REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   2 cyclists and passenger dead from suspected drunk driver. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703703-2-cyclists-passenger-dead-suspected-drunk-driver.html)

westopher 05-31-2015 11:05 PM

2 cyclists and passenger dead from suspected drunk driver.

Highway 99 Crash: Alleged Impaired Driver Kills Cyclists, Passenger Near Whistler

This is fucking brutal. FailFish
Still investigating wether the driver was in fact intoxicated, but a horrible outcome all around.
Quote:

PEMBERTON, B.C. - Three people are dead after a man, who police believe was impaired, drove into a group of cyclists out for a weekend ride northeast of Whistler, B.C.

RCMP said they received a call from a witness about a driver crashing into three people cycling along Highway 99 around noon on Sunday, killing two of them, along with the vehicle's sole passenger.

The condition of the third cyclist was unknown, said RCMP Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair.

"The problem is the area is relatively remote with no cell phone coverage and spotty radio reception," he said. "We do have a collision-investigation team on scene, as well as our local members and the coroner."

LeClair suggested reports the driver was impaired at the time of the crash were based on observations from witnesses and police officers at the scene.

"I don't know what the particulars of that are but I suspect it's based on their observations and their experience," he said.

One officer accompanied the driver as he was airlifted to a hospital in Vancouver.

The Mounties have not released the names of anyone involved in the accident.

The families of the two cyclists who were killed have been notified, said LeClair, but the identity of the deceased passenger has yet to be confirmed.

No charges have been laid, however, police say the investigation is ongoing.

Galactic_Phantom 05-31-2015 11:21 PM

Being drunk at noonFailFish.
Killing 3 people, jesus I hope he kills himself out of guilt

westopher 05-31-2015 11:27 PM

I hope he stays alive long enough to have the remorse absolutely destroy him first. Prison can be a fate worse than death for some.

melloman 06-01-2015 07:20 AM

I'm confused.. he hit 3 cyclists, killed 2 of them.. and the passenger in the vehicle died..

No pictures or story of what happened to the car? Drove off the side of the road and went flying into a ditch?? Only thing I can think of how the passenger died..

multicartual 06-01-2015 07:53 AM

Guy will get like 3 years, tops

Hot Karl 06-01-2015 08:14 AM

cycling is the lamest extreme sport there is.

all the danger, none of the speed, no real air time, zero chance to dodge, survival is dumb luck. it's a fucking hamster wheel.

and you get to deal with all the idiots on the road. it sounds like a delightful stress free exercise routine on THE SIDE OF A FUCKING HIGHWAY.

whenever you drive, you accept the fact that it's entirely possible some drunk runs a red light and smokes you. that is the reality of being on the roads. so i have no love for idiots who choose to occupy the same roads but on a bike guaranteeing certain injury and near death if anything goes down.

we're all doing an activity that requires safety equipment. if you choose to forgo yours, and pay the price, then go fuck yourself.

multicartual 06-01-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Karl (Post 8643153)
it sounds like a delightful stress free exercise routine on THE SIDE OF A FUCKING HIGHWAY.

Sigh, retard

Sneaky 06-01-2015 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Karl (Post 8643153)
cycling is the lamest extreme sport there is.

:failed:

>TFW no fail button

originalhypa 06-01-2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8643163)
Sigh, retard

Doesn't he know, you never go full retard?
FailFish

But homeboy makes a point that I think needs to be made.
Last week I rode my mtn bike from Whistler Village to Function Junction for beer reasons. I took the valley trail which runs about 7km. The problem is, it doesn't go the full distance to FJ. Long story short, I was forced to ride a km along the highway. Sure, there's a pseudo bike lane/shoulder, but I also nearly got smoked by some dickfart in an F150. Good thing I had a mtn bike, because I had to hop into the shallow ditch when he occupied my area. silly douche was probably on his cel......

Bottom line, I tell my kids that it's dangerous to be on the side of the highway, but lots of parents obviously don't offer the same lesson. While I'm watching for anything while I drive, some people just don't. Do the cyclists deserve what they get? No fucking way, that's a stupid statement to make. But you don't need to do the math to know that a bicycle travelling at 45kmh getting hit by a car at 100kmh isn't going to end well for the cyclist.

RIP.

jasonturbo 06-01-2015 08:54 AM

Day drunk, that shit cray.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Edit: I'm a bit assumption heavy, he might not have been drunk, could have been high etc.

Hot Karl 06-01-2015 09:14 AM

bike all you want, it doesn't affect me besides the annoyance of the bike lanes.

go walk on the side of a highway for a bit. it's sketchy as fuck with cars whipping by at 100km. but being on a bike is so much safer. in fact it's so safe i'll do this highway ride 2-3 times a week.
why would i use a bike trail? or any other fucking road. let's find literally the fastest roads i can, so i can exercise on the side of them. why not have your kids just play catch on the side of the highway then?

cyclists always cry about how dangerous and inattentive drivers are in the city. then why the fuck would you go onto a roadway with these same drivers but at double the speeds. fucking hypocrite cyclists.

i'm a retard. i'll be the retard stuck in traffic and you can call me a retard as they scoop you into a ziploc bag while your family gets to find out all about arranging a funeral.

saw these great cop commercials in alberta. "you can be right, but what good is that if you're dead."

maybe you can have a law named after you! that'll be comforting to everyone you leave behind.

jasonturbo 06-01-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Karl (Post 8643176)
bike all you want, it doesn't affect me besides the annoyance of the bike lanes.

go walk on the side of a highway for a bit. it's sketchy as fuck with cars whipping by at 100km. but being on a bike is so much safer. in fact it's so safe i'll do this highway ride 2-3 times a week.

cyclists always cry about how dangerous and inattentive drivers are in the city. then why the fuck would you go onto a roadway with these same drivers but at double the speeds. fucking hypocrite cyclists.

Bikers who are biking because that is their method of transportation have the right to complain about drivers... But those that are biking on the roads for the sake of leisure or sport (not to get from point a to point b) should not be using the road IMO.

To me it's comparable to playing basketball on the road etc.

If anything I feel like bikes should share side walks with pedestrians, the consequences of a biker hitting a pedestrian are likely less severe than a car hitting a cyclist etc.

Nssan 06-01-2015 09:49 AM

It seems the tables have turned and this has become 'blame the riders'. How many times when you were driving, you were more scared of the cyclist on the side of the road then they were? So normally, a sober driver would have taken precautions to make sure there was enough room for both to occupy the road. Obviously, the reason this tragedy happened was because this driver was not sober and did not properly handle the vehicle.

Galactic_Phantom 06-01-2015 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonturbo (Post 8643178)
Bikers who are biking because that is their method of transportation have the right to complain about drivers... But those that are biking on the roads for the sake of leisure or sport (not to get from point a to point b) should not be using the road IMO.

To me it's comparable to playing basketball on the road etc.

If anything I feel like bikes should share side walks with pedestrians, the consequences of a biker hitting a pedestrian are likely less severe than a car hitting a cyclist etc.

Cyclists complain about everything yet they're the ones who don't adhere to the laws of the road. No offence to anyone here who bikes but in the lm all I see are bikes weaving in and out of traffic and running red lights. Its starting to be like Taiwan here. Except there they don't even run red lights..

yray 06-01-2015 10:48 AM

mt currie stretch of the 99 is 50km/h and narrow as fuck

BoostedBB6 06-01-2015 12:44 PM

There is 0 confirmation of impaired driving, simply a witness assuming based upon how the vehicle was operated. So to assume he was drunk is not really fair.

There is so little information to go on from this article to judge anything. For all we know, the onlooker could have seen him trying to avoid a biker who was falling over, swerved, hit 2 bikers and went down an embankment killing his passenger and injuring him.....just saying that there is to little to know anything other than 3 dead and one injured.

westopher 06-01-2015 12:46 PM

At the very least, for him to kill 2 cyclists AND the passenger that was in the car, on a stretch of road that was 50km/h, its safe to say there was gross recklessness involved to some degree.

canali 06-01-2015 12:53 PM

see news link here: seems riders crashed right into passenger side

see the latest news update/pics/video below;

Cyclists in deadly Pemberton collision identified | CTV Vancouver News

check out the damage to the car: 2 cyclists coming down a long descent FAST into a car that is coming towards them
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/cyclists-killed...ends-1.2400799

seems that one or both of the riders crashed right into the passengers's side
....someone in a passenger seat in that car would have been smoked with such forces coming at them.

..news reports indicate that the cyclists were on a long and fast descent when this driver, going uphill, crossed lanes and slammed into them....what a mess, I'm sure.

another alleged drunk driver takes down a few more...toss the book--and hard!-- at em.
no one, whether it be thru booze, meds or weed, should be driving impaired, endangering the lives of others.

Hondaracer 06-01-2015 01:08 PM

You can kill your own three kids in cold blood in this province and be out cruising for chicks at metro on day passes in 3 years. Nothing of consequence will happen in this backward fucking system

flagella 06-01-2015 02:03 PM

While Hot Karl's comments are pretty harsh, I do agree with what he said in terms of accepting the risk when biking. This is actually one of the reasons I never got into motorcycle although I very much wanted to. I'm definitely not a fan of taking risks, particularly when it involves taking risks that are not in my control (all it takes is some idiot driver who fails to notice you to kill you). This is truly a sad incident and I hope the driver gets his rectum resized in prison, but the moment these cyclists decided to cycle on highways, they have accepted such risk.

murd0c 06-01-2015 05:03 PM

I just confirmed the guy that hit them was drunk, he required brain surgery today

Jmac 06-01-2015 05:21 PM

I dislike cyclists as much as the next motorist, but the complete lack of empathy is appalling.

Hondaracer 06-01-2015 05:55 PM

the driver was already suspended for DUI and wasnt suppose to be driving, couple native guys from pemberton kill "staples of the community" from whistler, nice

Y2K_o__o 06-01-2015 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8643108)
I hope he stays alive long enough to have the remorse absolutely destroy him first. Prison can be a fate worse than death for some.

No way!
our medical expense is really heavy now
Letting him alive is just a burden to our bill

GS8 06-01-2015 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8643331)
I just confirmed the guy that hit them was drunk, he required brain surgery today

Should have had brain surgery before he decided drinking and driving was a-ok