REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #1576
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Not particularly excited. Realistically, we aren't winning a Cup with the lineup we've got. If there's no shot at a Cup, we're just playing for regular season bragging rights...and that just lowers your draft pick so...not a lot going for the Canucks this season.
IMO, anything can happen when you make it to the playoffs.

One hot goalie, one hot scoring streak, puck luck, injuries. I don't care how many president's trophies you've won, playoffs is a totally different game.
Advertisement
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #1577
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I think we'll be competitive. We definitely downgraded skillwise on paper, but we definitely improved in the work ethic department. We have too many guys who leave it all on the ice every game to tank, for sure. I'll be happy if we make the playoffs, if not, oh well. Can't be worse than watching the latter half of the Torts season or the Keenan era and I managed to live through that (honourable mention to the garbage Nonis brought us; if it weren't for Lu, those teams would've been bottom 5 for sure).
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #1578
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
we'll be a playoff spot killer team and draft 10-14 overall

another wasted year
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #1579
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,266 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
My optimism and hope died ages ago. I think at this point I'm just glad hockey's back. I gave up being optimistic about the Canucks cus it's been one let down after another. Now instead of, "Oh i'm stoked and really optimistic about the coming season!" it's "Surprise me."

I wouldn't say i'm excited. I'm not optimistic either.
The only exciting part for me will be seeing how the new players fit into and the potential of prospects having good training camps and challenging for roster spot.

The very best thing that can happen this season is a prospect having a break out season. I have very low expectations in terms of winning or making the playoffs. If they somehow turn out a good season and develop some prospects, great! If not, oh well I saw that coming.
Last year, ditto. Horvat

Zero expectations again this year.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #1580

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
I hope the Canucks tank so they can draft one of these franchise players in the 2016 draft:

Auston Matthews
Jakob Chychrun
Jesse Puljujarvi
Max Jones
Matthew Tkachuk
Logan Brown
Old 08-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #1581

They say Chychrun is better than ekblad at his age
Old 08-18-2015, 09:55 PM   #1582

hes kind of injury prone though
Old 08-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #1583
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
IMO, anything can happen when you make it to the playoffs.

One hot goalie, one hot scoring streak, puck luck, injuries. I don't care how many president's trophies you've won, playoffs is a totally different game.
it's the Canucks lol...that anything can happen rule exempts the Canucks, Buffalo, St Louis, Toronto (i might be missing some but you get the gist)
You're better off having nil expectations...especially in the playoffs.
Hell, if this team makes the playoffs i'd be pretty happy already...means something must've gone right.

Puujarvi, Matthews or Tkachuk would be awesome if we blow this season
doubt that's gonna happen though.

I'll be keeping an eye out for Matthews and see how he does under Crow.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #1584
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
I hope the Canucks tank so they can draft one of these franchise players in the 2016 draft:

Auston Matthews
Jakob Chychrun
Jesse Puljujarvi
Max Jones
Matthew Tkachuk
Logan Brown
#Tank4Matthews
#AllIn4Auston
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:19 AM   #1585
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Anything can't happen by just making it.

A team like the flames, nucks, etc will never overcome two teams In a row like the ducks/Hawks etc
Old 08-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #1586
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
McDavid and Eichel should make this season interesting. I am hoping that NYR can make another deep playoff run, Lundqvist needs to win a cup.
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #1587
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

No he doesnt. Canucks need to win a cup
Old 08-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #1588
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post

Auston Matthews
Jakob Chychrun
Jesse Puljujarvi
Max Jones
Matthew Tkachuk
Logan Brown
It's almost funny how visibly irritated linden sounded on the radio when it was suggested the best way to win is to tank for multiple years to acquire top end draft picks. I for one agree with linden
1) no draft pick is a slam dunk, not even mcjesus
2) Vancouver market will not accept a tank season or three. The bandwagon is already quite roomy despite the team exceeding expectations last year. Seasons ticket waitlist went from ~5 years to none in basically half a season
3) aquaman would never allow a tank season

TL seems content on plodding along as a middling team during these transitional years and instead rely on scouting and player development to back their future success. That's no slam dunk either, and some may even think that's a pretty grim option, but at least it's realistic, maybe
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #1589
Rs has made me the man i am today!

No team purposely tanks and no owner would allow it. Sometimes the fanboys forget this is all a business. And no business sets a plan to purposely lose money.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #1590

^ i dunno about that...it's definitely not a common thing but there are exceptions.
Buffalo last year would beg to differ, i'm preeeeetty sure they were tanking on purpose.
There were also few teams in the past that were probably playing tank wars for "generational" talents.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
No team purposely tanks and no owner would allow it. Sometimes the fanboys forget this is all a business. And no business sets a plan to purposely lose money.
Buffalo did for 2 seasons and the make up for that profit will generate for a decade of playoff hockey and probably a top 8-10 team

If Edmonton accepted bottom feeding team for 10 years why cant us? Because we live in Vancouver and everything needs to be high standards?
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #1592
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
We were a top 10 team last year (and every year since '08-'09 except the Torts season). Buffalo tanked to get to where we are now?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #1593
Rs has made me the man i am today!

So your telling me..let me get this straight. The owner who has invested millions into the team told the GM "hey lets tank so I can lose money for two years"...yeah fucking right
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #1594
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
Buffalo did for 2 seasons and the make up for that profit will generate for a decade of playoff hockey and probably a top 8-10 team

If Edmonton accepted bottom feeding team for 10 years why cant us? Because we live in Vancouver and everything needs to be high standards?
The reason why Edmonton can do it and we can't is because Edmonton has true fans and they will show up win or lose... Actually every teams in Canada has true fans that show up to the games unlike the Canucks and the corporate crowd they have...
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #1595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
We were a top 10 team last year (and every year since '08-'09 except the Torts season). Buffalo tanked to get to where we are now?
The Business Of Hockey - Forbes

yup, Buffalo tanked to get to where we are now
Old 08-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #1596
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
The reason why Edmonton can do it and we can't is because Edmonton has true fans and they will show up win or lose... Actually every teams in Canada has true fans that show up to the games unlike the Canucks and the corporate crowd they have...
Average ticket price by Canadian teams:
1. Leafs - $446.25
2. Oilers - $328.33
3. Canucks - $296.56
4. Flames - $264.92
5. Jets - $252.67
6. Canadians - $219.43
7. Senators - $190.08

http://blog.tiqiq.com/2013/09/2013-1...t-prices-team/

IMHO, the average price can't be more than $200 if you want anything even resembling a non-corporate crowd at Rogers Arena - even that'll be a stretch.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #1597
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Expensive cost of living in Vancouver + high ticket costs = corporate crowd

There's just no way around it.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #1598

Gotta lose to win

We've always been winning at a steady pace. So sneak into the playoff every year and call it success.

If that's the case we should just get players to win individual trophies. Sedin won back to back art Ross and still no respect for them....
Old 08-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #1599
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
So your telling me..let me get this straight. The owner who has invested millions into the team told the GM "hey lets tank so I can lose money for two years"...yeah fucking right
Yes.

But you're leaving out the part where he can hopefully make boat loads of money for the following decade, win a cup, etc. This is the stuff dreams are built on. It's a risky game they (buffalo) played but now they are full of hope and optimism. Give it 3 years and let's see where they are at. My guess is it won't be that much further along than before they dismantled and blew up the team
Old 08-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #1600
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
Not convinced Edmonton had been trying to tank for the last 10 years in a row. They just genuinely sucked. His many times did oilers fans say "we're going to make it next season just you watch. X that we just drafted will anchor the new dynasty and those guys we drafted the past couple years are due to break out." who knew you needed dmen and a goalie to be an actual decent team
This post thanked by: