REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #8126
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
dim jim needs to start kicking tires at other college UFA goalies to at least create a prospect pool...at this rate we'll need Chris Levesque to get out of the kitchen and back into his goalie equipment sometime next year

if Demko isn't signed by the week before the draft, they should at least get a feel for what he could fetch for in the market and do some leg work on possible trades

but then again, this management is great at fucking losing assets for nothing
Advertisement
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #8127
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
dim jim needs to start kicking tires at other college UFA goalies to at least create a prospect pool...at this rate we'll need Chris Levesque to get out of the kitchen and back into his goalie equipment sometime next year

if Demko isn't signed by the week before the draft, they should at least get a feel for what he could fetch for in the market and do some leg work on possible trades

but then again, this management is great at fucking losing assets for nothing
We're basically left with three scenarios:

1) Demko decides to turn pro, we sign him.
2) Demko decides to re-commit to the NCAA, we trade him.
3) Demko decides to re-commit to the NCAA, we keep him.

Now, 2 seems preferable to 3 at face value, but I would imagine that his trade value will severely diminish once he makes the decision to return to school as potential trade partners will be in the same predicament we would be.

If Demko decides to return to school, would you be okay with receiving say a 5th round pick in exchange for his rights?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #8128

yeah...i can live with a 5th
it's better than having him commit to school and get fucked like Nashville got when all is said and done
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
Old 04-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #8129
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
I would rather gamble on him signing with us then give him away for a 5th rounder. UNLESS he specifically tells management he does not want to sign in vancouver.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #8130

Melanson leaving

Heart tugs Melanson home; Canucks losing Rollie the goalie coach | Vancouver Sun
Quote:
After 35 years in professional hockey, the last six seasons with the Vancouver Canucks, Melanson still knows where he needs to be next. And it is not here. It’s in Shediac, N.B., the lobster fishing town where he grew up, to spend time with his 84-year-old mother, Albertine. And in Montreal, where he’ll figure out with his fiancée, Lyne, what kind of life they’ll live and where.

At age 55, among the best in his highly-specialized profession, Melanson will be leaving the Canucks and could be leaving professional hockey, too.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #8131
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,318 Times in 5,637 Posts
A 5th rounder for the best goalie prospect available, basically anywhere in the world?

Are you guys on crack? Fuck if we can't get him signed we're fucking finished.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #8132

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
I would rather gamble on him signing with us then give him away for a 5th rounder. UNLESS he specifically tells management he does not want to sign in vancouver.
But what if he says he want to explore his options at FA? Vancouver just isn't gonna win a competition where there will be multiple teams vying for his services.
That 5th would still be better than nothing.

Sucks that Rollie is leaving but this one was a long time coming. Looks like Clouts will be coming in FT and maybe Alex Auld in some supporting role.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #8133
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
But what if he says he want to explore his options at FA? Vancouver just isn't gonna win a competition where there will be multiple teams vying for his services.
That 5th would still be better than nothing.

Sucks that Rollie is leaving but this one was a long time coming. Looks like Clouts will be coming in FT and maybe Alex Auld in some supporting role.
Ugh, no.

Where are you getting this info from?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #8134
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Clouts has been a part time goalie coach with the Comets the last couple of years... They better not bring him to the Canucks for more then a supporting role
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #8135

Mind you, it's from the provies but there was a collection of tweets I can't find anymore that put Cloutier and Auld in the conversation.
Medicine Hat and Dallas-related staff also in the running lol.

The Provies: Daniel goes off and everything you need to know about the Rollie situation. | The Province

Quote:
Well, one of the worst kept Canucks secrets is now out.

Funny this, because it wasn’t that long ago that Linden said Willie and his staff were coming back.

Melanson’s contract is up at the end of the year, and for a variety of reasons, it’s expected he’ll be gone. Though, he will sit down with management and talk about a potential extension with the team but when the season is over.

Nothing is officially a done deal.

These things are always complex.

There’s just never a lot of openings so can Melanson can find another fit at what the Canucks pay? Sometimes for a coach like him, people make room.

But most have believed for some time, he’ll move East.

Part of it is personal, something head coach Willie Desjardins referenced when asked about it by Canucks.com reporter after the game.

Interesting that.

There was a long delay before Willie was made available tonight before what I would call an uncharacteristic question.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Canucks set something up to get ahead of a sensitive, potentially negative issue, after the report made it on HNIC.

The way I’ve heard it from several people, Alex Auld is a leading candidate to replace him, and it’s a job I think Auld would want, and one I’m sure he’d be good at.

There are players who would like this to happen.

Other candidates, under the premise Willie will be back, include Mike Valley, who is with Dallas and was essentially demoted into a development role. He has a close relationship with Willie.

And then there’s Eli Wilson, who worked with Willie in Medicine Hat, works privately with big names and should be back in the NHL.

Woodley also put this out:

That seems a long shot to me with Ranford’s contract status.

Melanson, obviously, would be a significant loss. He’s made every goalie that’s come through here better. Arguably, no coach has had more success developing goalies.

But he’s not irreplaceable.

Cloutier doesn’t get nearly enough credit for the work he’s put in with Markstrom. He has had more influence of the two on Markstrom’s development.

In fact, I’m unconvinced Markstrom and Melanson is a great fit. Now, Lack was a different story and probably would love Rollie to be in Carolina.

As far as Demko goes, Rollie wasn’t there at his first development camp.

Demko’s progression was always going to be mostly on Cloutier.

Cloutier would be at the top of the list, but, as Woodley said, it’s believed he’s happy where he is, apparently happy and making more as a development coach than some in the NHL.

Bill Ranford would be great...too bad he can't get out of his contract with LA

Last edited by 6o4__boi; 04-11-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:18 PM   #8136
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
I don't know how cloutier is as a goalie coach. Maybe teach them how to fight? But goaltending?
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #8137

He's been a goaltending coach for 5 years (1 OHL, 4 x AHL). He had a hand in developing Lack and Markstrom, both have given him good reviews.

I'd prefer someone with a longer resume, though.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #8138
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
I don't know how cloutier is as a goalie coach. Maybe teach them how to fight? But goaltending?
he was still an nhl goalie and even tho he drove us crazy he still knows the game and the market better then most people out there. It's better having someone with real nhl experience then someone that doesn't
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #8139

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
he was still an nhl goalie and even tho he drove us crazy he still knows the game and the market better then most people out there. It's better having someone with real nhl experience then someone that doesn't
Francois Allaire never played professional hockey. He started as a goaltending coach at age 19 and, arguably, is the most influential goaltending coach ever, inventing the butterfly goaltending style.

His brother, Benoit Allaire, has been the goaltending coach for the New York Rangers for the past 12 years. Another guy who never played pro hockey.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #8140
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Cloutier might've had epic level meltdowns as a goalie, but Markstrom and Lack have nothing but great things to say about him as a goalie coach.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #8141
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
Fingers crossed that Benoit Allaire never leaves the NYR organization. He has done a great job with Lundqvist and Talbot.
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #8142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Cloutier might've had epic level meltdowns as a goalie, but Markstrom and Lack have nothing but great things to say about him as a goalie coach.

Probably showed em what he does to Swedish goalies that piss him off
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 06:41 AM   #8143
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
Those who cannot do, teach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #8144
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
JB and WD answer questions from reporters during the end of season press conference:

Old 04-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #8145

Note: The first 10 minutes are just an "End of Season Media Availability" screen.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #8146
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Benning
  • Goal is to make playoffs while transitioning young players, praised Markstrom, Horvat, Bae, and Hutton.
  • Blamed injuries to experienced players, forcing young players into bigger roles
  • Asked about where he sees the team next year, kinda avoided the question, said younger players will have to get better if they want to be competitive
  • Praised Boeser, said he'd be a first line player, said if we end up with a top 3 pick we'll get another potential first line player
  • Believes you need a true #1 guy to win, believes when Edler is at his best he can be that guy
  • Looking to add college free agents, believes Philip Larsen will help PP and producing offence
  • Said Burr and Hammer are class acts, will figure out their futures next week ith coaches and management, will also decide on RFA's
  • Sat down with Demko and Boeser's parents & agents, Boeser going back to ND, trying to sign Demko
  • Looking to add piece in free agency in 22-28 age range that will help them compete, mentioned D and Wingers
  • Need good mix of young players and veterans
  • Leaves who plays in net up to coaches, thinks Markstrom and Miller both had good years
  • Went through 35 players this year, had a look at a lot of different guys
  • Believes Miller is important in Markstrom's development, believes goalies take longer to develop, extremely happy with goalies
  • Will take BPA, doesn't see defensemen in top 3
  • Demko competitive, angry about loss in frozen four, Jim will let him go through his decision making process with his parents an agent
  • Still talking with Rollie Melanson, he's dealing with family issues, his role might change but will try to keep him involved
  • If Demko signs, will be patient with development
  • Didn't rule out signing of Loui Eriksson
  • 1st and 2nd year players are thinking about themselves, with staying in the NHL, by 3rd year easier to think about the team game w/ stability
  • Top-3 players in draft can step right into the NHL and contribute
  • Doesn't believe asset management has been a problem
  • Chris Higgins was a tough decision, great attitude in Utica, part of the reason they called him back up, will decide on his future next week
  • Sees Pedan as defenseman, come a long way since trade, hes going back to Utica
  • Worried about Gaunce at center originally because his skating wasn't great, now that's improved so center is an option

Willie
  • Challenging year, impressed with McCann and Virtanen, proved they could play at NHL level
  • Horvat wanted to win, tried to make something happen every shift
  • Accountability is key with young players, even coaches (singled out himself)
  • Avoided question about where Willie himself could improve, going back to young players
  • Tryamkin has upside, knows what he has to do over summer, glad he got time near the end of the season
  • Asked about offence from defensemen, said powerplay wasn't good enough to get D points, says they need to play an aggressive style
  • More excitement with the team with more young guys, players were extremely positive in the interviews
  • Leaders have input in direction of team, Sedin's in particular, young leaders also have opportunity to voice their opinions
  • Burrows is a quality person, one of the best views of the game, lot of respect for him
  • McCann has skill, and an edge (referenced pushing back against Getzlaf)
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #8147

There were a few moments with Benning in that interview.

Paraphrasing - 'We went through 11 defensemen this season ... Out east, we would worry about who our 7th and 8th dmen were. Here, we need to worry about our 10th, 11th, and 12th dman.'

No shit ...

It's like he came in and said, "Everything the previous regime did was wrong, I know better." ... And is just now coming to the realization that maybe they did what they did for a reason ... Like sleep doctors, having a roster with good defensive depth, putting waiver-exempt players in the AHL (i.e. Tanev) for injury call-ups down the road even though they were better than some of the players on the NHL roster, etc.

Then he dances around Drance's questions regarding asset management ... Ugh ...

Plus Benning contradicted himself on multiple occassions.

Willie did okay in that interview. He's a good talker.

Last edited by Jmac; 04-12-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #8148
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Benning[*]Will take BPA, doesn't see defensemen in top 3
HALLELUJAH!!!! PRAISE THE LORDDDDDDD

(got so worried after someone mentioned jake bean )
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #8149

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts

RIP
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #8150

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
HALLELUJAH!!!! PRAISE THE LORDDDDDDD

(got so worried after someone mentioned jake bean )

Jake Bean is #13 in the NHL central scouting report today. lol

Dubois is 1st for N. American Skaters

It would be interesting to see who we draft if our pick falls out of the top 3.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote