers should've announced themselves prior to entering the property.

I won't pretend to know what police protocol is in this situation and whether or not they followed it.

Jonydakiller 05-30-2015 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8642696)
Go on.

well...first of all...that bag ain't gonna go anywhere...its not like it has a pair of legs and just gonna start running.
I have an assumption that cops were aware about the dog that was on the property. Call backup first if they think the suspect is in the house.
Assuming the dog was getting aggresive when the cops approached the house, i'm sure cops have these sedation shots maybe not every cop has it with them but i'm sure when it is needed it can be supplied right away.
Then you proceed, put the dog to sleep, retrieve the bag, check the house etc.
But hey i'm no cop, but thats what i would do, i will never mess around with an angery dog, period.

Manic! 05-30-2015 11:31 PM

Cops saw the bag and probable thought the suspect was on the property somewhere.

320icar 05-30-2015 11:32 PM

First part is a good point. The other half though... No officer carries tranq darts lol

Manic! 05-30-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonydakiller (Post 8642713)
well...first of all...that bag ain't gonna go anywhere...its not like it has a pair of legs and just gonna start running.
I have an assumption that cops were aware about the dog that was on the property. Call backup first if they think the suspect is in the house.
Assuming the dog was getting aggresive when the cops approached the house, i'm sure cops have these sedation shots maybe not every cop has it with them but i'm sure when it is needed it can be supplied right away.
Then you proceed, put the dog to sleep, retrieve the bag, check the house etc.
But hey i'm no cop, but thats what i would do, i will never mess around with an angery dog, period.

FailFish

Are you serious?

Jonydakiller 05-30-2015 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8642716)
FailFish

Are you serious?

So are you saying...u would either shoot the dog and get the bag..
or like me when my dog is getting angry " hey boy...shhh...shhhh..you are at peace...shhhhh...i'm just gonna get that bag and leave..*woof woof*...hey..it's ok...nobody is gonna know...shhh...quiet...no barking....stay and be a good boy...stay ...stay...stay...*cross the fence*....dog came running...*shot fired*....game over...

Mikoyan 05-31-2015 12:09 AM

Shit people that weren't there, have any knowledge of use of force, or firearms will end up saying over the next few days: 'He should have put a warning shot into the air. Or in front of the dog. Or aimed and shot its paw. Or leg. He should have used a Tazer.'

My take on it? It was likely they were thinking to sneak in and catch the thieves in the act, recover B&E tools etc. If there's no direct evidence or witnesses, a lame excuse given to the cops, like "Oh, I'm a binner, I was looking for cans," and you have blue box in the open in the yard, mean they're pretty much walking out of there.

At the end of the day, the constable made a judgement call about the situation, and it went to shit. That, I think we can all agree on.

StylinRed 05-31-2015 01:26 AM

pepper spray would have fucked the dogs up and had nice coverage

but i could see how firing a gun at a small moving target makes more sense....

Quote:

“Our officers are shaken but uninjured.”
:rukidding:

Manic! 05-31-2015 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8642741)
pepper spray would have fucked the dogs up and had nice coverage

but i could see how firing a gun at a small moving target makes more sense....

:rukidding:

Gun was probable already drawn.

jeedee 05-31-2015 03:08 AM

In the cops POV i could see how the gun shot was "warranted". I mean if an angry pitbull was closing in on you what would you do? keep running when there's a chance it'll pounce and start biting you? Let's be real here, the cop didn't have time to think and ask himself "how do i get this pitbull away from me?"

However it blows my mind that the cops or VPD won't pay the hospital bill since it was a blatant mistake AND that the original suspect still has not been caught :rukidding:

BrownBear 05-31-2015 04:31 AM

RCMP Officer Shoots Family Dog in Richmond (w/ video)

He could have tazed or even pepper sprayed the dog. Why the fuck did he use his gun? If they had announced them self the owner could have easily stopped his dog. And putbull like? Seriously? That's fucking bullshit. I bet you it was probably a Labrador or a Golden retriever or any other super friendly dog like that. I say sue the RCMP, they had no right even bring on the property

Traum 05-31-2015 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8642746)
Gun was probable already drawn.

Going back to the news report, they were there at the house to investigate a potential property crime -- they were under the impression that the suspect might be living there. Is it standard police practice to treat this type of thing as a felony situation, going in with guns drawn? Doing so would seem very heavy handed to me. After all, we are not USA.

If guns weren't aleady drawn, that means the cop reached for it when he reacted to the dog chasing him. I agree it was certainly the easy button, but it makes me wonder if having a dog that size chasing you would qualify as a situation where the officer felt his life was under threat... :rukidding:

T4RAWR 05-31-2015 06:26 AM

no real comment on the story but to clarify a few things;

-not all officers are issued tazers, in fact very few have them
-OC spray has a limited distance and often times does not effectively stop targets
-they most DEFINITELY do not have "tranq" darts
-they probably did not enter the property with guns drawn

tinico 05-31-2015 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8642761)
Going back to the news report, they were there at the house to investigate a potential property crime -- they were under the impression that the suspect might be living there. Is it standard police practice to treat this type of thing as a felony situation, going in with guns drawn? Doing so would seem very heavy handed to me. After all, we are not USA.

If guns weren't aleady drawn, that means the cop reached for it when he reacted to the dog chasing him. I agree it was certainly the easy button, but it makes me wonder if having a dog that size chasing you would qualify as a situation where the officer felt his life was under threat... :rukidding:

Maybe the cops were the thieves... but seriously, I do not see the logic of going in a house where you suspect a thief is in. As said before the bag isn't going anywhere. They easily could have called for back up, made themselves less visible, while waiting, because the thief is going to come back for his bag, if he does not go for the bag, and the backup arrives, go for doorbell, "hello is everything all right". "Can I see your ID? what's in the bag?"

“The blood was everywhere,” Riquelme said. “All over the grass, all over the stairs all over the inside of the house. ....”
, so the house door was opened, by the cops?

It's ironic how usually an unattended bag is treated as potential explosive where bomb squad or whatever is called in, blocking road, choppers and all, but this time, it was "obviously" the thief's bag, they just had to go for it?? Right

BTW "black duffel bag that matches the description" what description would that be, black duffel bag?

- kT 05-31-2015 08:34 AM

lol at the cop making special mention to the dog being "pitbull-like" to sway public opinion in his favour

nns 05-31-2015 09:15 AM

LOL at you trying to make it sound like they're trying to swap public opinion.

Do you think the cop had enough time to get a blood sample from the dog, send it to the lab, then get a report back on what breed it is - all before shooting the dog? It looked like a pit-bull. It may have merely been an educated guess.