REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Is Sydney Leroux a traitor? (Fifa Women's World Cup) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703809-sydney-leroux-traitor-fifa-womens-world-cup.html)

NotRevSeen 06-08-2015 02:22 PM

Is Sydney Leroux a traitor? (Fifa Women's World Cup)

Sup guys back here posting after a long hiatus. Fucking mad at work like a pleb saving for aftermarket mods for the STi!

So I don't get it at all. This woman was born in SURREY BC, Canada and has the unmitigated gall to represent USA. FailFish Talk about rustling jimmies
Would you call her a traitor for not representing Canada here in Vancouver? It's been reported that Leroux has subsequently been the target of racial taunting from fans for her decision to wear the red, white & blue jersey.

I don't follow Women's soccer so I don't know if she's a superstar or if she's even any good. However by judging from her pictures she's one of the better looking female soccer players and seems to have gained lots of attention for her 'image'

It appears the US team are favorites to win the tournament so it's likely she'll be playing in the final 16 bracket here at BC Place. The gf & I plan on going to the games if Canada & USA face off and I'll be booing her and rooting my ass off for Christine Sinclair and the rest of the Canadian team.

Anyone got the scoop on her since she's from Surrey. Do you know her or have a friend that went to school with her?

Manic! 06-08-2015 02:53 PM

Old news. We can can rub it in her face when we win gold.

7seven 06-08-2015 02:58 PM

I'm good it, from what I understand she holds dual citizenship, so its her choice to choose what nation she wishes to represent, Brett Hull did the same. Athletes from other countries have chosen to represent Canada after acquiring citizenship instead of their birth country/country they grew up in, I'm sure these Canadians booing her didn't have any issue and cheered for Tyler Myers playing for team Canada in hockey or Daniel Igali or Donovan Bailey in the Olympics.

Jmac 06-08-2015 02:58 PM

She has dual citizenship.

Tyler Myers, Sean Couturier, and Marcus Foligno all played for Canada despite being from the US.

murd0c 06-08-2015 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8645946)
Old news. We can can rub it in her face when we win gold.

My thought's exactly, we don't need someone on our team like that anyways.

Manic! 06-08-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8645949)
She has dual citizenship.

Maybe this could be a good use for Bill C-24.

Traum 06-08-2015 03:09 PM

Dude, are you new to football at all? This type of thing happens all the damn time in the sports world, and especially so in the football world.

You have to realize that in typical, normal world, the typical person tends thinks of themselves, their future career, their grown potential, yada yada before the thought of national pride even crosses their minds. In the case of Ms. Leroux, she may or may not consider herself more American than Canadian. But I am pretty damn sure that she is 1000% aware of the fact that her career growth potential as a female football player is infinitely bigger in the US than it would be if she stayed in Canada.

Even though the MLS doesn't compare to other major league sports in N.America in terms of glamour, profile, status, pay scales, etc., I remember reading that in terms of the number of actual participation in the sport at the amateur level, football is actually very strong in the US. The popularity of the sport is also on the upswing, with the gradual shift in demographics in the US towards a larger Hispanic population and their greater appetite for football. Skill level of the MLS is also improving. If you may recall, Team USA delivered one of their best performances at the FIFA World Cup last year with a narrow defeat by Belgium.

All of this means the Canadian football market is significantly smaller than what the US football market is shaping up to become. As an aspiring individual, you seek out the best opportunity that will propel yourself the furthest, and this is especially true for athletes since they have such a short career span. To call her a sellout / traitor is just ignorant.

While we're on the topic, may I remind you of who Owen Hargreaves is? I recommend you to google him up and put yourself into his shoes. Would you have stayed in Canada if you were him? or would you have done what he did and took advantage of his British identity?

Harvey Specter 06-08-2015 03:21 PM

I have a friend who was born in Vancouver but his parents are Portuguese and he was the back up goalie for Portugal during the 2010 World Cup because team Canada passed on him. Like Traum said, this sort of thing happens all the time especially when it comes to soccer.

adambomb 06-08-2015 03:42 PM

moar bikini pics. :notbad:

misogyny in women's football FTW. :drama:

StylinRed 06-08-2015 04:15 PM

it's womens football...who cares? watching the games so far on tv have been worse than the Under-17 guys wc

(im going to the game tomorrow :P)

SkinnyPupp 06-08-2015 04:36 PM

*soccer

Tim Budong 06-08-2015 06:41 PM

Jonathan de Guzmán
Born Canadian, plays for the Dutch national program

suck it OP... fail thread is fail

XplicitLuder 06-08-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8645982)
*soccer

no

Brianrietta 06-08-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Budong (Post 8646045)
Jonathan de Guzmán
Born Canadian, plays for the Dutch national program

Yep, while his brother is the captain of Canada's mens soccer team.

Like everyone said, lots of examples of people choosing to play elsewhere. Asmir Begović playing for the Bosnia-Herzegovina team is another example after having played with the Canadians as a youth. The obvious difference between Begović, Hargreaves or de Guzman is that they play for teams that greatly outclass the men's team that they would otherwise play in. It's much easier to feel happy for people playing for other countries when there is a huge gulf in ranking between the prospective teams. The controversy with Leroux playing for the states is similar to Diego Costa's switch from Brazil to Spain, and we all know how that played out for Costa and Spain last WC. Let's just hope that the US crashes and burns early as well and we can have the last laugh.

ScizzMoney 06-08-2015 07:57 PM

Happens in favor of Canada as well. I don't see people condemning them when they are succeeding.

Steve Nash is the biggest name. But, he is a Canadian citizen so I think he has every right to rep Canada when he did. He was a toddler when he moved to Canada.
Milos Raonic is in the same situation.

I can't think of any others but I'm sure there are more.

The_AK 06-08-2015 08:16 PM

lol this happens all the time

Verdasco 06-08-2015 08:36 PM

who in the NHL has dual citizenship and plays for Canada/USA?

CorneringArtist 06-08-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianrietta (Post 8646078)
Yep, while his brother is the captain of Canada's mens soccer team.

Like everyone said, lots of examples of people choosing to play elsewhere. Asmir Begović playing for the Bosnia-Herzegovina team is another example after having played with the Canadians as a youth. The obvious difference between Begović, Hargreaves or de Guzman is that they play for teams that greatly outclass the men's team that they would otherwise play in. It's much easier to feel happy for people playing for other countries when there is a huge gulf in ranking between the prospective teams. The controversy with Leroux playing for the states is similar to Diego Costa's switch from Brazil to Spain, and we all know how that played out for Costa and Spain last WC. Let's just hope that the US crashes and burns early as well and we can have the last laugh.

Begovic's case was his heritage. As an emigrant during the Yugoslav wars, he did cap for Canada's U-20 team, but considering he was born in Bosnia, it was partly expected that he would move to that national team.

If you want a Canadian who's being a complete shit about national football allegiances, have a look at Junior Hoilett. He's toiling in lower English leagues, but refuses to play for Canada for whatever reason. He can also play for Jamaica, but doesn't, but REALLY wants to play for England (good luck with that on top of being ineligible due to various rules). So, he's wasting his national team call-ups because he wants to play for national teams where the talent pool is deep enough.

underscore 06-08-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7seven (Post 8645948)
I'm good it, from what I understand she holds dual citizenship, so its her choice to choose what nation she wishes to represent, Brett Hull did the same. Athletes from other countries have chosen to represent Canada after acquiring citizenship instead of their birth country/country they grew up in, I'm sure these Canadians booing her didn't have any issue and cheered for Tyler Myers playing for team Canada in hockey or Daniel Igali or Donovan Bailey in the Olympics.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/bf/bf03...340874aee2.jpg

Jmac 06-08-2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8646105)
who in the NHL has dual citizenship and plays for Canada/USA?

As previously mentioned in this thread, Brett Hull (USA), Tyler Myers (Canada), Sean Couturier (Canada), both Folignos (Marcus played for Canada, Nick for the US).

Also, Cam Fowler (USA), Brandon Kozun (Canada), Adam Lowry (Canada), Jamie Oleksiak (Canada), Paul Stastny (USA).

jonwon 06-08-2015 09:09 PM

She from Surrey.

dvst8 06-08-2015 09:10 PM

OP is obviously butt hurt. Whats the point in getting the 'scoop' on her? So you can sleep better at night?

It's her career and shes looking out for her best interests. Move on man. Move on....

Tim Budong 06-08-2015 09:15 PM

Yes Jack Eichel is pure American...
but this is pretty funny

ae101 06-08-2015 09:57 PM

OP should just cont his long hiatus

Hehe 06-08-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8645982)
*soccer

Just no.

-----------------------

I think it's her freedom to choose which country to represent as she is literally half and half (born to Canadian and American parents) No reason to accuse her of anything.