REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #176
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post

it'll be like the 1st pick...
...of the second round

almost draft day...is tsn still showing it? or is it exclusively on sn now?
I'm surprised that NYR turned down 2 seconds for Talbot, I know they want a player that can play now but NYR is up against the cap with important players to sign this off season. NYR has also traded away so many picks in the last 3 years on top of trading away probably their best prospect in Duclair.

I hope TSN is going to have live draft coverage, I don't want to listen to SN commentators for the whole draft
Advertisement
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #177

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Draft will be televised on Sportsnet

TSN crew wil be with NBC apparently...
Old 06-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #178
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,683 Posts
Let's sign this petition to convince Benning to keep Eddie! #keeplack

https://www.change.org/p/vancouver-c...eep-eddie-lack

Do you like hockey? tacos? Swedes? dancing? winning?!

If the answer to any of the above was yes then sign this petition!

Eddie Lack is the best young goalie the Canucks have had in a long time. This extremely talented, goofy, taco-chowing, victory-dancing Swede is a fan favourite and someone we should be building this team around...not trading! Here's your chance to let Benning and the gang know how you feel, before its too late! Sign this petition and tell Canucks to #keeplack
Old 06-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #179
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
yes, benning will listen to us because we created a 1000 signature petition...

/sarcasm
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #180
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post

Eddie Lack is the best young goalie the Canucks have had in a long time. This extremely talented, goofy, taco-chowing, victory-dancing Swede is a fan favourite and someone we should be building this team around...not trading! Here's your chance to let Benning and the gang know how you feel, before its too late! Sign this petition and tell Canucks to #keeplack
yea idk why we'd keep the more expensive, older goalie when they have relatively similar production
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #181
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:

sorry brah but...
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
yea idk why we'd keep the more expensive, older goalie when they have relatively similar production
Cause Miller has little-to-no trade value and other teams don't want him and his 6M contract
Old 06-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #183
My homepage has been set to RS

If NYR turned down 2 2nd round picks I hope JB can get them and if not maybe a 2nd rounder and a prospect?

Is Talbot that good havent heard of the guy till this year? And how the fuck does Sather turn down 2 2nd round picks? What does he actually think Talbot is worth? a first rounder?
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #184

After Lundqvist got injured, Talbot took over and went 16-4-3

..I'd say he's pretty good
Old 06-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #185

hmm very interdasting!!!! Meh small sample size I would say...
Old 06-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #186

In the 13-14 season he went 12-6-1 with a .941 save % and 1.64 GAA as a backup up to Lundqvist. He has played on a pretty good team in NY but on a lot of nights he was NYR's best player when Lundqvist was injured.

It is a small sample size, but I think he has shown he's capable of being a starting goalie. Who knows how he would be on a team like the Oilers or Buffalo where he would be getting exposed and left out to dry much more than in NY, I guess we'll find out if he gets traded.

I would of just liked to see Sather take the 2 second round picks, NYR hasn't picked in the first round since 2012 and their 2016 first round pick was traded to the Coyotes along with their best prospect in Duclair so any picks even just near the first round help. I get that it's now or never for NYR and am happy Sather realizes that but the future is going to grim for the Rangers if they don't start restocking some of these picks & prospects
Old 06-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #187
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Obviously everyone loves the tall, goofy Swede but trading him is a good hockey move. I'd rather trade Markstrom but we aren't trading Miller so trading Lack ultimately improves the team.

There's no room for your emotional attachment here.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #188

What does Sather expect hes going to get for Talbot? I mean 2 2nd round picks I think is over doing it...If he thinks hes worth a 1st he is crazy!
Old 06-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #189

Ekblad wins Calder.

That's about right. Kids gonna be a stud for the Panthers, next up, a Norris.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #190

Well deserved IMO, he had a great year. It was a great rookie class this year
Old 06-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #191

Price had to have the Vezina on lock.
he was on point for most of the season.

Lol is it just me or does Strombolopolous looks like he had the ultimate Vegas night before the awards
Old 06-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #192
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
lol at hudler
no shoes
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #193
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:

Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Obviously everyone loves the tall, goofy Swede but trading him is a good hockey move. I'd rather trade Markstrom but we aren't trading Miller so trading Lack ultimately improves the team.

There's no room for your emotional attachment here.

Look at the performance of Lack this season vs. Markstrom with the farm team. Although Markstrom played very well with Utica, success on the farm team doesn't always translate to the same level of performance in the NHL.

We know at least that Lack has played well with the Canucks and has playoff experience.

Miller is so inconsistent. Does the team really have dependable goaltending to get us into the playoffs to win post season games?

Can Miller and Markstrom help this team in the playoffs?

Big question marks about our goaltending. Yes, you will get a better return with trading Lack. I'm saying that Benning is overestimating Markstrom as a backup and Miller as a no. 1.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #195

For me, these next two or three years is not about making the playoffs. It's about re-building the team for the future. And if trading Lack will get us a decent draft pick, then so be it.
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #196

Yeah you're stating common knowledge.
Sure, Benning MAY be overestimating Markstrom and he MAY be overestimating Miller but he's also capitalizing on Lack's value which is quite high at the moment. That's what any GM would do who's got common sense. Exactly what would be the point of hanging onto a 27 year old goalie, a 35 year old untradeable starter and a 25 yr old RFA who may or may not walk to Europe for nothing if space for him is not made? Please tell me you won't keep Lack. It's a business. Doesn't matter if he's Jesus in pads, he's a commodity, the returns are good and it makes all the sense in the world to trade him so to suggest hanging onto him based on likeability is pretty cringe worthy. This ain't a Disney movie man, it's a business.

Let's get real, do you really think the Canucks will win the cup next year? It's gonna be another so-so year where we'd be lucky to reach the first round. It'll be another inch towards the progress of another core. I'm half hoping the wheels will fall off next season so we can start dumping old timers and accelerate the integration of youth.

So please, tell me what you'd do? Keep Lack? Sure, let's keep Lack. He'll usurp time from Miller, deprive the Canucks of a possible 2nd rounder and maybe even a 3rd rounder this year. Markstrom will most likely be butt hurt and walk away to Europe for nothing. So that leaves us with Miller, Lack, Cannata and Demko. Ok? So what's the plan genius? The season after that Lack will head off to Unrestricted Free Agency and with $6M tied up with Miller, Lack possibly in for a $4-5M raise, is that something that makes sense from a franchise perspective? To play a season with $10M+ tied up in goaltending? Keep in mind Miller is immoveable.

You act like he's some sort of young Lundvquist when he's probably just a couple of steps ahead of Markstrom with a chance of turning out to be a so-so NHL goalie. I'm no big Markstrom fan but the guy has never really had a straight stretch of games to test himself in the bigs so to suggest that he may not be ready as a backup is pointless. When will he be ready?

Seriously, the amount of man-crush reasoning behind that petition is so fucking annoying and embarrasses me as a Canucks fan. I'd give up on the franchise if they retained players based on fan likeability. It's even more annoying when people talk about the team like its a couple of moves away from being a Cup contender. I've got real expectation next season...to aim for playoff success would be like the crew from Jackass going straight to University for a PhD right after taping a stunt. You're either delusional or delusional if you think the team now has a chance of playoff success. At the best case scenario we're probably five years away from doing serious damage in the post season.

Last edited by 6o4__boi; 06-24-2015 at 07:44 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #197
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Lack's value can clearly be commanded by what Talbot gets
Or lack itself can command what Talbot is really worth

a bidding war for Eddie's service will probably happen
who knows, maybe we get a late first rounder cuz someone isn't available for said team and they need a goalie(i can't think of which team)
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #198

Quote:
Look at the performance of Lack this season vs. Markstrom with the farm team. Although Markstrom played very well with Utica, success on the farm team doesn't always translate to the same level of performance in the NHL.

We know at least that Lack has played well with the Canucks and has playoff experience.

Miller is so inconsistent. Does the team really have dependable goaltending to get us into the playoffs to win post season games?

Can Miller and Markstrom help this team in the playoffs?

Big question marks about our goaltending. Yes, you will get a better return with trading Lack. I'm saying that Benning is overestimating Markstrom as a backup and Miller as a no. 1.
do you understand that miller has no fucking trade market? you sound like fucking pratt. "buuuuuuuuuuut san jose needs an older goalie because they wont rebuild so send miller there ".
millers a 30+ goalie making 6million, he was incredibly average, had injuries, and there's a market full of young, cheap goalies with potential.
so that means either markstrom or lack to trade. if you were another team which would you want? pretty obvious, lack.
sorry your petition wont do shit either. common sense please
Old 06-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Yeah you're stating common knowledge.
Sure, Benning MAY be overestimating Markstrom and he MAY be overestimating Miller but he's also capitalizing on Lack's value which is quite high at the moment. That's what any GM would do who's got common sense. Exactly what would be the point of hanging onto a 27 year old goalie, a 35 year old untradeable starter and a 25 yr old RFA who may or may not walk to Europe for nothing if space for him is not made? Please tell me you won't keep Lack. It's a business. Doesn't matter if he's Jesus in pads, he's a commodity, the returns are good and it makes all the sense in the world to trade him so to suggest hanging onto him based on likeability is pretty cringe worthy. This ain't a Disney movie man, it's a business.

Let's get real, do you really think the Canucks will win the cup next year? It's gonna be another so-so year where we'd be lucky to reach the first round. It'll be another inch towards the progress of another core. I'm half hoping the wheels will fall off next season so we can start dumping old timers and accelerate the integration of youth.

So please, tell me what you'd do? Keep Lack? Sure, let's keep Lack. He'll usurp time from Miller, deprive the Canucks of a possible 2nd rounder and maybe even a 3rd rounder this year. Markstrom will most likely be butt hurt and walk away to Europe for nothing. So that leaves us with Miller, Lack, Cannata and Demko. Ok? So what's the plan genius? The season after that Lack will head off to Unrestricted Free Agency and with $6M tied up with Miller, Lack possibly in for a $4-5M raise, is that something that makes sense from a franchise perspective? To play a season with $10M+ tied up in goaltending? Keep in mind Miller is immoveable.

You act like he's some sort of young Lundvquist when he's probably just a couple of steps ahead of Markstrom with a chance of turning out to be a so-so NHL goalie. I'm no big Markstrom fan but the guy has never really had a straight stretch of games to test himself in the bigs so to suggest that he may not be ready as a backup is pointless. When will he be ready?

Seriously, the amount of man-crush reasoning behind that petition is so fucking annoying and embarrasses me as a Canucks fan. I'd give up on the franchise if they retained players based on fan likeability. It's even more annoying when people talk about the team like its a couple of moves away from being a Cup contender. I've got real expectation next season...to aim for playoff success would be like the crew from Jackass going straight to University for a PhD right after taping a stunt. You're either delusional or delusional if you think the team now has a chance of playoff success. At the best case scenario we're probably five years away from doing serious damage in the post season.
All strong points. This brings me to my point about our goaltending, our no. 1 goalie.

Miller is not my first choice as our no. 1. Please, no Miller Time! Miller is past his prime. If you're talking about man crushes, I think Benning based part of his decision to sign Miller last year based on this goalie's past performances with Buffalo. He had his man crush on Miller because he saw him play for Buffalo when he worked for that franchise.

Ryan Miller did squat for the Blues during the playoffs last year. -didn't help St. Louis. Look at his stats in the playoffs with the Blues:

2013–14 St. Louis Blues NHL 6 (GP) 2 4 422 19 0 2.70 (GAA) .897 (SV%)

How patient are you guys when it comes to waiting for this team to be a Stanley Cup contender?

Do I need to wait 8, 9, 10 plus years for the Canucks to be in the Stanley Cup Finals again?
Old 06-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #200

Yeah, you probably do. We all will.
you gotta accept it man.
I share the same point with you on Miller but he's here to stay, $6M a year tends to do that. We can rag on him all we want and bring up his shit stats but he's not going anywhere.
I'd wait 10 years... we probably all will in all likelihood for this team to build a proper contender.

We don't even have a proper forward core to succeed the Sedins. We don't have Norris or Norris-caliber d. We have a decent prospect pool and that's about it so even my 5 year estimation is looking pretty generous at this point unless boho continues to break out, McCann seamlessly steps in and Jordan Subban becomes PK2.0 the only thing we can do is hope they build without taking dumb shortcuts
This post thanked by: