REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #51
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
3 DUI's and 5 driving suspensions.

When do they ban him from driving for life?
what would that do, just in that list he was caught driving while banned what, 3 times? and those were just the times he was caught
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #52
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
This. Nothing would've stopped him from driving unless he remains in jail. Too easy to have an access to a car and this guy was driving while technically banned.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #53
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
ya a banning won't stop him. maybe a "get caught driving and do time" scenario.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #54
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
It's not his fault. It is the fault of his oppressors from his upbringing.

Spoiler!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #55
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I'm suspecting that he's getting caught on purpose or naturally just so he can go back into jail. If he's a native and it's minimum security, I can sort of understand why. For a lot of struggling people, I can guarantee you that life inside is much better than in the real world.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #56
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canali View Post
Driver in crash that killed Whistler cyclists had suspended licence for drunk driving - British Columbia - CBC News
History of impaired driving

The driver has a history of previous convictions for impaired driving and driving when his licence was suspended.

February 2007: Arrested for impaired driving in Fort St. John and convicted later that year. Sentenced in 2008 to a one-year driving prohibition.
December 2008: Arrested for driving with a suspended licence in Lillooet. Sentenced in 2010 to 30 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition.
October 2009: Arrested for impaired driving in Lillooet. Sentenced in 2010 to 60 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition.
April 2011: Arrested for operating a motor vehicle while disqualified in Lillooet. Sentenced later that year to 45 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition.
March 2014: Arrested for driving with a blood alcohol level over .08, and operating a motor vehicle while disqualified. Sentenced in October 2014 to 144 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition on the first count, and 120 days in jail on the second count.

wow, this sam alec driver dude is now in the shitter for sure...and only brings more light to our lame ass laws for repeat dui offenders.

if he is truly an alcoholic, then what can the system do to see people like this get help to ensure they're on the way to recovery...so that there is no repeat offence scenario ad nauseum leading to his sort of unnecessary carnage.

on the other hand, I guess you can't really 'recover' unless you truly want to...am pretty sure now he'll ''want to'', but little too late with the heart breaking devastation and damage already done.
holy shit dude, just by looking at that kind of history, it's very obvious that it was just a matter of time til he's gonna kill somebody.

epic fail for government for not doing anything about it
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #57

on a side note...how does ICBC handle a case like this?
As far as I know, ICBC does not cover DUI drivers.

Normally victims' families will be compensated for future living cost if they were relying on victim's income. Does this mean victims will personally have to file a civil lawsuit against this guy or what?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
This. Nothing would've stopped him from driving unless he remains in jail. Too easy to have an access to a car and this guy was driving while technically banned.
Yeah I don't know about his life but he either did not give a shit about the law or had nothing to lose.

I do not want to be rude to the victim, but if I were the passenger, I would stay the fuck away from his car. Why did he even get in?
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #59
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

agree with your comment below
mine was asking: what is the govt doing to deal with alcoholism and repeat DUI offenders....it is a sickness, afterall...just tossing one's butt into jail without treatment does nothing.

and then i guess anyone can follow the process of attending any rehab sessions as part of one's rehabilitative sentence, but if they truly don't give a shit and aren't ready to change, then it's the 'if nothing changes, then nothing changes'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
holy shit dude, just by looking at that kind of history, it's very obvious that it was just a matter of time til he's gonna kill somebody.

epic fail for government for not doing anything about it

Last edited by canali; 06-03-2015 at 12:02 PM.
canali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #60
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Because if it isn't some spandex superstar is going to be going way too fast and not pay attention, and end up mowing down some old lady or child.
You can say the same for bicycle on the roads.
some drunk driver is going to mow down group of cyclists.
so should we ban cars from the road for the safety of cyclists?

seems to me, bicycle on the side walks is better option for everyone

jst my 2cents

Last edited by ImportPsycho; 06-03-2015 at 11:45 AM.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #61
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Canadian criminal justice system logic:
Breaches. Slaps him with more probation hoping he'll change
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #62

Quote:
Really? Good god.... I did not know that...
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #63
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
In a society that promotes "No fucks given" is it any wonder this guy didn't give a fuck and drove anyways?
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #64
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Quote:
on a side note...how does ICBC handle a case like this?

Normally victims' families will be compensated for future living cost if they were relying on victim's income. Does this mean victims will personally have to file a civil lawsuit against this guy or what?
What are they going to get out of him though? The court can award them a billion dollars but the guy will have no money to pay them. Clearly he was just a walking breathing log of shit. I'm sure he had no job.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #65
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
...and that is why you buy the uninsured motorist coverage as part of your insurance coverage.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #66
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

especially in flaky BC, with so many hicktowns (like rural AB)
so true....cover your ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-Dave View Post
...and that is why you buy the uninsured motorist coverage as part of your insurance coverage.

-Dave
canali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #67
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Clearly he was just a walking breathing log of shit. I'm sure he had no job.

I pray a virus or war comes to wipe the slate clean so we can start again fresh!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #68

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-Dave View Post

-Dave
too bad you cant get insurance on your bike... their families arent getting anything, unless they had life insurance

and im pretty sure uninsured motorist coverage is already included in basic insurance.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #69
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
too bad you cant get insurance on your bike... their families arent getting anything, unless they had life insurance

and im pretty sure uninsured motorist coverage is already included in basic insurance.
Wrong on the first point, correct on the second point. Underinsured protection is included in basic for up to 1 million dollars, you can add additional coverage to a total of 2 million dollars. The beauty of it is that it protects you from underinsured motorists, even if you're a passenger or a cyclist.

Quote:
If you're in a crash where the driver at fault doesn't have enough insurance to pay for your injury costs, Excess Underinsured Motorist Protection applies to:
you and anyone else in your vehicle
you, no matter what vehicle you're riding in, or when you’re a pedestrian or cyclist, and
members of your household riding in any vehicle (except ones they own), or who are injured as pedestrians or cyclists.

Note: Underinsured motorist protection coverage doesn't apply to crashes in provinces or states where the law doesn't allow you to sue and recover damages for injury or death caused by a vehicle crash.
The above quote is direct from ICBC's website.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
Really? Good god.... I did not know that...
Yeah it says on the fine print. ICBC will NOT cover DUI drivers even if you're under legal blood alcohol limit and police did NOT arrest you.

ICBC insurance policy says absolutely no alcohol allowed.
Criminal Code of Canada says you can drive up to 0.05 to 0.08%.

^ make sure you know that these are two different things.

So you go through a road block with 0.05% blood alcohol, cops won't care because you're not breaking the law.
But if you cause an accident, even at 0.01% blood alcohol, ICBC will NOT cover you because that is their insurance policy.

Did a quick search and found this article:
When ICBC Denies Insurance Coverage for Drinking and Driving Tips And Advice
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #71

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
If you are hit by an insured driver, and they are intoxicated at the time, they are not considered insured.

BUT,

So long as that driver has a valid policy in Canada on the vehicle, the insurance company is binded by the absolute liability provision to cover the claimant for the federally mandated minimum statutory coverage of 200K.

Ref. Section 258 of the Insurance Act

Dumbed down below;

http://www.gregmonforton.com/assets/...-Litigator.pdf

Start @ "Tort Claim"
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #72
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Our DUI laws are a joke. It happens so often and kills many people, affecting many lives, yet are laws are pretty weak.

This guy was driving on a highway, but say we change the scenario, taking the bicycling out of this, and instead of a highway, he's driving say down Main St. and he running a red light and hits your friend/brother/family member as they are crossing the street. How would you feel if he only got 3 years of prison?
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #73
2-Wheelin' Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
the driver was already suspended for DUI and wasnt suppose to be driving, couple native guys from pemberton kill "staples of the community" from whistler, nice
I agree with most in this thread that this individual deserves to feel the full force of the law (and more) ... but I don't agree that it's necessary to make reference to the driver's ethnicity. I assume you are attempting to layer in a stereotype to help make your point. Given the racist edge that adds to your comment and the fact that the driver was clearly and entirely at fault it was unnecessary.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #74
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
I agree with most in this thread that this individual deserves to feel the full force of the law (and more) ... but I don't agree that it's necessary to make reference to the driver's ethnicity. I assume you are attempting to layer in a stereotype to help make your point. Given the racist edge that adds to your comment and the fact that the driver was clearly and entirely at fault it was unnecessary.
the news story had like a minute thing on how the driver got along "with both sides, the whites and us" in interviews within the community

i dont think my comments went nearly as far as the global news reporters coverage..
Old 06-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #75

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
In a similar case, the driver's ethnicity played a part in receiving a very light sentence.

Driver who killed pedestrian has jail term quashed on appeal; aboriginal background cited
Spoiler!

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 06-03-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: